Things I've learnt from commuting

zeabre

The most dangerous time on a commute? Those five or so seconds as you approach an intersection and the car on the opposite side is waiting to turn right. There's always that split second where they think they'll be able to make it before you cross the intersection.....

I have found using a headlight/front light has reduced the chances of them trying to jump in front of you....makes you more visible and they think twice about your speed...

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have found using a headlight/front light has reduced the chances of them trying to jump in front of you....makes you more visible and they think twice about your speed...

Especially if you use a HIGH lumens light, they don't know if it is a train ???? , motorcycle [emoji605] or taxi [emoji604] with one light ????

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

Edited by BSG

Imploder, on 29 May 2017 - 1:47 PM, said:snapback.png

The most dangerous time on a commute? Those five or so seconds as you approach an intersection and the car on the opposite side is waiting to turn right. There's always that split second where they think they'll be able to make it before you cross the intersection.....

Especially if you use a HIGH lumens light, they don't know if it is a train , motorcycle [emoji605] or taxi [emoji604] with one light

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

People are ignorant in general about two-wheeled commuters. I have a big-assed motorbike, making enough light to host a day-night cricket match, and making enough noise to make a hot-rod sound like a Rolls, but they still do this.

But the light in front does make these kind of occurrences less. You are noticed. When driving, and I see a proper light on a bike, I kinda think this oke is probably pedaling harder than a township commuter.

And I immediately wonder what bike he has, and then ogling, en then envying 'cause I didn't cycle this morning, and his bike is better than mine, and.... :blush:

There are a few roads that are worse regarding this, like Botha avenue, where I finally have the wide shoulder after the city mess, and get a head of steam going.

Edited by Belgarath

Imploder, on 29 May 2017 - 1:47 PM, said:snapback.png

People are ignorant in general about two-wheeled commuters. I have a big-assed motorbike, making enough light to host a day-night cricket match, and making enough noise to make a hot-rod sound like a Rolls, but they still do this.

But the light in front does make these kind of occurrences less. You are noticed. When driving, and I see a proper light on a bike, I kinda think this oke is probably pedaling harder than a township commuter.

And I immediately wonder what bike he has, and then ogling, en then envying 'cause I didn't cycle this morning, and his bike is better than mine, and.... :blush:

There are a few roads that are worse regarding this, like Botha avenue, where I finally have the wide shoulder after the city mess, and get a head of steam going.

There is never any bike better than the one you are busy cycling at that moment in time.

"  And I immediately wonder what bike he has, and then ogling, en then envying 'cause I didn't cycle this morning, and his bike is better than mine, and.... :blush:  "

There is never any bike better than the one you are busy cycling at that moment in time.

I usually do this when I'm driving, not riding :P

Edited by Belgarath

This really and truly annoys me...

Man, that wheel sucker who slips in behind you without a word, without a hi, without an apology, not a good morning, not a word, nada, just sits there thinking he has got the right to that spot with his bright light sitting on you, makes me feel like a animal being hunted in the dark... 

What the hell dude, this is not cool...  All you need to say is good morning, I am slightly f#cked, do you mind pulling me for a while?  Do not sit there like a wheel-sucking parasite dude!

Man, that wheel sucker who slips in behind you without a word, without a hi, without an apology, not a good morning, not a word, nada, just sits there thinking he has got the right to that spot with his bright light sitting on you, makes me feel like a animal being hunted in the dark... 

What the hell dude, this is not cool...  All you need to say is good morning, I am slightly f#cked, do you mind pulling me for a while?  Do not sit there like a wheel-sucking parasite dude!

There is a thread about this somewhere on the hub.

What the hell dude, this is not cool... All you need to say is good morning, I am slightly f#cked, do you mind pulling me for a while? Do not sit there like a wheel-sucking parasite dude!

This is where a fart on command works well.

Or just slow down, and slow down some more till they pass you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

lights ....

you get lights, then you get lights ... and then you learn some lessons ....

Had a nice 400 Lumen light .....would fade away gradually when it needed a recharge.

"dinges" het gejeuk .... so I bought a 600 Lumen light.  WOW !!  So nice to have that extra light on a winter morning !!!

And then time came for a recharge .... NO, absolutely no warning !!  BRIGHT, then NOTHING .... darn thing just shuts down when the charge gets low !!!!!

FORTUNATELY I was seconds from my work when it happened.  Would have been in a spot of bother if it conked out 10 minutes earlier ....

And then there was three.

It's much easier to commute if you are not doing it alone.  In the afternoons our times is scterd but it makes the mornings better :thumbup:

Seems I might also be joining a group later this week.  Could be that I will be bleeding through my eyes as well but it could be fun.

Seems I might also be joining a group later this week.  Could be that I will be bleeding through my eyes as well but it could be fun.

flip yes I see on Strava I got 2 pr`s this morning.

lights ....

you get lights, then you get lights ... and then you learn some lessons ....

Had a nice 400 Lumen light .....would fade away gradually when it needed a recharge.

"dinges" het gejeuk .... so I bought a 600 Lumen light.  WOW !!  So nice to have that extra light on a winter morning !!!

And then time came for a recharge .... NO, absolutely no warning !!  BRIGHT, then NOTHING .... darn thing just shuts down when the charge gets low !!!!!

FORTUNATELY I was seconds from my work when it happened.  Would have been in a spot of bother if it conked out 10 minutes earlier ....

Also have a light like this ..... one moment the light is bright and the indicator is green, then it goes to red and less than 5min later you are left in the dark. I pack in spare lights now for the "unknown" factor in the commute.

Also have a light like this ..... one moment the light is bright and the indicator is green, then it goes to red and less than 5min later you are left in the dark. I pack in spare lights now for the "unknown" factor in the commute.

This one did not even dim or blink - just DEAD.  

I will get a cheapy flashing light as a backup.

Actually considering a decent 2nd light - have one steady flashing front light, and the 600Lumen to light up the road.  I have seen a few bikes around here doing the dual light thing.  VERY visible !!!

This one did not even dim or blink - just DEAD.  

I will get a cheapy flashing light as a backup.

Actually considering a decent 2nd light - have one steady flashing front light, and the 600Lumen to light up the road.  I have seen a few bikes around here doing the dual light thing.  VERY visible !!!

Quite a few here as well doing the two light thing.