Show us your pets

tunariaan

Seems to be a lot of buying of animals mentioned on this thread. 

Adopt, don't shop, folks. SPCAs are absolutely overrun by dogs and cats needing a home, who'll just end up being euthanised if they aren't homed. 

There are a hell of a lot of backyard breeders, bringing sickly pups and kittens into this world. KUSA membership often times have little bearing on the welfare of the breeding pairs kept by breeders. 

Also, sterilize or neuter your dogs or cats.

• Replies 7.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Adopt, don't shop, folks. SPCAs are absolutely overrun by dogs and cats needing a home, who'll just end up being euthanised if they aren't homed.

There are a hell of a lot of backyard breeders, bringing sickly pups and kittens into this world. KUSA membership often times have little bearing on the welfare of the breeding pairs kept by breeders.

We have 3 rescues, a husky-Swiss cross and 2 Belgian-Swiss crosses. I have some hairy stories about their lives before they came to us, one directly from the SPCA where heaven knows they were threatening to put her down.

I’m all for that but there’s a place for pure bred dogs as well. Not keen to argue it right here or now but I’m a bit tired of having that thrown at me or others who I know do a helluva lot for the dog world.

Where would you get your Malinois who do such a good anti-poaching job come from if not from breeders?

I do see your point, to a point, but let’s not derail this thread.

Mine was 4 and a bit months old at the time and weighed around 20kg. Spent a week at the vet and came out around 16kg - just skin amd bones, but pulled through.

We were actually supossed to get a new pup today but have decided to have it stay at people's house we are buying from until 2 weeks after the 3rd innoculation (so 3.5 months old). It's not lekker waiting, but I want to do everything in my power to prevent this one from also getting parvo - it was horrible with the first one, and with this one being so you still (currently 2 months), and not fully protected we don't want to take chances.

Unfortunatelt the younger and smaller they are the worse their chances are of pulling through - but I'll be holding thumbs for you, hopefully the little guy makes it! Good news is they are then protected for life.

Just an aside, the dog will still be pooing out infected feaces for 10 days or so after they come home, and Parvo is a hardy virus - so your garden will be a no go for new pups for 6 months after this. We bleached everything after the parvo incident (incl garden), which is not always possible but was in our case because our back garden was stuffed because of the drought/small puppy anyway.

And also keep the new pup away from public spaces for a while to prevent spreading parvo to other dogs...

Thanks!

Good decision to wait. Ironically we had thought of doing just that because we were worried about parvo in our own area. But it travels so easily and is incredibly infectious so at 6-10 weeks puppies are terribly vulnerable.

And, we’ll still have to be careful of other illnesses like distemper, should we get that far...

I support adopting completely, so don't take my post as anti-adopting.

But... when I am getting a dog I want to raise it from 8/10 weeks old, I want a very specific type of dog, and those dogs (boxers and labs in my case) have a tendency to have health issues - so I want to have family history when I get one. Besides, I have not seen any boxers or labs (puppies) up for adoption in any case (and I did look). So I'm gonna be buying my dogs for the forseeable future.

And yes... agreed, neuter them - there are way too many dogs/cats running around and making a ton more.

I agree with you, but only up to a point. There is a time and a place for rescues, and for Purebred animals.

Beside from our latest, our last 5pups have been adopted. One died at a year old, she was sickly from the start, and our black Russian Terrier died just more than a month after we adopted him. He also arrived sick.

After that we decided to get our Bouvier from a family/bloodline we know (the Sire is my cousin's dog.)

And he has all the traits of a Bouvier that we expected. So I'm as happy as a pig in Palestine with him.

I'm still a fan of a rescue, bit there is a place for breeders, I reckon when buying a dog we should rather pick the breeders carefully. Find out where the animals are housed, how they are treated and how often they are bred. Look further than the thin veneer on social media and make sure it isn't a puppy mill.

I've walked away from a dog at a breeder that I didn't like. Felt like a dolled up puppy mill to me.

The thing is, working dogs are bred selectively, and if you want certain attributes for a pet, it is better to pick a breed the you know what to expect of it. And this isn't always available with Rescues.

This is Baloo, my Bouvier, at 6months he is already our daughter's bodyguard. He sleeps in her doorway, and if I play too rough with her for his liking, he physically stops me by getting in between us, or grabbing my hand and holding it with his mouth.

f66a2780a39d6188df7760f1a4a657db.jpg

d071ac69ef1830077570603fe2add8e0.jpg

Watching over Sleeping Beauty.

I agree with you, but only up to a point. There is a time and a place for rescues, and for Purebred animals.

Beside from our latest, our last 5pups have been adopted. One died at a year old, she was sickly from the start, and our black Russian Terrier died just more than a month after we adopted him. He also arrived sick.

After that we decided to get our Bouvier from a family/bloodline we know (the Sire is my cousin's dog.)

And he has all the traits of a Bouvier that we expected. So I'm as happy as a pig in Palestine with him.

I'm still a fan of a rescue, bit there is a place for breeders, I reckon when buying a dog we should rather pick the breeders carefully. Find out where the animals are housed, how they are treated and how often they are bred. Look further than the thin veneer on social media and make sure it isn't a puppy mill.

I've walked away from a dog at a breeder that I didn't like. Felt like a dolled up puppy mill to me.

The thing is, working dogs are bred selectively, and if you want certain attributes for a pet, it is better to pick a breed the you know what to expect of it. And this isn't always available with Rescues.

This is Baloo, my Bouvier, at 6months he is already our daughter's bodyguard. He sleeps in her doorway, and if I play too rough with her for his liking, he physically stops me by getting in between us, or grabbing my hand and holding it with his mouth.

f66a2780a39d6188df7760f1a4a657db.jpg

d071ac69ef1830077570603fe2add8e0.jpg

Watching over Sleeping Beauty.

We had a golden retriever that was like that with the kids..he also use to try stopping them from going to school in the morning..I miss Logan[emoji26]

Under here we have Lucy.. now whenever it is chilly Lucy likes to cuddle, she likes being on and under a blanket..that way no-one can see her suckling herself..Lucy is the oldest of the 4 cats..she is also the smallest and the only one who seems to be a cat.2e55a7fa01c10f033fcf985a467d9637.jpgebb59decfd8555a2797622d29c6aecd6.jpg

96021967c000a41d6dfa19b93d34ebca.jpg

A vid of this

https://twitter.com/GenOrnsby/status/1067135126864371713?s=19

Edited by Gen

Fingers crossed, beginning to make plans to get him home...

His sister died Friday night and he was nearly euthanased on Saturday morning... that is three of four sick puppies in three days.

BUT he started getting a bit stronger. Not eating on his own yet, but he is eating! All on his own, cannot be in contact with the remaining siblings. So we will see how to bring him home with as little stress as possible.

I can say this here, because... the bicycle saved my sanity this weekend.

post-7319-0-85969400-1543310312_thumb.jpeg

Fingers crossed, beginning to make plans to get him home...

His sister died Friday night and he was nearly euthanased on Saturday morning... that is three of four sick puppies in three days.

BUT he started getting a bit stronger. Not eating on his own yet, but he is eating! All on his own, cannot be in contact with the remaining siblings. So we will see how to bring him home with as little stress as possible.

I can say this here, because... the bicycle saved my sanity this weekend.

attachicon.gif6BDDB4C7-0D8C-4315-86E6-A32B51A09C1F.jpeg

Shame man...hope he oulls through and makes a full recovery.[emoji1696] Edited by Gen