Things I've learnt from commuting

zeabre

put pants over shoes and wear a scarf when commuting in the early mornings is a MUST! although yesterday one chap did arrive to the morning group in his PJ'S :eek: :lol: I thought it was brilliant and a little awkward
any photos?

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

For some reason (I have a mild case of Pluviophobia) every time I cycle in the rain it feels as though I can't breath on the motorbike and they bicycle. Had it once in the car where I had to pull off the road sit for a few seconds composing myself and then driving off, only to seek refuge in a church parking area.

It is fun to cycle in rain (to that I agree) but every time I get that feeling so I try to get over the fear by cycling in storms. And must say that I am glad that I do not fear lightning, but it still scares the poo out of me.

I'm a woos. Spent yesterday cleaning and re-building my bike, so this morning I chicken out of going out on these cold wet roads. So I'm driving to work. Coz I don't want to dirty my sparkly bike, or coz it's frikking cold and dark or I failed rules no. 5 and 9? All of the above I reckon. I'm a woos.

For some reason (I have a mild case of Pluviophobia) every time I cycle in the rain it feels as though I can't breath on the motorbike and they bicycle. Had it once in the car where I had to pull off the road sit for a few seconds composing myself and then driving off, only to seek refuge in a church parking area.

It is fun to cycle in rain (to that I agree) but every time I get that feeling so I try to get over the fear by cycling in storms. And must say that I am glad that I do not fear lightning, but it still scares the poo out of me.

I've ridden in some downpours where difficulty in breathing was real. I remember once even vision was blurred it was coming down so hard, like I was underwater. Kinda surreal to experience. Yeah eventually I pulled over and waited for it to subside ;)

That today my commute started at -2 deg, averaged out at 0 deg and maxed out at 10 deg. It obviously wasn't 10 deg for that long.

I need proper gloves. Going to try glove inners, latex gloves, more glove inners, normal long finger gloves.

Anyone try neoprene gloves?

That today my commute started at -2 deg, averaged out at 0 deg and maxed out at 10 deg. It obviously wasn't 10 deg for that long.

I need proper gloves. Going to try glove inners, latex gloves, more glove inners, normal long finger gloves.

Thermo Moto cross gloves work well but you'd probably still need inners at that temp.

Well done btw, I'd be in my car with the heater on full

Only had 2 deg when stepping out the door this morning in CT, -2 must have been interesting!

An extra pair of underwear in the locker will be handy one day. Believe me you will forget it one day at home.

Try explaining that to your missus / wife / gf...

In desperation, I ditched the cycling gloves and wore my 5-finger cape union mart thinsulate gloves on my ride the other morning. They worked like a bomb even tho they are 'el cheapos. Dunno if they will last long but at least they work!

put pants over shoes and wear a scarf when commuting in the early mornings is a MUST! although yesterday one chap did arrive to the morning group in his PJ'S :eek: :lol: I thought it was brilliant and a little awkward

Back in my morning ride days the best we had was the lad that put his shorts on inside out ..... in his defence they had a little baby and he would rather get up and dress in the pitch dark than wake her :huh:

After having my @ss handed to me at Hakahana this weekend by my brother-in-law (acceptable) and father-in-law (completely unacceptable) I've decided I need to up my game. I don't really have time to fit in midweek rides so from this afternoon I'll be one of those commuting type of cyclists. I need my car at work so I drove to the office this morning (with clothes etc for tomorrow), cycle home this afternoon and cycle back to the office tomorrow morning and drive back tomorrow evening.

That way, effectively I'll be commuting 2 days a week but riding 4 days a week plus the long ride on Saturday.

I live about 7km from work but managed to put together a 20km route with some serious hills. Hopefully things will go better at Curro.

After having my @ss handed to me at Hakahana this weekend by my brother-in-law (acceptable) and father-in-law (completely unacceptable) I've decided I need to up my game. I don't really have time to fit in midweek rides so from this afternoon I'll be one of those commuting type of cyclists. I need my car at work so I drove to the office this morning (with clothes etc for tomorrow), cycle home this afternoon and cycle back to the office tomorrow morning and drive back tomorrow evening.

That way, effectively I'll be commuting 2 days a week but riding 4 days a week plus the long ride on Saturday.

I live about 7km from work but managed to put together a 20km route with some serious hills. Hopefully things will go better at Curro.

Pretty much what I do. Commuting both ways for me takes too long / too wearing.

It does however mean that your car is already at work for the days it is -2... ;)

It does however mean that your car is already at work for the days it is -2... ;)

No excuses!!

My car used to be at work 4 days a week.

Some days it was very tempting to call in sick. But once we got going it was never as bad as we had anticipated.