Things I've learnt from commuting

zeabre

one word rings out here for me... YSTER!!

Thanks hehe, but the Yster is going to kick in when temperatures drop to below 0 in torrential rain! 

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

At least you can have a Friesland milkshake when you get to work  :clap:

I try to avoid the hills  :blush:  :ph34r:

Cool thread.

This morning I learned something that I always assumed. Doesn't matter how bright your clothing and lights are... Consider yourself invisible.

Was cycling down jip de Jager this AM when a fudgenugget decided to quickly switch lanes and swerve into the yellow during the process. Didn't even indicate. Luckily I'm on a gravel bike with some lekker stoppers. Came to a stop next to him with my front wheel already on the sidewalk. Gave him the good ol "you almost killed me" look. Good to see other car occupants giving him a hard time after that. Plenty capetonian roadrage going around.

things I've learned (will probably add as I go);

1. leave shoes and laptop at work, a backpack gets heavy
  2. I need to find a shorter route  shortcuts don't work, for some reason construction site foreman don't like you going through. something about H&S  :whistling:  :ph34r: 
  3. suck it up princess the wind will always blow
  4. I need a bigger granny gear
  5. I need a bell
  6. A lighter backpack is the bomb
  7. the afternoon slump is real and the hunger is BIG
  8. if you see an SUV driven by a aunty, stay away, the cellphone is more important than the "idiot cyclist" 
  9. keep one water bottle on the bike, you will forget the one on your desk
  10. EDIT: afternoon drivers are a lot more aggro and a lot less attentive

added/updated 

Edited by fanievb

Hey, that's good weight training there Hairy! You will only feel the extra weight on the climbs. On the straights and downhills, it is perfectly fine.

Did the same this morning on my ride to Stellies before work, although my weight isn't anywhere near yours. I carry a 12" Ultrabook, lunchbox, accessories and I could feel the weight difference on the climbs no doubt.

But, it will make you stronger!

Edited by Andrew_Smith

Hey, that's good weight training there Hairy! You will only feel the extra weight on the climbs. On the straights and downhills, it is perfectly fine.

Did the same this morning on my ride to Stellies before work, although my weight isn't anywhere near yours. I carry a 12" Ultrabook, lunchbox, accessories and I could feel the weight difference on the climbs no doubt.

But, it will make you stronger!

Happy thoughts are that I have dropped 7kg's +- of body weight over the last few weeks, so picking that pack up and slinging it over my shoulder to walk up the stairs to the office is a lekker thought knowing it is close to what I do not carry around anymore.

Things I've learnt today. Never trail behind a mtb (on gravel) if you're on a gravel setup. You end up hammering into sharp rocks that you'd otherwise miss.

On a side note. Anyone have a bombproof 38x700 setup for gravel and south african pavement? Thinking marathon plus. Maybe go tubeless again but I found that tyres at gravel bike pressures (4bar) end up not sealing so well and need a patch anyways and the tyre gets brutal cuts due to the hardness of the interacting surfaces. (tyre and tar). Suggestions please before I checkout my crc trolley.

Had to lug a "Full Load" in my back pack this morning ... pack with cycling kit = 10kg's over body weight when jumping on the gym's scale with all the goodies.

Also have been dragging the laptop to and from work the last couple of commutes.  Some really good (read irretating) weight training there.

I have learn that a good bike light could actually intimidate car drivers.  Left work late last night so the second half of the commute was in full darkness.  On the rural roads where I have my lights on medium to max setting, cars 200 meters away start pulling off the road  :w00t: .  And I do push my light down that it should not bother them too much.

things I've learned (will probably add as I go);

1. leave shoes and laptop at work, a backpack gets heavy
  2. I need to find a shorter route  shortcuts don't work,
  3. suck it up princess the wind will always blow
  4. I need a bigger granny gear
  5. I need a bell bell fitted, pedestrians don't know what it is though
  6. A lighter backpack is the bomb
  7. the afternoon slump is real and the hunger is BIG
  8. if you see an SUV driven by a aunty, stay away, the cellphone is more important than the "idiot cyclist" 
  9. keep one water bottle on the bike, you will forget the one on your desk
  10. EDIT: afternoon drivers are a lot more aggro and a lot less attentive 
  11. wet shoes suck

did not ride yesterday.

it rained Tuesday afternoon before the ride home and the water on the road makes a nice spray straight onto my shoes and ass.

Wednesday morning my shoes was still wet and it rained on and off so I took the car. I forgot my office key at home and only realised this 500m from the office and had to drive all the way home to go get it. Making my fuel saving from Tuesdays bike commute redundant. (office key now forms part of house key bunch)

The rest yesterday did me good as I felt a lot more energised this morning, I hope this last as there is a beast east (headwind) predicted for this afternoon. 

Newbies or regulars?

some riders that have recently joined and then the regulars ... the newbie we picked up a little later would have been no. 20.....he is being added to the Whatsapp group and we expect to see him twice a week, will be able to count him next time.

our WA group for the commuter ride = 62 users :)

some riders that have recently joined and then the regulars ... the newbie we picked up a little later would have been no. 20.....he is being added to the Whatsapp group and we expect to see him twice a week, will be able to count him next time.

our WA group for the commuter ride = 62 users :)

Hairy where do you guys meat up and what time do you meet ,think I might join if the time is suitable?