Moderation and a re-look at our Community Guidelines

Matt

I dont know, but I dont think there should be. I think the moderators should remain until such time they either resign or the administrator decides to replace them. I participate on another international board and the moderators have been the same for years now, at least five or six anyway and they still do a sterling job.

I think it takes time to understand the dynamics of the people on the site at any time, and the moderators cant do that if they are changed every few months. Personally I dont have any issues with the moderation of the site. The "report" key is available, so if something offends you enough then as admin says, "report it" and it will be looked into, I cant see how you can improve on that by changing mods.

Yeah, makes sense.

:thumbup:

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It depends on the culture that the site has evolved into which dictates how it will be going forward.

The Hub has pretty much been a free for all bun fight for a while now. There are those that like a bun fight, and others who prefer a more docile enviroment. It also depends on the demographic you are targeting, and a sight like this will attract very few female, or younger members because of the general tone that rears it's head more often than not.

To reel it back from here wont be easy, because those who continually bend and break the rules will continue to do so. Attempts by moderators to enforce control will just be seen as everything it is not intended to be, by those who are being moderated. Of course consistency is key, and sadly that has been lacking. From an admin point of view it's a difficult animal to control. You want the traffic to keep the sponsors happy, and at the same time you want to create a platform that will attract sponsors. Enforce the rules too hard and all you will hear is crickets, not want sponsors want to hear. Be too lenient and you have anarchy, and that will drive sponsors away.

There is always resistance to change and you cant please all the people all the time, but just be consistent in applying the rules.

Easier said that done, I've been there on another Hobby related forum and eventually had to split and break away because there were those that just refused to live in a governed society.

Nathrix and Tumbleweed: please do not turn this into a personal to and fro. If you have specific feedback, criticism or complaints please address these to me.

It does not help complaining to you Admin ! I have complained various times to you concerning Tumbleweed's actions, PM's and sense of "Godness" on this forum. You always take his side or just say " I'll look into it " with nothing ever being done.

I'm glad that finally other people are also starting to complain and see the true facts.

It does not help complaining to you Admin ! I have complained various times to you concerning Tumbleweed's actions, PM's and sense of "Godness" on this forum. You always take his side or just say " I'll look into it " with nothing ever being done.

I'm glad that finally other people are also starting to complain and see the true facts.

Can back you on that one.......he's been attacking Johan from yellowsaddle any many other peeps for ages...

Just some stats Non cycling chit chat 18063 topics 335,477 replies

SA Pro cycling 3081 topics 61112 replies

International cycling 1614 topics 35327 replies

Tech Q&A 10501 topics 127916 replies

Interesting stats

Edited by Wayne_Potgieter2

Good to see Tech up there ! I think this is about what the stats looks like for any other forum .

Suggestion:

Please upgrade the first suspension to a month.(minimum)

Two days does not serve sufficient deterrent.

A significant suspension will give the offender a meaningful time for reflection and send a clear message of zero tolerance.

Edited by HeartCoppi

Suggestion:

Please upgrade the first suspension to a month.(minimum)

Two days does not serve sufficient deterrent.

A significant suspension will give the offender a meaningful time for reflection and send a clear message of zero tolerance.

:P you sound like such a fun guy...

I dont think it makes any sense.... it's just not justified... because if the person returns within the two days and cause further kuk he/she would face a more serious or more permanent penalty, not so? so 2 days is enough...

maybe we can rather take away their drivers licence, or report them to a credit bureau, or toiletpaper their house... or why dont we just TAR & FEATHER while we are at it...

LOLZ

Edited by TheV

Welcome to the New Hub Order........resistance is futile and sanatization is inevitable.....

Hi all,

Thanks for the feedback.

There have been a few comments about the "new" rules. Let me clear this up: the rules posted on page 1 are not new. We've always had a set of forum rules very much in-line with these. These are simply revised rules with a touch more explanation and emphasis on specific problem areas.

The purpose of posting these and the proposed 3-strike policy is to gain feedback (which we have) and provide transparency on the approach going forward.

Time-line on the 3 strike policy

This is a good suggestion and will be implemented.

All warnings / suspensions will have a 30 day life time.

This means that if the 2nd offence occurs within 30 days of receiving the 1st warning a 2 day suspension will apply.

A repeat offence in the 30 days following the 2 day suspension will result in a permanent ban.

(I'll amend my original post to include this.)

The intention is not to be petty or create a sterile environment. We've always had rules, but these have never been strictly or consistently enforced. One of the challenges has been not having a defined and transparent policy when it comes to warnings / suspensions / bannings.

