MTB Tyre Choices

patches

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

What combo’s are you guys running for gravel specific rides on MTB ?
I do most of my riding on my hardtail( gravel & tar)and currently running Bontrager XR3 front and XR2 rear .

Found the combo to work well but looking to replace soon and would be interesting to see what options have given good mileage and obviously lowest rolling resistance?

Thanks  

On 8/1/2022 at 9:03 PM, Hairy said:

Hey .... how about Chaoyang Tyres ... good enough for an Olympic medal and for a XCO race win ................... image.png.e4801fa15a54b4838ab8a1a80b70bedb.png

I run Chaoyang tyres, front and rear, on my eMTB. Front developed a serious wobble last weekend, a near-unridable wobble, tyre 6 months old with 400km on it, CWC offered to PART-warranty it, since they have had a fair number of returns apparently, it FEELS like you have buckled your wheel, badly, but in fact the tyre casing is ‘buckled’. Replaced with a Maxxis, still have a Chaoyang on the back, will keep my eye on it…

1 hour ago, Just Jacques said:

What combo’s are you guys running for gravel specific rides on MTB ?
I do most of my riding on my hardtail( gravel & tar)and currently running Bontrager XR3 front and XR2 rear .

Found the combo to work well but looking to replace soon and would be interesting to see what options have given good mileage and obviously lowest rolling resistance?

Thanks  

Not much out there that is faster for similar grip. If you're willing to sacrifice grip, the Conti Race King and Cross King combo is very fast. 

3 hours ago, Zebra said:

I run Chaoyang tyres, front and rear, on my eMTB. Front developed a serious wobble last weekend, a near-unridable wobble, tyre 6 months old with 400km on it, CWC offered to PART-warranty it, since they have had a fair number of returns apparently, it FEELS like you have buckled your wheel, badly, but in fact the tyre casing is ‘buckled’. Replaced with a Maxxis, still have a Chaoyang on the back, will keep my eye on it…

Hang on a crooked minute here ... CWC KNOW they have an issue with the tyre, and are only offering a PART warranty ... screw that!

I have had an issue with a Maxiss before, and the agents were rockstars in how they sorted it out.

You suck CHAOYANG and CWC.

I want to try Continental Speed King 29" x 2.2 on my "rigid road" MTB.  I did find one but need another.

Unfortunately cant find stock anywhere, if anyone can point me in the right direction, it will be greatly appreciated.

On 8/1/2022 at 4:10 PM, Steady Spin said:

No reason for the rear to be smaller than the front unless your frame has limited space. 

I'm with you on that. I prefer same size tyres front & rear. I dont buy the narrower rear idea - if you look at the science the rear will always try get to the inside whereas cars with 4 wheel steering the rears turn opposite to the front. I've got an Ardent Race on the rear - not great grip and it's like a slick in any sort of mud even light mud.

On 12/16/2022 at 12:02 PM, Zebra said:

Give Omnico a call about the tyre. I think they will be more accommodating

On 12/16/2022 at 12:06 PM, Nico van Loggerenberg said:

The Aspen is a very low profile tyre, it is not in the same category as the forekaster, at all

MY BAD, finger trouble / brain-freeze, I meant a Maxxis ARDENT

On 12/16/2022 at 12:02 PM, Zebra said:

We have a friend in the riding group who did this to a maxxis front tyre the one day too. It “buckled” so bad it made him go OTB a few meters further and we thought he bent his wheel in the crash.
It’s known as the infamous maxxis ‘death wobble’ and apparently happens when your pressures are on the lower side and you are able to put so much force through the tyre to make it stretch/fold over, or as in his case…went through some gnarly stuff fast enough for the tyre to stretch over a rock. It literally stretches the casing in that spot and it will never go back to the way it was. Im assuming it happens easier on the ‘lighter’ casing tyres too since they are thinner.

Edited by MORNE

Now to ad some tyre experiences.

dont be tempted to buy MAXXIS Dissector (yet) for the rear. It’s a good tyre/thread pattern and i really like it, it rolls nice and fast and offers great corner traction to the point where you can hear it gripping even if you arent a shreddy McShredface.  
But it’s also well documented on the interwebs that this first iteration has the durability of a pensil eraser. Almost literally. I’m seeing that now. After two months of relatively mild trail/enduro riding it is starting to fall apart. Im thinking you fast guys will destroy this tyre in a weekend or two. The side knobs are literally being torn off at the base…and thats not even Maxxgrip, just Maxterra. Stick to dhr2 for now imo.