Coffee machine

Those baskets are funny things. Amongst others I have a Strada and an IMS, they both require different grind settings.

They are full of trickery... cant get two shots the same out of it... 

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've found that with consistent dose, and distribution my shots are consistent. I use a needle to distribute. It's when I use the ims that things going funny. Need to grind coarser.

who is the hubber or cyclist with the coffee shop in CT? Or just the shops name will be enough.

Iteachcoffee = Truth

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk

They are full of trickery... cant get two shots the same out of it... 

consistency is the key, grind, volume, dose, tamp, handling of porta-filter, immediate insert and brew, and keeping handles hot! 

It's not very impressive at the moment. I'm not doing badly with the extraction as far as I can see. Taste is impressive to me. I'm just not grooving it at the moment. I'm fumbling around. It will come I suppose. I will try shoot a video of the extraction tomorrow.

I gave the grinder a thorough clean this morning. Right down to the burrs. Should have done that ages ago. Fortunately with the Simonelli the adjustment is on the bottom burr so removing the top one and getting in to clean doesn't require dialing in the grinder again.

It's not very impressive at the moment. I'm not doing badly with the extraction as far as I can see. Taste is impressive to me. I'm just not grooving it at the moment. I'm fumbling around. It will come I suppose. I will try shoot a video of the extraction tomorrow.

I gave the grinder a thorough clean this morning. Right down to the burrs. Should have done that ages ago. Fortunately with the Simonelli the adjustment is on the bottom burr so removing the top one and getting in to clean doesn't require dialing in the grinder again.

Maybe watch some youtube videos of Matt Perger - the aussie ex world champ's technique - he is pretty slick ito efficient technique - as they most all are at that level.

Maybe watch some youtube videos of Matt Perger - the aussie ex world champ's technique - he is pretty slick ito efficient technique - as they most all are at that level.

Will do thanks. It's going to take time.

On the plus side I think quality is up by quite a bit. It's just erratic. Talking about espresso here. I'm also drinking more americanos than I used to. Having hot water on tap has caused that. Milk frothing is very hit and miss and making just two a day for my GF and I it will take a while to get it sorted. Perhaps I should just buy 4 l of milk and go for it but I feel very odd wasting food.

On the plus side I think quality is up by quite a bit. It's just erratic. Talking about espresso here. I'm also drinking more americanos than I used to. Having hot water on tap has caused that. Milk frothing is very hit and miss and making just two a day for my GF and I it will take a while to get it sorted. Perhaps I should just buy 4 l of milk and go for it but I feel very odd wasting food.

try with sunlight liquid and water until you find the sweet spot, then the milk is not wasted. Edited by geraldm24

You can practice frothing with a drop of dishwashing liquid and water in the jug - much cheaper than milk - don't bother trying to mix the dishwashing soap - just add it and go for it.

This is great: 

This is great: 

I like his trick with the sliding cloths on the drip dray - very slick, as is his use of a canning funnel to break up any clumps in the grind.