Rugby...

'Dale

Everyone is already talking about a big winning Margin against Japan. But don't underestimate these Japs. Their handling is impressive.Not the biggest Forwards, so i guess they will speed up the game, and make our big forwards run around the park. It only takes a slight dip in concentration, then they are 2 tries ahead, and we are playing catch-up. Nobody is giving them a shot on Sunday, but i wont be surprised if they cause an upset. 

I do think the Irish game they were underestimated as Ireland did not play their strongest team believing they have it in the bag. When Ireland played Scotland both fielded their A group and Ireland thumped Scotland. I'm not much of a should have, could have but the result would have shown if the Irish A squad had run out against the Japanese instead. 

Edited by scotty

• Replies 7.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Third place playoff win vs ABs in 1999

SA have 2 of each

2 wins (NZ and Eng)

2 third places (NZ and Arg)

2 out in QF (NZ and Aus)

SA are on a 12 year win cycle... 1995 - 2007 and 2019 is the next 12 year cycle.

no one cares about that game, i don't really count that as a RWC win it's a woodenspoon of note.

i can't believe they still hold it.

I do think the Irish game they were underestimated as Ireland did not play their strongest team believing they have it in the bag. When Ireland played Scotland both fielded their A group and Ireland thumped Scotland. I'm not much of a should have, could have but the result would have shown if the Irish A squad had run out against the Japanese instead. 

ja,

i also think they have played their final, just making the knockouts is a success for them.

Can japan win, sure.

I think it would be more suprising than brighton though, as the suprise element is gone.

Everyone is already talking about a big winning Margin against Japan. But don't underestimate these Japs. Their handling is impressive.Not the biggest Forwards, so i guess they will speed up the game, and make our big forwards run around the park. It only takes a slight dip in concentration, then they are 2 tries ahead, and we are playing catch-up. Nobody is giving them a shot on Sunday, but i wont be surprised if they cause an upset. 

While I'm backing the Boks all the way, I also think it won't be a big winning margin...we need to take this team (and the home crowd advantage) very very seriously. 

..we need to take this team (and the home crowd advantage) very very seriously. 

And we will, of that I am sure. Rassie is a very astute manager of players and they will not be underestimating the Japanese and will match them for intensity. It will be a great game and if I could have chosen our QF opponent, I'd have gone with Japan every time.

But I think that the second half of the Scotland game showed how a stronger pack can  drive the Blossoms off the ruck ball and big runners can go through the defensive line. We have the stronger pack and a much stronger bench : We have two full, international strength front rows and three of the best 5 locks at the tournament. Frankly, any one of Etzebeth, de Jager or Snyman would have made the difference for the Scots in the last quarter of their game.

Unlike the Scots, we wont be scared of the set pieces and take quick throw-ins. We will play to our strengths and put them under pressure to make mistakes. We will slow the game down (which is not the same as being slow) and wear the down physically; no matter how fit they are.

It may be close for a while, but I can see us moving away decisively in the second half.

And we will, of that I am sure. Rassie is a very astute manager of players and they will not be underestimating the Japanese and will match them for intensity. It will be a great game and if I could have chosen our QF opponent, I'd have gone with Japan every time.

But I think that the second half of the Scotland game showed how a stronger pack can  drive the Blossoms off the ruck ball and big runners can go through the defensive line. We have the stronger pack and a much stronger bench : We have two full, international strength front rows and three of the best 5 locks at the tournament. Frankly, any one of Etzebeth, de Jager or Snyman would have made the difference for the Scots in the last quarter of their game.

Unlike the Scots, we wont be scared of the set pieces and take quick throw-ins. We will play to our strengths and put them under pressure to make mistakes. We will slow the game down (which is not the same as being slow) and wear the down physically; no matter how fit they are.

It may be close for a while, but I can see us moving away decisively in the second half.

Boks by 25 points

the best refs are not so great..or is it the laws?

just a quick pic to show how far they are from the actual laws. this is just an example, there's probably a handful of movements in the game where there is no one breaking any of the laws.

https://laws.worldrugby.org/?highlight=offside&law=19

scrum-offside-en.jpg

post-1830-0-94916800-1571661909_thumb.png

post-1830-0-45536100-1571661940_thumb.png

freezframe whilst ball is still "in the scrum".

As we can see..the actual offside line is the red line, 5m behind the last man's feet (orange line).

The jap scrumhalf can not be between the flank and eightman (yellow rectangle).

so basically, according to the law, only the japanese fullback is onside.

watch in realtime https://youtu.be/CHfqnCmR9nE?t=32

why even bother with laws if you're not going to follow them?

it goes without saying, of course, that the put in to the scrum was almost definitely not straight, mainly because it never is.

the best refs are not so great..or is it the laws?

just a quick pic to show how far they are from the actual laws. this is just an example, there's probably a handful of movements in the game where there is no one breaking any of the laws.

https://laws.worldrugby.org/?highlight=offside&law=19

scrum-offside-en.jpg

attachicon.gifscrumlaws.png

attachicon.gifjap scrum.png

freezframe whilst ball is still "in the scrum".

