Things I've learnt from commuting

zeabre

That no matter how safe your route is... Lose focus for a second and be taken out!

Got inches from a taxi taking me out going straight (on a bicycle lane!) when he wanted to take the left slip lane.

Was pretty gratifying hitting his taxi and then riding up to his window when he was stuck in traffic and asking what does he think he was doing (politely of course :) )

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have found that if you can make barking sounds like a dog that it works more effective.

I recommend taking EPOL to enhance your barking effectiveness! wink.png

Wind was a bit fresh today. Have realised on the SS that regardless, your time does not vary too much. You have only one gear and can only pedal so slow.

PS, who rides through the harbour?

Even if you are in a cycle lane clearly painted on the road a MOFO in a car will still cut you off (literally missing my front wheel by a about a fingers width) and then when confronted he makes the statement of "well did I knock you" ..... I got very close to knocking him last night!

Everytime I have to take the car and get stuck in traffic it strengthens my resolve to commute more!

Oh, for those chaps without proper shower facilities at work, the best thing I found was to buy one of those chamois towels swimmers use and leave this at the office along with two face cloths. Makes the basin bath option 500 times easier! One cloth to lather with, one to remove all the soapy areas without dripping all over the floor and then the chamois towel to actually dry ourself with. The best part about doing it this way is you don't have to take a fresh towel in every other day! Simply hang these up somewhere that has a little ventilation and is obscure and you're good to go for the following morning!

Also hold onto those sample size shampoo bottles! They're perfect for slipping into the back pocket and doing a refill at home to take back for the start of every fortnight which is typically how long they last.

One other thing I have learned from commuting is that no matter how many times they "SAY" Jo'burg is a "world class African city", it will never be more than a world class sewer.

The roads haven't been resurfaced once in the time the ruling party have been in power.

And that is an awesome privilege to be able to commute despite the road conditions, overflowing sewers, and lack of bike lanes.

Shopping centers (like Clearwater Mall and several others) are not bike friendly. FNB is not bike friendly. (i.e. they have no secure place to park your baby, and security have a coronary if you try and take your bike with.)

Some people are idiots, had a guy on friday, come in to the yellow lane to see how close he could get to me.

Strava is super fun on a commute.

Had my first commute this morning...

It was absolutely fantastic!clap.gif

Here's what I learnt:

1. Helmets are important. It stops your kosblik (lunchbox) that you packed in the top of your backpack from moering you on the head every time you bunny-hop a pavement.

2. Foot-paths make great single track. On a +- 20 km ride, my wheels touched about 1km of the black stuff.

3. A bell can save you from pedestrians.

4. The black stuff is bloody hard (more of a reminder than a new discovery). After 12 years of cycling, I still managed to moer off my bike while stationary: stopped for a pedestrian when crossing a street, foot didn't want to uncleat... you know the rest.

5. Even though you remember to pack everything, does not mean that you have everything. I packed shower gel, but it was (almost) completely empty.

6. Joburg isn't flat. If you think that, then cycle in Joburg. If you still think that after cycling in Joburg, Cycle over Allen's Neck.

7. I need to get some cyclo-cross tyres on my single steed commuter as soon as possible!!

Can't wait for the ride back!

Had my first commute this morning...

It was absolutely fantastic!clap.gif

Here's what I learnt:

1. Helmets are important. It stops your kosblik (lunchbox) that you packed in the top of your backpack from moering you on the head every time you bunny-hop a pavement.

2. Foot-paths make great single track. On a +- 20 km ride, my wheels touched about 1km of the black stuff.

3. A bell can save you from pedestrians.

4. The black stuff is bloody hard (more of a reminder than a new discovery). After 12 years of cycling, I still managed to moer off my bike while stationary: stopped for a pedestrian when crossing a street, foot didn't want to uncleat... you know the rest.

5. Even though you remember to pack everything, does not mean that you have everything. I packed shower gel, but it was (almost) completely empty.

6. Joburg isn't flat. If you think that, then cycle in Joburg. If you still think that after cycling in Joburg, Cycle over Allen's Neck.

7. I need to get some cyclo-cross tyres on my single steed commuter as soon as possible!!

Can't wait for the ride back!

Glad you had some fun. Cycling to work is absolutely the best! You can actually look forward to the trip to work

Noticed when cycling past backed up traffic in a roadworks stop/go where the wait is approx 15 minutes, that most cars are idling!

Why not turn off the engine when you have to wait this long?

Saves fuel, carbon emissions etc etc.

If you really need the aircon at 7am, open your window.

Even if you are in a cycle lane clearly painted on the road a MOFO in a car will still cut you off (literally missing my front wheel by a about a fingers width) and then when confronted he makes the statement of "well did I knock you" ..... I got very close to knocking him last night!

Pepper Spray...... hold it the same distance from his eyes as he missed you by.... don't hit him, that hurts your fingers, and then you will suffer more on a ride.

Yeah ... no. Indiscriminately pepper spraying people in cars is just going to cause *** for other cyclists, and possibly yourself, down the line. Today's raised middle finger VERY easily becomes tomorrow's run over middle finger.

Pepper Spray...... hold it the same distance from his eyes as he missed you by.... don't hit him, that hurts your fingers, and then you will suffer more on a ride.

After a few days cooling off RE this, what I found most shocking is that he does not care that he nearly took my out, but recons it is ok because he missed me.

He cut straight across a yellow demarcated cycling lane and came from behind me at speed ....

That mentality is more scary than the close call .....

Sometimes the singlespeed has to stay at home...had to bring out the old roadbike with 28s on to klap this wind. Was quiet on the road today.

One thing I've learned from commuting is that two weeks before the 94.7 you have to force your way through herds of cyclists to get to work, one week after everything is back to quiet normality...

And that commuting in Summer is just LEKKER!!