Things I've learnt from commuting

zeabre

2 hours ago, cat-i said:

After 25 years of commuting, rode my last commute last week.

Looking forward t some micro-adventures which may include cycling, but work will now be from home.

From commuting daily no matter the weather, to working from home thanks to Covid ......... my cycling has gone down hill faster than Mr Minnnn.

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

13 hours ago, Hairy said:

From commuting daily no matter the weather, to working from home thanks to Covid ......... my cycling has gone down hill faster than Mr Minnnn.

Nothing beats commuting for endurance! It's that afternoon ride in the bad weather to get home that I wouldn't have done otherwise.

When I was at Unisa there was a cyclist colleague who regularly told me he does not commute because he prefers quality training. It was only after I've beaten him multiple times (because the first few were luck) that he later also started commuting.

Tip one for the day. Buy those bar end tubeless plug inserters. Generic (non samurai) ones work well, just trim a few of the rubber gaskets if too stuck in. If you are quick enough you may get away without having to top up pressure. Saves me from having to take off my backpack and having to reinflate the tyre. 

Second tip. Get a mirror. I got the nerdy "take a look" mirror that clips onto your glasses a while back. Increases the the actual and perceived level of safety. Also looks unbelievably stupid and therefore keeps the yoga-pants-active-wear moms at bay. Makes sense that my wife got me the mirror. 

• 2 weeks later...

How comfortable are you guys riding with Laptops in the backpack?

My spidey sense tell me this is a dumb idea with all the nasties out there?

4 hours ago, Vetplant said:

I used to leave mine at work mon to thurs. I would go in with a car on a fri and sat and then I would bring the laptop home. Didnt like the idea of riding with it, just in case.

8 hours ago, Vetplant said:

No issue at all. I used to cycle from Woodmead to Centurion (about 30km on way) with a laptop before Covid.

My son used to ride to varsity with his couple-of-thousand-rand laptop and never worried. Now he has a really expensive one that is essential for his studies and work, and he feels it is too great a risk, even though it is insured.

• 3 months later...
9 minutes ago, Albatross said:

No matter how effective you think your winter gloves are, in winter wear a pair of nitrile gloves under them. Happy chilly morning commutes.

and dripping hands after

• 2 months later...

when trucks hogg the road ..... the commute CAN be fun ....

Used the twee-spoor service road next to the road and actually beat the traffic over a 5km stint ....

FUN times ....

Screenshot_20220921-123046_Gallery.jpg.4d64a9bd29d566a7fe1f1e1d8085cd99.jpg

What i have learnt from commuting for the last 2 months in Ireland is actually how crazy commuting was in Cape Town. You never realise just how close the cars actually came, how aggressive and taxing commuting could be until you don't have cars push past you, cars wait for you up a hill until safe to pass, etc.

Really is an eye opener. And apparently Ireland is not even one of the best places to cycle yet I feel like i am in cycling heaven as every ride doesn't feel like it could be my last. 

• 1 month later...

Don't just grab a pair of jeans from your cupboard at home and assume they are yours. Had an unexpected surprise after this mornings commute to work when I realised that my teenage sons jeans had somehow found their way into my cupboard. Middle aged man waddling round the office in jeans so tight the zip won't even close. Its a day for letting your shirt hang out 😁

44 minutes ago, Albatross said:

Don't just grab a pair of jeans from your cupboard at home and assume they are yours. Had an unexpected surprise after this mornings commute to work when I realised that my teenage sons jeans had somehow found their way into my cupboard. Middle aged man waddling round the office in jeans so tight the zip won't even close. Its a day for letting your shirt hang out 😁

Ha, ha, Yup, did that one with a shirt that belonged to one of my youngsters once. Had to suck my gut in and push my chest out all day long. Was half out of breath most of the time and completely exhausted by the ordeal.

2 hours ago, Albatross said:

1 hour ago, DJR said:

Ha, ha, Yup, did that one with a shirt that belonged to one of my youngsters once. Had to suck my gut in and push my chest out all day long. Was half out of breath most of the time and completely exhausted by the ordeal.

Experience has taught me that in these types of situations you don your cycling kit and head off to the nearest store in order to buy what you need 🤣