MTB Tyre Choices

patches

3 hours ago, MORNE said:

Now to ad some tyre experiences.

dont be tempted to buy MAXXIS Dissector (yet) for the rear. It’s a good tyre/thread pattern and i really like it, it rolls nice and fast and offers great corner traction to the point where you can hear it gripping even if you arent a shreddy McShredface.  
But it’s also well documented on the interwebs that this first iteration has the durability of a pensil eraser. Almost literally. I’m seeing that now. After two months of relatively mild trail/enduro riding it is starting to fall apart. Im thinking you fast guys will destroy this tyre in a weekend or two. The side knobs are literally being torn off at the base…and thats not even Maxxgrip, just Maxterra. Stick to dhr2 for now imo.

Nothing a little Shoe-goo can't fix :P

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 12/17/2022 at 2:24 PM, TheoG said:

I want to try Continental Speed King 29" x 2.2 on my "rigid road" MTB.  I did find one but need another.

Unfortunately cant find stock anywhere, if anyone can point me in the right direction, it will be greatly appreciated.

If you dont find locally then bikediscount or bike24 would be an option

I have really been enjoying the Pirelli XC Hardpack tyre. Was on special from Evo, super tyres though and in 2.2 they would be super fast while still being decent for most conditions.

On 12/20/2022 at 6:54 AM, MORNE said:

Now to ad some tyre experiences.

dont be tempted to buy MAXXIS Dissector (yet) for the rear. It’s a good tyre/thread pattern and i really like it, it rolls nice and fast and offers great corner traction to the point where you can hear it gripping even if you arent a shreddy McShredface.  
But it’s also well documented on the interwebs that this first iteration has the durability of a pensil eraser. Almost literally. I’m seeing that now. After two months of relatively mild trail/enduro riding it is starting to fall apart. Im thinking you fast guys will destroy this tyre in a weekend or two. The side knobs are literally being torn off at the base…and thats not even Maxxgrip, just Maxterra. Stick to dhr2 for now imo.

I love my Maxxis Dissectors, I run them front and rear and I haven't had any problems with them wearing to fast, or the side knobs ripping off, I have heard people saying the same as you, but in my experience, they are amazing tyres

41 minutes ago, Chadvdw67 said:

I love my Maxxis Dissectors, I run them front and rear and I haven't had any problems with them wearing to fast, or the side knobs ripping off, I have heard people saying the same as you, but in my experience, they are amazing tyres

I guess it’s also surface dependant then. Over here in the rocks they don't last at all. Im not good enough to really abuse them so me being able to rip side knobs off means they really do have a problem. They are a nice tire though and heres to hoping for a running change/upgrade since they’ll never admit it😅

Edited by MORNE

I'm running this combo from Spez that has plenty grip and structural integrity. I have had zero issues with these tyres riding all sorts of trails ranging from flow, single track, rock gardens, janky descents, jumps, roots, mud, dusty pebbly loose etc. 

Granted, these are very much Enduro, All Mountain oriented tyres and are definitely not fast rolling, but they do their job quietly and without fuss, giving me huge confidence out on my rides.

IMG_20221222_091356.jpg.081075e5c93c5fe08d181a0fa761ec30.jpg

1 hour ago, Robbie Stewart said:

I'm running this combo from Spez that has plenty grip and structural integrity. I have had zero issues with these tyres riding all sorts of trails ranging from flow, single track, rock gardens, janky descents, jumps, roots, mud, dusty pebbly loose etc. 

Granted, these are very much Enduro, All Mountain oriented tyres and are definitely not fast rolling, but they do their job quietly and without fuss, giving me huge confidence out on my rides.

IMG_20221222_091356.jpg.081075e5c93c5fe08d181a0fa761ec30.jpg

T9 front and T7 rear?

I run the Butcher in 2.6 and Eliminator in 2.35 on two bikes, they are excellent.

Butcher front and back at the moment in T9 2.35" versions. 

So far it is the best gripping tyre I've ever ridden. Had some minor problems with durability on one set but it turned out to be worthy of a warranty claim. 

I do have another set on the shelf which is Butcher/Eliminator. Keen to try that combo.

On 12/20/2022 at 6:38 AM, MORNE said:

We have a friend in the riding group who did this to a maxxis front tyre the one day too. It “buckled” so bad it made him go OTB a few meters further and we thought he bent his wheel in the crash.
It’s known as the infamous maxxis ‘death wobble’ and apparently happens when your pressures are on the lower side and you are able to put so much force through the tyre to make it stretch/fold over, or as in his case…went through some gnarly stuff fast enough for the tyre to stretch over a rock. It literally stretches the casing in that spot and it will never go back to the way it was. Im assuming it happens easier on the ‘lighter’ casing tyres too since they are thinner.

I've had an Ardent wobble after I battled with sealant "velcroing" the sidewalls together after replacing sealant so I guess my manhandling must have stretched it as I really battled with it. Having said that, I used to run my Ardent Race front tyre, 2.35 on 25mm rims as low as 1.1 Bar over lots of gnarly stuff and I've never had any issues. I now run a Minion DH up front which likes about 1.5 Bar.

11 hours ago, LazyTrailRider said:

T9 front and T7 rear?

I run the Butcher in 2.6 and Eliminator in 2.35 on two bikes, they are excellent.

T9 upfront yes, dunno about the rear. I'll have to go have a look in the morning. 

But to me this is the best combo I've ridden to date for sure.

IMG_20221222_215824.jpg.8bc4fd66adbd85dd163e67a1732ea6f0.jpg

I’d like to try Magic Mary/ big betty too at some stage. 
I had some of the newer Hans Damph/Nobby Nicks/Rock Razors in Addix a few years ago and they were all very nice tyres. They also don't look as ‘cheap’ as maxxis - my gripe with the Maxxis sidewall-graphic-puke is well documented on here 😅

990FC451-9D16-4B6A-AD1D-9F2FDA9A7241.jpeg

D59DB7C5-CAD2-4064-AD6A-DBB94DCCF663.jpeg

Edited by MORNE

11 hours ago, MORNE said:

I’d like to try Magic Mary/ big betty too at some stage. 
I had some of the newer Hans Damph/Nobby Nicks/Rock Razors in Addix a few years ago and they were all very nice tyres. They also don't look as ‘cheap’ as maxxis - my gripe with the Maxxis sidewall-graphic-puke is well documented on here 😅

990FC451-9D16-4B6A-AD1D-9F2FDA9A7241.jpeg

D59DB7C5-CAD2-4064-AD6A-DBB94DCCF663.jpeg

Those look very nice indeed. 

Maxxis is OEM on most of MTB Brands.

Not the Best but you could say it is the "Xerox" of MTB Tyres.

Last you 5K  "Sometimes More"

Just going to out this out there…..

OEM is not the same as retail. At least 50gr difference per tyre

PS: merry Christmas everyone

Edited by DieselnDust

• 1 month later...

i'm running Nobby Nix Addix versions, they are very heavy and don't roll great but they eat up the tracks especially the dusty parts of Tokai, I was using Saguaros but they wash out a bit to easy at this time of year, its always a trade off between speed and grip, you really feel the NN's on the climbs 😅