I have an idea for a new thread...

TNT1

Been contemplating a VR6 for a few years now. But just thoughts. Had a nicely tuned 1500 GLS after my first car which was a 2.8 skyline. Then after that I had a fairly substantially modded uno that was extremely quick robot to robot. This was before the days of chips and software tunes

That 2.8 V6 must still be one of the best sounding motors around. And every guy in my matric class' dream car. I wanted one, but couldn't afford the fuel, think it got like 7.5km a litre from what I remember, so I got a 20v RSI instead, had some mean dices with the VR6. You don't see VRs around anymore, I saw a Jetta one on the Eastrand the other day, and the fact that I saw one, made me aware of just how rare they are now.

There used to be some mean Uno Turbos at Sacks Circle on Friday nights..... one guy we used watch had his boosted to 320kw

Edited by Patchelicious

• Replies 78.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 'Dale

• Hairy

• gummibear

• Eddy Gordo

Top Posters In This Topic

Yoh that sounds like a project and a half.

The only thing that I have seen that sounds similar was a guy who squeezed a YPVS RD500 v4 into an Aprilia RS250 chassis!

When I was much younger, my old man had to sell his much beloved RD350LC due to cash issues. I've been looking around to buy him one, but damn they have become collectible. A good neat one is R80k plus now.

I owned a few RD's in my life, both the 125 and 350 variants. (both LC and YPVS)

My last one was a "basket" case, quite literally. I got the frame, engine casings and wheels, and two boxes of spares.Was an ex track bike. Took me more than a year to hunt down what was short to complete the build.

I had to settle on aftermarket spares for some parts, such as tailpiece, fairing and seat, just could not find any that was usable. Hardest part to find was the Tank.

Ended up a quite nice custom job, had the motor bored and stroked to about 380cc (kit I got through an buddy that used to race them in the 80's), nice flat slide carbs, carbon Booysen Reeds, and a shiny set of Bosson expansion pipes. It was sprayed BMW M3 yellow, with candy apple blue decals.

I called her "Elsie", and she went like the clappers.

Only RD I never owned, was the 500cc V4 YPVS. To this day it is still on my wishlist of bikes.

Edit: I used to be quite a tinkerer in my younger, pre cycling days. Now I just cannot afford to divert my funds to another hobby.  :whistling:  :ph34r:

Edited by Wannabe

Follow the signs with the blue dot they said - Trail maintenance employee last day on the job

attachicon.gifFullSizeRender (5).jpg

I did  a race yesterday that was 76km and was told to follow the blue dots.Halfway in we started getting double blue dots and blue arrows.Ended up doing 75km so guess i didn't go to far off course.

put this one on the sailing thread, but here it is to a wider audience.

father son team. kid is 26 and this is his 12th atlantic crossing. dad in his fifties has basically sailed the distance to the moon and back.

they set the new record for open cat transatlantic crossing, senegal to guagaloupe. No cabin on the boat, not even a stove so they basically ate nuts and energy bars for 11 days. and averaged just under 10 knots, day and night! this was done in April

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A-kk9uTFO5U

put this one on the sailing thread, but here it is to a wider audience.

father son team. kid is 26 and this is his 12th atlantic crossing. dad in his fifties has basically sailed the distance to the moon and back.

they set the new record for open cat transatlantic crossing, senegal to guagaloupe. No cabin on the boat, not even a stove so they basically ate nuts and energy bars for 11 days. and averaged just under 10 knots, day and night! this was done in April

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A-kk9uTFO5U

Also capsized twice, and kept going. Respect!

Yoh that sounds like a project and a half.

The only thing that I have seen that sounds similar was a guy who squeezed a YPVS RD500 v4 into an Aprilia RS250 chassis!

When I was much younger, my old man had to sell his much beloved RD350LC due to cash issues. I've been looking around to buy him one, but damn they have become collectible. A good neat one is R80k plus now.

Take a look at this! One for you, one for me.... :whistling:

http://www.junkmail.co.za/motoring/motorcycling-and-scooters/gauteng/johannesburg/sandton/yamaha-rz-350-and-yamaha-rd-500/66816198