Moderation and a re-look at our Community Guidelines

Matt

HEman

As a note....what Admin explained in his first post......

Your post might (Read: WILL) be interpreted differently by different people.

I have always had a golden rule in any fight / argument. Very nice rule:

No name calling. Of any matter. Fight hard. Fight fair. Don't call each other names. That is just rude.

Have a look at Oom H's post. Lots of name calling. Maybe I am all of that. Maybe I am not. Does not matter. Fight fair. Or try to.

Make sense?

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Not defending E1, however he is a very confrontational person on here.

Some people are just like that, however mostly because of a trigger that pushed

Provocation is as bad as retaliation!

When can we vote for new Moderators?

Someone let me know as soon as Slowbee and Tumbleweed have been removed from their thrones and we're allowed to vote for someone new. Thanks

Thats true.

kind of like "two wrongs dont make a right"?

Yup

this being a cycling forum, a lot of provocative topics should be out-rightly banned. This goes for topics and posts by some moderators as well as members. There was a time when thehubsa.co.za was child-friendly, but these days the place is hardly friendly at all.

A couple (yeah 2) sample topics that should not be allowed are religion and racism.

For people who need a soapbox to express their non-cycling, provocative & contentious(some are even news worthy) issues they can use platforms such as twitter/facebook/blogs!

The problem then is that the average "serial" offender will just carry on doing what got them suspended in the first place, they might learn something but chances are it will not be "how to be a better hubber" but rather how to operate under the radar or on the boundry of the rules instead of within the rules of the forum.

I also fail to see what in eccentric1's justifies a "increased warning level" Slowbee seems to be taking this moderating thing to far.....

Go and have a look at the recent posts of E1, then think about it.

Yup

this being a cycling forum, a lot of provocative topics should be out-rightly banned. This goes for topics and posts by some moderators as well as members. There was a time when thehubsa.co.za was child-friendly, but these days the place is hardly friendly at all.

Well....let's see where the new rules and ideas take us? Give it a chance or attack it on the first day?

Again the issue of "posts of moderators" not being moderated.

What you DON'T see in the back ground is a WHOLE FORUM dedicated to all issues and reports.

If a moderator's post has been reported, it gets reviewed by ALL and if the rules have been broken it gets dealt with.

That you don't see in the public domain.....

Rest assured. If anything gets reported, it gets a discussion. And action is taken if need be.

As for child friendly........

I must agree........the whole INTERNET thing is getting out of hand! :wacko: :unsure: :huh:

Try getting a naked pic of a girl back in the 80s........

vs.

Try google a girls name with safe search off and NOT get a naked pic of a girl.

Tough place this......

A couple (yeah 2) sample topics that should not be allowed are religion and racism.

And here I agree WHOLEheartedly. I would DEARLY love to delete ALL topics that goes into any of those two. Sadly this is a public domain with different people, color, belief, opinions etc.

It all depends how YOU as an individual handle things.

Stupid example. Years back I got in a furious discussion. I am a Christian. Many guys and girls around here are not. And I think it is TNT1 that thought me that it is OK not to be or to be what you are. Just don't ENFORCE it upon the other person. Free will.

As a Christian myself I know that the other person have heard about Christ. Knows what is about. But I cannot FORCE him to do something he does not want to do or believe in.

Even MORE so on the Internet in general.

Base line. RESPECT EACH OTHER.

For people who need a soapbox to express their non-cycling, provocative & contentious(some are even news worthy) issues they can use platforms such as twitter/facebook/blogs!

Or they can discuss it over here. With respect. Like adults.

Yup

You just hit the nail SMACK on it's little head!

When can we vote for new Moderators?

Someone let me know as soon as Slowbee and Tumbleweed have been removed from their thrones and we're allowed to vote for someone new. Thanks

While neither member was free of guilt, the suspended member had already received a number of prior warnings for similar issues, hence the decision was taken by the moderation team (including myself) to suspend the member.

Quite simple really.

Yes, it is. Here's the rub, climb off your throne.

There's an idiom about speaking to the organ grinder not the monkey.

There's an idiom about speaking to the organ grinder not the monkey.

Sorry, not gonna fall to your level. Just more proof that you are not fit to be a moderator.

Nathrix and Tumbleweed: please do not turn this into a personal to and fro. If you have specific feedback, criticism or complaints please address these to me.

(I'm not really here...)

I kinda like that mods warn a member in public. It shows to others that that particular action or comment(s) will not be tolerated. If it happens behind closed doors the rest of us will think it's okay or be up in arms all the time pointing fingers not knowing that a particular person has been disciplined or reprimanded. It should never spiral into a vendetta and never come across to belittle or embarrass though.

But is it an open forum and we're all grown-ups here. Stick to the rules or face the consequence.

Nathrix and Tumbleweed: please do not turn this into a personal to and fro. If you have specific feedback, criticism or complaints please address these to me.

Is there a term of 'virtual office' for Moderators?

Is there a term of 'virtual office' for Moderators?

I dont know, but I dont think there should be. I think the moderators should remain until such time they either resign or the administrator decides to replace them. I participate on another international board and the moderators have been the same for years now, at least five or six anyway and they still do a sterling job.

I think it takes time to understand the dynamics of the people on the site at any time, and the moderators cant do that if they are changed every few months. Personally I dont have any issues with the moderation of the site. The "report" key is available, so if something offends you enough then as admin says, "report it" and it will be looked into, I cant see how you can improve on that by changing mods.