Coffee machine

A big thank you to V12 for the almost two hour coffee break on Friday to help me with my coffee making skills.

It was both pleasant and helpful. Things going well with the new machine at the moment.

Well that's not good news, thought/hoping you might get frustrated enough and through it away...onto the backseat of my car :ph34r: :D

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's one of my ongoing espresso projects - It's a 1980s La Pavoni Europiccola I picked up on gumtree. I had the base chromed (was mild steel painted with brown enamel) and made the wooden bits, also chopped the portafilter. The fins around the grouphead are supposed to stop it overheating (it's an LED heatsink I chopped a section out of) - not 100% convinced about this, but thought I'd give it a go. Boiler cap is missing from this picture - also wood. I have a Pressure gauge en-route from eBay. Fun project.

I got some tasty espressos out of it yesterday, though my lever technique needs some work...

post-77769-0-69144000-1468230088_thumb.jpg

Ahh that makes more sense then.

Well if you really want to go the nespresso route than an inissia is relatively cheap but as mentioned the pods cost an arm and a leg. Refillable ones are a real fiddle but do work.

These days I use an aeropress at work, takes a few minutes and is very easy to clean.

I just grind the beans at home in the morning and bring the amount I need with.

I was just looking at an AP this morning... might work better than an Nespresso...

Any advice where to buy and what else to buy with?

Here's one of my ongoing espresso projects - It's a 1980s La Pavoni Europiccola I picked up on gumtree. I had the base chromed (was mild steel painted with brown enamel) and made the wooden bits, also chopped the portafilter. The fins around the grouphead are supposed to stop it overheating (it's an LED heatsink I chopped a section out of) - not 100% convinced about this, but thought I'd give it a go. Boiler cap is missing from this picture - also wood. I have a Pressure gauge en-route from eBay. Fun project.

I got some tasty espressos out of it yesterday, though my lever technique needs some work...

OOOhhhh! 

Thats very nice!! 

I love my lever machines!!! 

I'm looking to buy a coffee making machine but don't know much about them.Could anyone please give me some advice on brands and what I should look out for in terms of their offering.

Ideally I want a "foamer" included and obviously one that can change the strength of the coffee.

My budget would be around R2500.

Nespresso! WHAT ELSE?

I do a fast every Monday. By Tuesday morning when I have my first meal all I can think about is that cappuccino. By that time I have a pounding headache. Pretty sure from caffeine withdrawal. The bliss as I take that first sip cannot be described. I totally understand heroin addiction.

Got my new cups from Acme NZ!!!

Sorry about the crappy pic!!

6d46181e13ce5aa1b18913840d26a502.jpg

nice, I see you opted for the smaller one. Did you only get one colour?

nice, I see you opted for the smaller one. Did you only get one colour?

Yeah I got 4 Tulips in this colour... 

I plan on ordering some from them soon, just waiting on the shipping quote so I can finalise numbers and would let everyone know!!

Yeah I got 4 Tulips in this colour... 

I plan on ordering some from them soon, just waiting on the shipping quote so I can finalise numbers and would let everyone know!!

Cool, let me know, I would be keen on some tulips as well. I have 12 flat white cups, but I'm only using 6 at present, so maybe we do a swop of sorts? But let's hear on the shipping - I know it's quite pricey, but the DHL route is the best option.

Cool, let me know, I would be keen on some tulips as well. I have 12 flat white cups, but I'm only using 6 at present, so maybe we do a swop of sorts? But let's hear on the shipping - I know it's quite pricey, but the DHL route is the best option.

They have given me some good pricing its just getting it here, so as soon as I have the shipping estimate we can work something out! 

Anyone passing through the Midlands pop in at Steam Punk coffee a few Km from the Mandela capture site. They just do coffee pretty much. A few muffins for sale they traded someone for with coffee. It's a funny place that might have been a petrol station at some point. Super friendly and passionate. Mostly just really good coffee. The owner showed me around the roasters and was very helpful and to me seemed knowledgable. Did I mention good coffee?

Finally got myself a 4 cup bialetti/Moka pot. Not new to it, but this is MY first one, any tips/tricks or advice from the guys using this for long? I want that perfect cup of coffee ;)

Finally got myself a 4 cup bialetti/Moka pot. Not new to it, but this is MY first one, any tips/tricks or advice from the guys using this for long? I want that perfect cup of coffee ;)

+1

I have had mine for about a month now. I got the 6 cup and it makes a decent size cappuccino. I am still getting the hang of the perfect time to take it off the heat. if I leave it on for just too long the pressure in the bottom builds a lot(not sure if I can adjust the little pressure relief valve) and then it sprays out the top quite hectic and has actually sprayed some coffee right out onto the stove. Also when it builds up that much you can actually see the coffee is weak as the colour is very pale. Otherwise it makes a good cuppa.