Having this in place will allow us to be more decisive and consistent in the application of the rules.

If anyone has any more feedback or suggestions we welcome this.

Kind Regards,

Matt

Are we still allowed to say crap?

The problem is some moderators think they are the Hub or bigger then the Hub. Attempting to attract attention to oneselve with a huge post count does not give you that privilege. Opening new threads with controversial issues in the news which they know will make some of the hubbers blood boil. What happens, spats break out and the thread gets locked. To keep on provoking people is just not cool, I would rather vote for a moderator who can provide more cycling related material or talk more with his legs instead of his mouth. Trying to sound clever with only the "fast" knowledge of the english vocabulary, a pint in the other hand and belittling people all the time.....not good moderator, enough is enough.

Well....let's see where the new rules and ideas take us? Give it a chance or attack it on the first day?

Again the issue of "posts of moderators" not being moderated.

What you DON'T see in the back ground is a WHOLE FORUM dedicated to all issues and reports.

If a moderator's post has been reported, it gets reviewed by ALL and if the rules have been broken it gets dealt with.

That you don't see in the public domain.....

Rest assured. If anything gets reported, it gets a discussion. And action is taken if need be.

Impartiality is the question raised by many on this thread and elsewhere. Like trust, it takes one action to destroy, but a whole serious of actions to build. To link to other posts regarding the tenure of a moderator, what happens if moderators elected by forum members become undesirable as moderators to the rest of the forum members? Tough this, because nobody likes those who keeps them in line!

Is there a three strikes, or similair policy, for moderators? Not just for being objectionable as a member, but also as a moderator?

As for child friendly........

I must agree........the whole INTERNET thing is getting out of hand! :wacko: :unsure: :huh:

Try getting a naked pic of a girl back in the 80s........

vs.

Try google a girls name with safe search off and NOT get a naked pic of a girl.

Tough place this......

Yes, and you can't even search for pictures of a hammer :( However, just because the world is turning to pot does not mean we have to stand idly by. How about a broken window policy to the internet, starting with The Hub?

And here I agree WHOLEheartedly. I would DEARLY love to delete ALL topics that goes into any of those two. Sadly this is a public domain with different people, color, belief, opinions etc.

It all depends how YOU as an individual handle things.

Stupid example. Years back I got in a furious discussion. I am a Christian. Many guys and girls around here are not. And I think it is TNT1 that thought me that it is OK not to be or to be what you are. Just don't ENFORCE it upon the other person. Free will.

As a Christian myself I know that the other person have heard about Christ. Knows what is about. But I cannot FORCE him to do something he does not want to do or believe in.

Even MORE so on the Internet in general.

Base line. RESPECT EACH OTHER.

Or they can discuss it over here. With respect. Like adults.

True that, however this is a cycling forum, and despite the chase for monthly fees (incoming and outgoing), it still stays a cycling forum. It is NOT a forum dedicated to general discussions, although as with many other forums it does have a sub-section to cater for general (off topic) discussions. Many of the threads that devolved into a bun fight with name calling and mud throwing started out due to some (perceived) disrespect, and a lot of those were due to a provocative, taunting & disrespectful FIRST post/dig.

The responders cannot be blamed if the OP clearly went out to look for trouble. It is naive to expect responders to be mature in response when they are provoked. So, RESPECT EACH OTHER, in ACTION and RE-ACTION. To me this implies staying away from topics that MAY cause people to re-act strongly and where their beliefs are challenged/attacked. (religion/race for example)

Not everybody has the ability, or willingness, to detach emotionally from an issue and discuss things in a logical & abstract manner. If something is very important to us, we humans undeniably tend to shoot first and ask questions later. Respect and expect that as well when posting topics and posting responses.

I for one, will not stand idly by and play the fiddle while something, or somebody, dear to me is burning!

Nathrix and Tumbleweed: please do not turn this into a personal to and fro. If you have septic feedback, criticism or complaints please address these to me.

Tumbleweed, say sorry to all those you have offended......Especially JB, he is a nice guy (Have you taken the time to meet him and greet him?)

Tumbleweed, say sorry to all those you have offended......Especially JB, he is a nice guy (Have you taken the time to meet him and greet him?)

I love JB... he's such a cool oke.... build's all my custom bikes for me... while i watch and drink coffee and ask stupid questions....

dammit admin: why did u calm them down. let them FIGHT>> FIIIIIIIIIIIIIGHTTTTTTT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

*ahem*