Rugby...

'Dale

Well, there we have it, the Playoffs have been set.

I have to agree with Delarey regarding the split in the playoff draw, Boks have the easier run-in.

Plus you have the benefit that NZ will have to negotiate two potential banana peel matches in Ireland and Aus, both having beaten NZ recently so the "fear factor" has been broken. (England have only beaten NZ once since 2004, so no-use relying on them to knock out the All Blacks)

Three Big matches. Win all three of them and the William Web Ellis trophy is yours...

Fascinating how the odds for Japan to win the World Cup is suddenly on par with that of France, 40/1.

NZ still the favourites, SA a relatively close 2nd and England 3rd. The odds quickly become long for Wales,Ireland and Aus.

Three BIG rugby weekends ahead

post-27827-0-00942400-1571028531_thumb.png

• Replies 7.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Pretty much how I call it, Quarters England win, NZ win, Wales win and SA win. Then NZ win and SA win semis. Sadly then NZ win final. 

Japan will be a tough game, but I can’t help being happy that Ireland, NZ, England and Aus are all bunched up on the same side of the tournament. To win the cup we will only need to beat one of those teams.

Agreed.

Think an easy win for the Boks is on the cards. Japan winning the group I believe will result in Boks making final. But predictions are just that.

Japan Scotland game was fantastic and shows japan would of made playoffs anyway even if Ireland win was a fluke

Well, there we have it, the Playoffs have been set.

I have to agree with Delarey regarding the split in the playoff draw, Boks have the easier run-in.

Plus you have the benefit that NZ will have to negotiate two potential banana peel matches in Ireland and Aus, both having beaten NZ recently so the "fear factor" has been broken. (England have only beaten NZ once since 2004, so no-use relying on them to knock out the All Blacks)

Three Big matches. Win all three of them and the William Web Ellis trophy is yours...

Fascinating how the odds for Japan to win the World Cup is suddenly on par with that of France, 40/1.

NZ still the favourites, SA a relatively close 2nd and England 3rd. The odds quickly become long for Wales,Ireland and Aus.

Three BIG rugby weekends ahead

apart from the france/arg +aus/wales games being 50/50, japan beating ireland and then topping the group, it has been incredibly predictable.

They need to look at another way to do this tournament. there are two levels of rugby, and they are light years apart. it takes too long for a japan or argentina to become tier1 this way.

to win the cup SA could very possibly, lose to NZ, beat italy, japan, Wales and England

basically just need to win 2 tough games over 7 weeks?

We saw this in 2007.

I'd rather have 5/6 tough games and the better team will come out tops.

apart from the france/arg +aus/wales games being 50/50, japan beating ireland and then topping the group, it has been incredibly predictable.

They need to look at another way to do this tournament. there are two levels of rugby, and they are light years apart. it takes too long for a japan or argentina to become tier1 this way.

to win the cup SA could very possibly, lose to NZ, beat italy, japan, Wales and England

basically just need to win 2 tough games over 7 weeks?

We saw this in 2007.

I'd rather have 5/6 tough games and the better team will come out tops.

What are you suggesting? A 2nd tier round robin playoffs with the top tier going through to a final round robin playoffs?

Nam, Can, USA, Uruguay, Fiji, Samoa, Russia, Tonga, Georgia, Italy, Arg, Scot

Top 8 world rankings tier round robin

SA, NZ, Eng, Ire, Fra, Wal, Japan,Aus plus top 2 from previous (likely Arg and Scot)

Final is 5 weeks of rugby and then top plays 4th and 2nd and 3rd play each other

I hereby undertake, should the Springboks lose against Japan, to ride naked for an hour on my single speed up and down the main road in Bloem. Or until the cops arrest me.

So confident am I that we will destroy the Japs.

I am as confident , but its cold here so wont make a similar prediction.

Its my modesty I am concerned about you understand.

Edited by IceCreamMan

What are you suggesting? A 2nd tier round robin playoffs with the top tier going through to a final round robin playoffs?

Nam, Can, USA, Uruguay, Fiji, Samoa, Russia, Tonga, Georgia, Italy, Arg, Scot

Top 8 world rankings tier round robin

SA, NZ, Eng, Ire, Fra, Wal, Japan,Aus plus top 2 from previous (likely Arg and Scot)

Final is 5 weeks of rugby and then top plays 4th and 2nd and 3rd play each other

I think the IPL is the best example of how to reward a team that does well in the league once it comes to knockout phases...just not easy to play games so closely as T20  (or should we say that, damnit, this is a world cup- you have a squad of 32 players, you don't need 7 days between each game?)

My rough proposal, on a cyber napkin so to speak.

10 teams qualify for tier 1 - go via world rankings etc.

2 pools of 5. - 4 solid strength v strength games

both top teams goes through to semis*.

2nd teams play each other. winner goes to semi1

loser players tier2 winner, for the spot in semi2

have 10-16 whatever teams in tier2 competition.

run this in parallel with the tier1, maybe even use venues for double headers to keep costs down.

or add an extra week and take similiar concept down to quarters level.

just to remind you, in 2007 we won because we

beat england...topped our pool

beat fiji, argentina, eng in the knockouts.....easily the easiest draw possible.

SNIP

just to remind you, in 2007 we won because we

beat england...topped our pool

beat fiji, argentina, eng in the knockouts.....easily the easiest draw possible.

Very True

In every World Cup where we were knocked out before the final, we played either NZ or Aus and they bumped us out...

1999, vs Aus in SF: 27-21 (Extra time)

2003, vs NZ in QF: 29-9

2011, vs Aus in QF, 11-9

2015, vs NZ in SF, 20-18

This time round we can only meet them in the Final...

The omens look good.

Very True

In every World Cup where we were knocked out before the final, we played either NZ or Aus and they bumped us out...

2011, vs Aus in QF, 11-9

2015, vs NZ in SF, 20-18

The omens look good.

so basically we haven't beaten australia or new zealand since 1995, but played them collectively 5 times!

Edited by Shebeen

Very True

2011, vs Aus in QF, 11-9

2015, vs NZ in SF, 20-18

The omens look good.

Let's not talk about 2011.... Yes.. I'm still bitter about Bryce

so basically we haven't beaten australia or new zealand since 1995, but played them collectively 5 times!

Third place playoff win vs ABs in 1999

SA have 2 of each

2 wins (NZ and Eng)

2 third places (NZ and Arg)

2 out in QF (NZ and Aus)

SA are on a 12 year win cycle... 1995 - 2007 and 2019 is the next 12 year cycle.

Everyone is already talking about a big winning Margin against Japan. But don't underestimate these Japs. Their handling is impressive.Not the biggest Forwards, so i guess they will speed up the game, and make our big forwards run around the park. It only takes a slight dip in concentration, then they are 2 tries ahead, and we are playing catch-up. Nobody is giving them a shot on Sunday, but i wont be surprised if they cause an upset. 

Everyone is already talking about a big winning Margin against Japan. But don't underestimate these Japs. Their handling is impressive.Not the biggest Forwards, so i guess they will speed up the game, and make our big forwards run around the park. It only takes a slight dip in concentration, then they are 2 tries ahead, and we are playing catch-up. Nobody is giving them a shot on Sunday, but i wont be surprised if they cause an upset.

I don't think anyone is underestimating them.. It's number 5 in the world playing number 7 playing against an entire stadium!