Show us your pets

tunariaan

That is beautiful!

Do you feed them crickets? Where do you you get the crickets from, the internet?

Where do you source the tarantulas from, is it ethical? I hope thousands don' t die just to get one pet. How do you house them, all in seperately?

Sorry for all the questions, I have a fascination with tarantulas. I came really close to getting one except for Khulula who won' t allow reptiles or any exotic pets on the plane and a wife who threatened to move out.

Not often i use crickets, i breed my own roaches and meal worms. 2/3 more tarantulas survive if breed in captivity than in the wild.

In SA there's a ban on keeping Baboon spiders, although we do have some of the most beautiful. We also have the only tarantula specie of baboon spider that is a trapdoor spider (picture attach). Then theres the different horned baboon spiders as well also attached.

718015f647fc4095a1e4ac0868973bca.jpg

314-2.jpg?1391815313

There's now over 950 different species in the world and more discovered almost daily. Collectors overseas keep and breed Baboon spiders as the market was flooded by the local authorities there so they don't com here and demolish the local habitats to extinction, Development e.g. roads, housing, malls, etc is of great concern as you can imagine the state of the government authorities lack of expertise and approval of development with near zero impact studies.

You are not allowed to keep T's in the Western Cape and i think most recently a law was passed for KZN.

Very easy to care for if you keep the substrate moist, but not too moist and the correct temperatures (room temp is fine for the majority) Tarantulas just need a water bowl and only need to be fed a few roaches or worms ones every one or two months, i feed mine weekly, but then only one roach or worm and not a few.

I build my own enclosures out of 5 mm clear acrylic and in two different sizes. I make extra for people in the hobby that ask and sell to as i buy sheets and have it cut to size to save costs. Acrylic is allot more expensive though, but allot better compared to glass and i call my enclosure SpiderCribs.

Advantages of ACRYLIC Terrariums:

1. Many times stronger than glass.
2. More impact resistant and therefore safer.
3. Insulates better than glass.

Acrylic glass is also very clear, allowing 92% of visible light to pass through it. Very thick glass will have a green tint, while acrylic remains clear. It also weathers well, keeping its clarity over the years without turning yellow or breaking down when exposed to sunlight over a long period of time.

Another advantage of acrylic is that it is only half as heavy as glass. This makes this material easier to work with, and makes it a better choice for projects where weight is an issue. It can also be sawed, whereas glass must be scored.

There are some misconceptions about acrylic, namely that it yellows, turns brittle, and cracks over time. Though this might be true of cheap forms of plastic, it is not so with acrylic. If taken care of, this material can remain new looking for several decades, regardless of age or exposure to sun. Some people worry that it scratches too easily, but unlike glass, scratches may be buffed out.

For all of its advantages, there are two disadvantages of acrylic:
It is more expensive than glass, and if exposed to a direct flame, it will melt and eventually burn. Burning releases toxic fumes, so safety precautions should always be taken when it is being cut with power tools or bent using heat. When it is not cared for properly, or when inferior acrylic is used, it can scratch, and improperly made joints can be very visible.

post-4329-0-35652700-1426746893_thumb.jpg

Edited by nathrix ® ©™

• Replies 7.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Nathrix please post some more pics of your spiders

Yaw, there's too many. I'm still a "newby" in the hobby (5 years), but as addictive as cycling :D

Rather have a look on my Instagram https://instagram.com/spidercribs/ Some pics of the process of molting (:

This is what I want one day, my own proper Spider Room  :wub:

post-4329-0-46030400-1426748074_thumb.jpg

Not mine but one of the dogs flown up by Husky Rescue from a high risk shelter in the Eastern Cape. Posting because she is absolutely stunning and a lovely nature to match. She is the 6th we have flown up since December and was surrendered because "She keeps getting out"  :cursing: 

attachicon.gifmaya.jpg

It saddens me how people can do something like that.  Change the gate, change your routine, do whatever but don't give your dog up :thumbdown:

IanJ - do you perhaps know someone who can help with my lab.  She is one of 3 adoptees but giving me a lot of grief with digging and eating my plants.  I need to start changing her behavior or pave my garden.  The latter is not an option.

Yaw, there's too many. I'm still a "newby" in the hobby (5 years), but as addictive as cycling :D

Rather have a look on my Instagram https://instagram.com/spidercribs/ Some pics of the process of molting (:

This is what I want one day, my own proper Spider Room  :wub:

The Singapore Blue is stunning! I had no idea they made such impressive nests.

Do you need permits for them?

It saddens me how people can do something like that.  Change the gate, change your routine, do whatever but don't give your dog up :thumbdown:

IanJ - do you perhaps know someone who can help with my lab.  She is one of 3 adoptees but giving me a lot of grief with digging and eating my plants.  I need to start changing her behavior or pave my garden.  The latter is not an option.

Is she getting sufficient stimulation? It is normally boredom that makes dogs dig and be destructive. Does she have toys and play with the others or is she a bit of an outsider?

I can probably put you in touch with a behaviourist if you want a professional opinion, what area are you in?

The Singapore Blue is stunning! I had no idea they made such impressive nests.

Do you need permits for them?

No permit for Gauteng. You will need a permit to keep the local baboon spiders.

More info on tarantulas http://www.bbc.com/earth/story/20140908-inside-a-giant-spider

http://static.bbcverticals.com/earth/config/live/story/20140908-inside-a-giant-spider/img/976/1-tarantula-976.gif

http://static.bbcverticals.com/earth/config/live/story/20140908-inside-a-giant-spider/img/976/2-predatory-976.gif

http://static.bbcverticals.com/earth/config/live/story/20140908-inside-a-giant-spider/img/976/3-feeding-976.gif

http://static.bbcverticals.com/earth/config/live/story/20140908-inside-a-giant-spider/img/976/4-circulation-976.gif

http://static.bbcverticals.com/earth/config/live/story/20140908-inside-a-giant-spider/img/976/5-respiration-976.gif

http://static.bbcverticals.com/earth/config/live/story/20140908-inside-a-giant-spider/img/976/6-silk-976.gif

Edited by nathrix ® ©™

Just had to have one of my Dachsies put down owing to back injury.

The surgery didn't help and she went downhill. RIP Layla.

I've Lost my first two dogs that my my now wife gave me after the divorce I went through and the ex took the previous pair of Dachsies.

So they were pretty special. Louis and Layla.

Kept me sane inside insanity when there wasn't much else in my world that seemed stable or worth holding on to

I have three others and we will get another one - will have to be a pup this time.

Its amazing how we I mark events in my life and timelines on the passing of pets.

Always remember - they may be part of your life, but to them you are their total life.

I've Lost my first two dogs that my my now wife gave me after the divorce I went through and the ex took the previous pair of Dachsies.

Kept me sane inside insanity when there wasn't much else in my world that seemed stable or worth holding on to

I have three others and we will get another one - will have to be a pup this time.

Its amazing how we I mark events in my life and timelines on the passing of pets.

Always remember - they may be part of your life, but to them you are their total life.

Sorry to hear about Lyla. 

I so want a sausage dog but I am terrified of their risk for back injuries, I could not handle what you have been through.

So sorry.

I hate having to make that call.

Strongs.

RIP Layla. They are more than just pets. They are family. Good luck