As we can see..the actual offside line is the red line, 5m behind the last man's feet (orange line).

The jap scrumhalf can not be between the flank and eightman (yellow rectangle).

so basically, according to the law, only the japanese fullback is onside.

watch in realtime https://youtu.be/CHfqnCmR9nE?t=32

why even bother with laws if you're not going to follow them?

it goes without saying, of course, that the put in to the scrum was almost definitely not straight, mainly because it never is.

Wayne Barnes had a shocker.

1. Those Japs were in front of that white line most of the game.

2. Beast tip tackle should have been a red card

3. Duh Duh wasn't crawling when he scored.

4. High ball head high tackle on one of the saffas

Wayne Barnes had a shocker.

1. Those Japs were in front of that white line most of the game.

2. Beast tip tackle should have been a red card

3. Duh Duh wasn't crawling when he scored.

4. High ball head high tackle on one of the saffas

It was not a red card because the head and neck area of the player did not make contact with the ground. If the Japanese player didn't put his arm out to stop his head from hitting the ground he would have certainly got a red card. By putting his arm out he ended up past the 90 but landing on his shoulder and then back, thus the yellow.

It was not a red card because the head and neck area of the player did not make contact with the ground. If the Japanese player didn't put his arm out to stop his head from hitting the ground he would have certainly got a red card. By putting his arm out he ended up past the 90 but landing on his shoulder and then back, thus the yellow.

I dunno. he lifted him past the horizontal, and didn't put him down without causing harm.

From other incidents, most would seem to give red for this. Beast seems to have been saved by the Jap prop instinctively putting out and landing on his arm first

SO, it highlights how ridiculous things have got.

The sanction is now determined not by the action of the player, but by what happens!

You'll see here, Fekitoa is down, has a huge smile on his face once the card is given and then gets back to play (yellow card was later rescinded as it deemed a fair tackle). Exactly the same reaction by Jap prop this weekend - we have got to the point that making things look bad has a potential huge upside...

Soccer had this issue in 1986, Maradonna ran past everyone, seemingly at will. Rather than going for the ball and getting schooled, defenders just started hacking his ankles down and conceded a free kick. This incentivised Diego just just dive everytime he came near a player.

FIFA didn't sort it out and 30 years later it's still a huge problem.

I also think they need to rethink RED cards. ban the player from the match but let another sub on after 15mins. Having 14 v 15 for anything longer than this due to a single incident is just dumb and ruins games.

Even though it is working, I'm not so sure the 5-2 bench split is the safest, especially since it is now do or die knockout stuff.

It means we have just two backline reserves, (Herschel) jantjies and Frans steyn. 

With PsdT at flank, we currently have 5 locks in the matchday 23. they are all flippen good, Eben, PsdT, Lood, RG and FM would walk into the starting lineup of almost any team in the world currently. Just one loosie on the bench but malcolm marx does a lot of that work outside the setpieces (otherwise we might actually have seen schalk brits in this mix).

HJantjies covers just scrumhalf. FSteyn covers centre, and I suppose at a push fullback and even worse flyhalf. I don't think any of de allende, Am, mapimpi or nkosi can play out of their starting positions, so missing kolbe takes a fullback option too.

Not having damian willemse or (elton) jantjies on the bench means any backline injuries and our structures will be completely out of place. Even cobus reinach might have played 10 before (or am i thinking that was only really ruan piennaar?). We should probably have benched one of those 5 locks and gone with 4-3 to be on the safe side.

If a wing gets injured...bring on Steyn at 15 and Willie to wing? or jantjies outwide?

If handre pollard gets injured...Steyn on at 15 and Willie to flyhalf? that's a flippen mile off our best options.

Also, any injuries to the matchday 23, and kwagga/britz/tank du toit/reinach/willemse/elton will come in with very little match time for next weekend.

in other news...leigh halfpenny is at the world cup?!!!

South Africa

15 Willie le Roux, 14 S'bu Nkosi, 13 Lukhanyo Am, 12 Damian de Allende, 11 Makazole Mapimpi, 10 Handre Pollard, 9 Faf de Klerk, 8 Duane Vermeulen, 7 Pieter-Steph du Toit, 6 Siya Kolisi (captain), 5 Lood de Jager, 4 Eben Etzebeth, 3 Frans Malherbe, 2 Bongi Mbonambi, 1 Tendai Mtawarira

Substitutes: 16 Malcolm Marx, 17 Steven Kitshoff, 18 Vincent Koch, 19 RG Snyman, 20 Franco Mostert, 21 Francois Louw, 22 Herschel Jantjies, 23 Frans Steyn

Wales

15 Leigh Halfpenny, 14 George North, 13 Jonathan Davies, 12 Hadleigh Parkes, 11 Josh Adams, 10 Dan Biggar, 9 Gareth Davies, 8 Ross Moriarty, 7 Justin Tipuric, 6 Aaron Wainwright, 5 Alun Wyn Jones, 4 Jake Ball, 3 Tomas Francis, 2 Ken Owens, 1 Wyn Jones

Substitutes: 16 Elliot Dee, 17 Rhys Carre, 18 Dillon Lewis, 19 Adam Beard, 20 Aaron Shingler, 21 Tomos Williams, 22 Rhys Patchell, 23 Owen Watkin

Even though it is working, I'm not so sure the 5-2 bench split is the safest, especially since it is now do or die knockout stuff.

