• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 'Dale

• Hairy

• gummibear

• Eddy Gordo

Top Posters In This Topic

This pilot has nerves (and balls) of steel. This is a very dangerous maneuver he is executing, as the downwash of the rotors in such a confined space "bounces" off the bottom, and comes funneling back up as there is no horizontal escape. This new funnel of air coming back to the rotors causes the chopper to require more power, cancelling the "ground effect", basically causing it to lose lift resulting in an accelerated descent.

To fly like that in such a confined space deserves a medal.

It's a team effort of the pilot with the guidance of the hoist operator sitting in the back. Hoist operator guides the pilot in all directions while watching the main and tail rotors. It becomes even more difficult when hoist is deployed to try and drop the hook in the hands of rescuer on the ground asking the pilot to move 1-2 meters at a time as rescuer does not go after hook especially if you on a ledge. Btw the hoist operator was a lady. 

This pilot has nerves (and balls) of steel. This is a very dangerous maneuver he is executing, as the downwash of the rotors in such a confined space "bounces" off the bottom, and comes funneling back up as there is no horizontal escape. This new funnel of air coming back to the rotors causes the chopper to require more power, cancelling the "ground effect", basically causing it to lose lift resulting in an accelerated descent.

To fly like that in such a confined space deserves a medal.

not denying the skill required and displayed, I have a little RC helicopter that constantly crashes in much less confined spaces in my kitchen, but asking about the physics.

surely a tunnel/tubelike area like that would increase the ground affect? by pushing all the air down, you're compressing it below..which means more lift?...

not denying the skill required and displayed, I have a little RC helicopter that constantly crashes in much less confined spaces in my kitchen, but asking about the physics.

surely a tunnel/tubelike area like that would increase the ground affect? by pushing all the air down, you're compressing it below..which means more lift?...

Nope. There's nowhere for the disturbed air to go but back up. Heavy amounts of wash, which is in effect just turbulence. As a result, there's far less lift generated for a given rotor pitch / speed. 

Less air being able to be drawn from above the heli cos there's resistance from the air being pushed back up. 

Edited by Myles Mayhew