MTB Specific: What Tyre Pressures

Theo18

• Replies 370
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i have to say, following the last few posts, that it would be better if some context was provided along with tyre pressures and rider weights. I'm referring to type of riding.

Track type: Jeep/farm track, single track (technical or manicured)

Rider profile: joy rider, or fast, technical riding etc.

I weigh 63kg's and run 2.1 bar front and rear on 26" 2.0 tyres. :)

Mostly jeep track and rocky stuff. Not too much manicured single track on Table Mountain! :D

Edited by mikkelz

• 5 weeks later...

Noob question but how do you guys check the pressure? Do you use a compressor or do you have pumps with gauges or what? If so, I obviously need to get one because mine doesn't have one and I just pomp until it "feels" right.

Get an electronic gauge, the foot pump gauges lose accuracy over time. That way you also save on buying a new foot pump.

You then need to play around with the pressures until you find the sweet spot. Also depends on the tire.

• 1 month later...

1.6 bar on a 2.35 front and 1.8 bar on a 2.30 rear. 95kg Tubless ZTR FLOW EX 650B duel suspension. I compensate for the terrain with the suspension damping and lockouts. I check the pressure every other ride. The lower the pressure the better. Better grip/traction uphill and smoother ride generally.

Get an electronic gauge, the foot pump gauges lose accuracy over time. That way you also save on buying a new foot pump.

You then need to play around with the pressures until you find the sweet spot. Also depends on the tire.

http://www.harborfreight.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/i/m/image_17211.jpg

Haven't seen one of those for a loooooooong time. :P

http://www.harborfreight.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/i/m/image_17211.jpg

Haven't seen one of those for a loooooooong time. :P

Love those things

I'm 84kg and run tubed tires @ 2.0 rear and 1.9 front and I hit the trails hard...Haven't had any snakebites..Touch wood..As soon as the tires are finished I'll be converting to tubeless.

• 3 weeks later...

So 80Kg on 26" Hardtail

Tubes 2.8 front and 3.0 rear

Just converted the front to tubless so it's at 2.0 now.

I usual bomb down technical stuff with speed. so the hard tires roll fast with no snakebites. :D

Edited by nakedpeanut

• 4 weeks later...