It means we have just two backline reserves, (Herschel) jantjies and Frans steyn. 

With PsdT at flank, we currently have 5 locks in the matchday 23. they are all flippen good, Eben, PsdT, Lood, RG and FM would walk into the starting lineup of almost any team in the world currently. Just one loosie on the bench but malcolm marx does a lot of that work outside the setpieces (otherwise we might actually have seen schalk brits in this mix).

HJantjies covers just scrumhalf. FSteyn covers centre, and I suppose at a push fullback and even worse flyhalf. I don't think any of de allende, Am, mapimpi or nkosi can play out of their starting positions, so missing kolbe takes a fullback option too.

Not having damian willemse or (elton) jantjies on the bench means any backline injuries and our structures will be completely out of place. Even cobus reinach might have played 10 before (or am i thinking that was only really ruan piennaar?). We should probably have benched one of those 5 locks and gone with 4-3 to be on the safe side.

If a wing gets injured...bring on Steyn at 15 and Willie to wing? or jantjies outwide?

If handre pollard gets injured...Steyn on at 15 and Willie to flyhalf? that's a flippen mile off our best options.

Also, any injuries to the matchday 23, and kwagga/britz/tank du toit/reinach/willemse/elton will come in with very little match time for next weekend.

in other news...leigh halfpenny is at the world cup?!!!

South Africa

15 Willie le Roux, 14 S'bu Nkosi, 13 Lukhanyo Am, 12 Damian de Allende, 11 Makazole Mapimpi, 10 Handre Pollard, 9 Faf de Klerk, 8 Duane Vermeulen, 7 Pieter-Steph du Toit, 6 Siya Kolisi (captain), 5 Lood de Jager, 4 Eben Etzebeth, 3 Frans Malherbe, 2 Bongi Mbonambi, 1 Tendai Mtawarira

Substitutes: 16 Malcolm Marx, 17 Steven Kitshoff, 18 Vincent Koch, 19 RG Snyman, 20 Franco Mostert, 21 Francois Louw, 22 Herschel Jantjies, 23 Frans Steyn

Wales

15 Leigh Halfpenny, 14 George North, 13 Jonathan Davies, 12 Hadleigh Parkes, 11 Josh Adams, 10 Dan Biggar, 9 Gareth Davies, 8 Ross Moriarty, 7 Justin Tipuric, 6 Aaron Wainwright, 5 Alun Wyn Jones, 4 Jake Ball, 3 Tomas Francis, 2 Ken Owens, 1 Wyn Jones

Substitutes: 16 Elliot Dee, 17 Rhys Carre, 18 Dillon Lewis, 19 Adam Beard, 20 Aaron Shingler, 21 Tomos Williams, 22 Rhys Patchell, 23 Owen Watkin

It is actually a 6-2 split, but we get the jist of what you meant ;)

I also feel uncomfortable with just Steyn and Jantjies covering the backs. Only real option is to drop Mostert and bring Willemse onto the bench.

Have to think our chances would take a serious nose-dive if Pollard gets injured early in the game, regardless of who from this Matchday 23 slots into his position. 

I suspect we will see a slightly different gameplan on Sunday from the Boks compared to how they approached Japan. Would love to see Pollard and our Centres have a go at the line with some running rugby.

But this is knockout rugby, just get the win in the bag so we can go play the All Blacks in the decider, no matter what it looks like.

I dunno. he lifted him past the horizontal, and didn't put him down without causing harm.

From other incidents, most would seem to give red for this. Beast seems to have been saved by the Jap prop instinctively putting out and landing on his arm first

SO, it highlights how ridiculous things have got.

The sanction is now determined not by the action of the player, but by what happens!

You'll see here, Fekitoa is down, has a huge smile on his face once the card is given and then gets back to play (yellow card was later rescinded as it deemed a fair tackle). Exactly the same reaction by Jap prop this weekend - we have got to the point that making things look bad has a potential huge upside...

Soccer had this issue in 1986, Maradonna ran past everyone, seemingly at will. Rather than going for the ball and getting schooled, defenders just started hacking his ankles down and conceded a free kick. This incentivised Diego just just dive everytime he came near a player.

FIFA didn't sort it out and 30 years later it's still a huge problem.

I also think they need to rethink RED cards. ban the player from the match but let another sub on after 15mins. Having 14 v 15 for anything longer than this due to a single incident is just dumb and ruins games.

Completely agree on the red card. I know Kobus Wiese is also very vocal about it - needs to change.

I also think something along the lines of what you are suggesting should work.

Completely agree on the red card. I know Kobus Wiese is also very vocal about it - needs to change.

I also think something along the lines of what you are suggesting should work.

hardest job in SA rugby is not Springbok coach.

it's the tailor who makes this guy's suits

http://storage.news.nowmedia.co.za/medialibrary/Article/196277/Grande-Roche-Hotel-appoints-South-African-brand-ambassador-800x400.jpg