Formula 1...

'Dale

• Replies 6.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Let me be the one... 70's and 80's had real cars.  :whistling:

No they just had bigger motors .... put one of them v12's in a modern car with an F1 ECU and iol burning and electric motor and bigger turbo ect. ect. , cars would probably tear themselves in half on pull away and speeds would reach 500km/h me thinks ..... which would in turn render the cars uncontrollable on modern tracks 

I think it's damn amazing what the cars do with tiny little 1600's  :whistling:

If we could just get the noises back  :drool:

No, the also did not fly/brake and whatever else by wire. They had no traction control, other than right foot. They had manual shifting - tell any of the current crop of drivers to remove their hand from the wheel for most of the lap of Monaco and I want to see their reaction.

They also only had a front and rear wing (flati-sh ones mostly) and not 500 mini aero pieces dangling everywhere. Air intakes at the sidepods were for cooling. Hot air went out the back because it was hot. Not shaped in such a way (by more aero) to stuff up airflow to the car behind you so that he can't overtake you. 

They had steering wheels instead of a control panel. You get in the car and drive it as is. You don't get to change diff settings, brake balance, etc  halfway during a race/lap. 

Oh yes, and all of that with the mentioned big engines and wide set of boots... 

Small wonder I'm not really following the modern-day scalectrix - with whiners for drivers. 

• 2 weeks later...

based on viewership, this is the real future of formula 1 ;)

watch it for a bit, play it in the background, and tell me it doesn't actually sound interesting...

Edited by Capricorn

watch it for a bit, play it in the background, and tell me it doesn't actually sound interesting...

there is also a motogp esports challenge. I must say, its getting more interest.

Those engine noises  :drool:

Random question - who else rode at Kyalami when an F1 team was testing there?

We were waiting to get onto the track while they finished their last few laps. Those things are LOUD. Way louder than I thought they'd be - you could pretty much hear them the whole lap.

Hmm was it Williams?

So for the uninformed like me - how does this work?

Let me be the one... 70's and 80's had real cars.  :whistling:

This means war!  :devil:  :devil:  :devil:

ALL of them were/are real. The whole point of the sport is to the at the forefront of technological advancement. It's a sport at the end of the day - if you fall behind, you lose $$$. They are constantly revising the rules to choke engineers and designers to make it about the driver and not the car, but they still find loop holes. 

Drivers make the cars!