MTB Tyre Choices

patches

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Fantastic, looking forward to the feedback. 

i picked up a pair of the Booster Pro 29x2.4

seems  a bit narro for a 2.4 but wider than the 2.2 Scorpion S I have fitted currently. Weight is 713gr for one tyre the other is 723gr

so slightly heavier than the Scorpion S but more volume. Sounds like a good balance so far.

rubber feels about as soft as the Scorpion so I'm expecting similar grip when new but the tread is somewhere in between the Scorpion S and M.

Need to pick up a bottle of Enduro seal tonight and then they're on the bike for the weekend and MTB Challenge

i picked up a pair of the Booster Pro 29x2.4

seems  a bit narro for a 2.4 but wider than the 2.2 Scorpion S I have fitted currently. Weight is 713gr for one tyre the other is 723gr

so slightly heavier than the Scorpion S but more volume. Sounds like a good balance so far.

rubber feels about as soft as the Scorpion so I'm expecting similar grip when new but the tread is somewhere in between the Scorpion S and M.

Need to pick up a bottle of Enduro seal tonight and then they're on the bike for the weekend and MTB Challenge

If memory serves, back in the day's of of 26'ers being the norm you used to rock on "Killer Bee's"?

If memory serves, back in the day's of of 26'ers being the norm you used to rock on "Killer Bee's"?

That's correct. Still have them hanging in the garage. Rubber is probably rock hard and the rear is ****ed

They were quite superb

• 1 month later...

I'm currently using Schwalbe Nobby Nic's 2.35 front and rear given that they came with my new MTB. Although the grip is phenomenal, the rolling resistance is super high and my plan will be to use them during winter.

I'm as such looking at utilising either a Vittoria Barzo / Mezcal III combo or alternatively, the new Schwalbe Racing Ray / Racing Ralph combo, both setups in 2.35 sizing. 

Any opinions or experiences with these specific tyres - I'm mostly riding XC type of routes with the odd light trail excursion madness thrown in to keep things excited. Given that most of the riding is done in the forest, there are the odd tree roots and rocks as well. 

• 1 month later...

I'm currently using Schwalbe Nobby Nic's 2.35 front and rear given that they came with my new MTB. Although the grip is phenomenal, the rolling resistance is super high and my plan will be to use them during winter.

I'm as such looking at utilising either a Vittoria Barzo / Mezcal III combo or alternatively, the new Schwalbe Racing Ray / Racing Ralph combo, both setups in 2.35 sizing. 

Any opinions or experiences with these specific tyres - I'm mostly riding XC type of routes with the odd light trail excursion madness thrown in to keep things excited. Given that most of the riding is done in the forest, there are the odd tree roots and rocks as well. 

Moral of the story - the Racing Ray / Racing ralph combo in tubeless format is a damn fine combination! 

• 2 weeks later...

Moral of the story - the Racing Ray / Racing ralph combo in tubeless format is a damn fine combination! 

Would love to try this combo, but with the eye-watering price tag, I think I shall stick with my Barzo / Saguaro combo - been very happy with this.

My new bike came with Maxxis Ikons. I had Crossmarks for a while now, but I kind of like the new Ikons for XC riding.

Then i think  you will LOVE the Pirelli Scorpion M (mixed terrain compound tyre)

• 5 weeks later...

Well, sidewall cut on my rear Ikon.  Going to try a new combination, Crossmark 2.1 at the rear and Ikon 2.2 on the front.