Show us your pets

tunariaan

• Replies 7.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Unfortunately I don't have a pet to show ,but have the tooth marks to show after 2 dogs (one without a leash and one on a very flimsy leash and owner) decided to get physical on a crowded Blaauwberg beach and did not like me getting involved.Learned a valuable lesson in separating fighting dogs - grab dog by hind legs and lift - and move in a circle to avoid being bitten.This lesson cost 800 bucks.Not even a word of thanks from owners.

Don't blame the dogs ,blame the owners .Dogs need leaders not friends.

Unfortunately I don't have a pet to show ,but have the tooth marks to show after 2 dogs (one without a leash and one on a very flimsy leash and owner) decided to get physical on a crowded Blaauwberg beach and did not like me getting involved.Learned a valuable lesson in separating fighting dogs - grab dog by hind legs and lift - and move in a circle to avoid being bitten.This lesson cost 800 bucks.Not even a word of thanks from owners.

Very true, the pack leader can't be your friend...

I suppose this is related to the OP's topic. In any case, sucks big time to get involved with dogs if you're on the wrong side of the aggression. Not cool. What bugs me is the owners reaction when you sort the problem out...

Ja, and, while everyone enjoys letting their woofs off the leash, you gotta be careful when you do. It's awful having a dog bounding towards you and yours...then the owner catches up, breathlessly, to tell you that "Charlie is harmless..." Well, how were you to know that while the dog was in full flight?

Sorry to hear and that you got bitten.

Personally I will not intervene other than with a very sturdy and long enough stick or by spraying them with water. The damage a dog bite can do to your hands and arms is absolutely frightening and often will cause damage that cannot ever be fully repaired. Broken hand bones and torn ligaments will cost many tens of thousands in orthopaedic surgery.  

I'd like to know more about your way of doing it. The getting hold of the hind legs and pulling them apart, I get. But cannot figure out how you are supposed to move in a circle.

I do not know how many here can remember the story I posted about Franky being lost in Bushmans for 2.5 weeks (7 months ago) and then just pitching up in the middle of town one day again.....well he is all loved and healthy again :)

I love this dog so much, he is HUGE but so kind and caring. It is amazing how he is around us and how he plays with the 2 other little sausage dogs (he somehow never hurts them).

post-24697-0-88319000-1460611671_thumb.jpg

post-24697-0-21620600-1460611743_thumb.jpeg

post-24697-0-00173200-1460611778_thumb.jpeg

Edit: https://community.bikehub.co.za/topic/108258-show-us-your-pets/?p=2713760 

Edited by hayleyearth

I do not know how many here can remember the story I posted about Franky being lost in Bushmans for 2.5 weeks (7 months ago) and then just pitching up in the middle of town one day again.....well he is all loved and healthy again :)

I love this dog so much, he is HUGE but so kind and caring. It is amazing how he is around us and how he plays with the 2 other little sausage dogs (he somehow never hurts them).

attachicon.giff1.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG-20160323-WA0041.jpeg

attachicon.gifIMG-20160323-WA0043.jpeg

Edit: https://community.bikehub.co.za/topic/108258-show-us-your-pets/?p=2713760 

Had a look at the first pic , and thought , wtf is that monster tag on his ear. Had to focus to realise that it was the wheel of the car behind.

Sorry to hear and that you got bitten.

Personally I will not intervene other than with a very sturdy and long enough stick or by spraying them with water. The damage a dog bite can do to your hands and arms is absolutely frightening and often will cause damage that cannot ever be fully repaired. Broken hand bones and torn ligaments will cost many tens of thousands in orthopaedic surgery.  

I'd like to know more about your way of doing it. The getting hold of the hind legs and pulling them apart, I get. But cannot figure out how you are supposed to move in a circle.

By moving in a circle you force to dog to move his front feet or he is going to fall over and in theory the dog will then let go.

down at Kenton over Easter and Jack the Scottie had an absolute blast. His first visit to the seaside. Every evening he was absolutely knackered after chasing the waves back and forward and just having a jol. He also fitted it in a 6km walk to the Dias cross..which is quite impressive for someone with such short legs

12912796_210227076014972_814222566_n.jpg

with my eldest

12912654_991184644296765_551074948_n.jpg