Things I've learnt from commuting

zeabre

Lesson I've re-learnt today...make sure rain jacket and such things are in your bag on days like today...it's going to be a wet and miserable ride home later...

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Lesson I've re-learnt today...make sure rain jacket and such things are in your bag on days like today...it's going to be a wet and miserable ride home later...

I will have to pack an extra pair of eyes and helmet.  Have not had too many windy conditions here in Germany but the northern part was hit by some hurricane winds.  Although I had a lovely ride into work this morning, the wind woke up and is pumping outside.  Not a problem as such but cycling through forested areas back home there might be the odd branch or tree comming down.

Big ups to you for riding in this weather. If the weather looks miserable to me in the morning, I'm driving.

I check the weather forecast regularly... so I packed mine this morning... but if it's a T-storm foretasted on a hot day I don't bother as I sweat too much then :)

I grew up in Belgium so anything above 12 degrees is warm :)

Edited by Flemish Lion

I check the weather forecast regularly... so I packed mine this morning... but if it's a T-storm foretasted on a hot day I don't bother as I sweat too much then :)

I grew up in Belgium so anything above 12 degrees is warm :)

I normally check regularly as well, but managed to get screw up yesterday :P

Ride wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. Was back on the commute this morning.

II'd much rather ride in the cold than heat, even with growing up here, but if I can avoid the rain I will. ;)

Took my bike in for a much needed service yesterday. It made it nice and ready for the Argus. New cable set, everything nice, smooth and lekker. 

Good that I did. Today, on my daily commute from Glencairn to Muizenberg the inevitable happened in Fish Hoek. A truck yields for a car coming from left, because he needs the space to turn into that avenue. Lady doesn't see me and I pull my breaks full force. Bike does the classic front wheelie, and I land with my hand on the bonnet. That was close. 

Couldn't be arsed, kept smiling and set off to Caledonion Cycles in Muizenberg to thank them for tightening the brakes as well. 

lucky Sierrrd

i don't know if it is just me, but at times when my backpack straps are too tight, i end up getting my helmet adjuster thing caught in the backpack top handle/strap.......it always happens at very inconvenient times (going down a pavement in this mornings case)

lucky Sierrrd

i don't know if it is just me, but at times when my backpack straps are too tight, i end up getting my helmet adjuster thing caught in the backpack top handle/strap.......it always happens at very inconvenient times (going down a pavement in this mornings case)

Never had that problem.

Sidewalks are #$%&@ dangerous!

Was riding home yesterday, on a downhill section I saw two ladies walking up ahead taking up the entire sidewalk. So was eyeing up where I will pass them, doing about 45km/h(saw afterwards on Strava)...

Next moment I'm sliding along the sidewalk on my elbow and knee...

They had recently cut the grass along the sides of the sidewalk and the cuttings covered up sections of the sidewalk... one specific section where the concrete lifted up was what caused my fall. I know the section well but the combo of the pedestrians and the grass cuttings was enough distraction that I didn't see it coming.

Luckily it was minor damage. Skin abrasions on the knee and both elbows. Hands and wrist are in perfect shape, wasn't even wearing gloves... 

Really lucky considering Argus is only 9 days away.

Sidewalks are #$%&@ dangerous!

...................doing about 45km/h(saw afterwards on Strava)......................

The lesson is that those 3 things combine to be dangerous: sidewalk + speed + Strava = crash!  ;) (Glad you are OK)

Edited by DJR

For those who will be commuting in winter and battle to get gloves that really work for those sub 0 temperatures,  I cycled in -2 degrees this morning and put latex gloves over my inners of my gloves and then put the gloves on.  Worked like a charm.

For those who will be commuting in winter and battle to get gloves that really work for those sub 0 temperatures,  I cycled in -2 degrees this morning and put latex gloves over my inners of my gloves and then put the gloves on.  Worked like a charm.

True that

did that last winter, works well .... and when it rained, I put the latex gloves over my regular gloves 

edit: it also helps to keep a pair in your bag for when you need to fix a puncture and are dealing with a dirty bike / chain.

Edited by Hairy

did that last winter, works well .... and when it rained, I put the latex gloves over my regular gloves 

edit: it also helps to keep a pair in your bag for when you need to fix a puncture and are dealing with a dirty bike / chain.

Well I have a box full that I use when working on the bikes.  Not a bad idea to just slip a pear into the tool "box" for the road.