Coffee machine

I like his trick with the sliding cloths on the drip dray - very slick, as is his use of a canning funnel to break up any clumps in the grind.

Any idea of what grinder he's using? They talk about it, but don't give the details. Seems to be a filter grinder? And he's grinding course and using a different tamping technique to get it tight enough?

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Any idea of what grinder he's using? They talk about it, but don't give the details. Seems to be a filter grinder? And he's grinding course and using a different tamping technique to get it tight enough?

It's a Maelkoenig EK43 - not normally used for espresso, but can be - it's BIG..... :)

Happy reading:

Edit - old link does not work so well  - https://www.baristahustle.com/welcome-matt-perger-com/

Edited by V12man

V12man, any update on the Baratza Sette yet?

Nothing I have seen in SA yet - not that I am really searching for it at the moment

I'm in the market for a decent Moka Pot.

Bialetti seems to be the best and also the original. I enjoy a good Americano and not a huge fan of Espresso.

Which Bialetti will be best to make a normal good cup of coffee (not Espresso as I've noticed Espresso specific Moka pots)?

Also; can you make a smaller batch of coffee in a large pot? i.e. get a 6 cup Moka but only make enough for say; 2 cups in one batch?

Appreciate any advice on this...

I'm in the market for a decent Moka Pot.

Bialetti seems to be the best and also the original. I enjoy a good Americano and not a huge fan of Espresso.

Which Bialetti will be best to make a normal good cup of coffee (not Espresso as I've noticed Espresso specific Moka pots)?

Also; can you make a smaller batch of coffee in a large pot? i.e. get a 6 cup Moka but only make enough for say; 2 cups in one batch?

Appreciate any advice on this...

Stainless Bialetti - at Thrups in illovo - I often use my 6cup to make 2 cups of americano on holiday - but I do have a 2 cup one as well - kids use it as a toy.... they are fairly flexible in use, but I can't say I have ever tried to maximise taste from them.

Remember they are espresso cups, not mugs... :)

I am in the valley of despair at the moment. This bloody Linea Mini is working me over. After cleaning the grinder out and changing beans I'm all over. I ran out of beans and just picked up a bag from Woolies to see me through while I get used to the new machine. What a *** idea. I simply cannot get a decent cup of coffee out of it. Even the normally quite forgiving cappuccino is not good. On top of it the grind is all over. One moment the machine is choking the next I pull a really awful shot in just under 15s. I am usually pretty good with consistency but that is now out the window. Question is could that be related to beans? I have never noticed that before. It could be that I never cleaned out the grinder before and it is settling in again. Don't see why. It's metal. As for steaming milk, don't get me started. It's a coffee set up, it's not sentient, I think. Surely I can out think it?

On another note. Anyone heard about the new Baratza Sette grinder. Specs look interesting. Grinds 3.5g of espresso every second. Grinds to weight and is accurate to 0,2 g and grinds into the portafilter. Due for release around now. Projected cost $400. Sounds too good to be true. Will have to see the actual grind quality

I am in the valley of despair at the moment. This bloody Linea Mini is working me over. After cleaning the grinder out and changing beans I'm all over. I ran out of beans and just picked up a bag from Woolies to see me through while I get used to the new machine. What a *** idea. I simply cannot get a decent cup of coffee out of it. Even the normally quite forgiving cappuccino is not good. On top of it the grind is all over. One moment the machine is choking the next I pull a really awful shot in just under 15s. I am usually pretty good with consistency but that is now out the window. Question is could that be related to beans? I have never noticed that before. It could be that I never cleaned out the grinder before and it is settling in again. Don't see why. It's metal. As for steaming milk, don't get me started. It's a coffee set up, it's not sentient, I think. Surely I can out think it?

On another note. Anyone heard about the new Baratza Sette grinder. Specs look interesting. Grinds 3.5g of espresso every second. Grinds to weight and is accurate to 0,2 g and grinds into the portafilter. Due for release around now. Projected cost $400. Sounds too good to be true. Will have to see the actual grind quality

just scroll slightly back a page or so...

this was sent from V12man to me, i'm too awating, doesn't look to bad for the kitchen top too

http://www.home-barista.com/reviews/baratza-sette-270-review-t41369.html

Are you current blades sharp? Dull blades could be the issue? Is your hopper relatively full? Bean hop could be your issue with a near empty hopper? Is your tamping consistent in weight and level? try bending your knees and using body weight, pushing down is a gross motor skill not fine, and incredibly inconsistent. Also the level, of the tamping, try holding the portafilter level and tamping level, easier to arrange to horizontals mentally. Lastly, are you "tapping" the portafilter after tamping? this will cause channeling often and inconsistency is a result? On the same note,  careful that you aren't bumping the carefully packed portafilter against the machine lugs on insert?

Are you current blades sharp? Dull blades could be the issue? Is your hopper relatively full? Bean hop could be your issue with a near empty hopper? Is your tamping consistent in weight and level? try bending your knees and using body weight, pushing down is a gross motor skill not fine, and incredibly inconsistent. Also the level, of the tamping, try holding the portafilter level and tamping level, easier to arrange to horizontals mentally. Lastly, are you "tapping" the portafilter after tamping? this will cause channeling often and inconsistency is a result? On the same note,  careful that you aren't bumping the carefully packed portafilter against the machine lugs on insert?

My burrs on my Mazzer are super dull, but, i still get consistent grind.

The triple basket however is another story! 

Lob those beans away - they make good fertiliser.... cheap fertiliser too... they are OLD and STALE - and they taste **** - and taste worse as they get older.

Come spend an hour with me - and we can talk it through - and you can play on my Linea - with free coffee and milk

It's unlikely to be a major defect in your technique - just stick to the basics and be patient, and focus on 1 thing at a time - you can't adjust 5 variables at the same time and not confuse yourself - setting up a new machine is tricky.

Lob those beans away - they make good fertiliser.... cheap fertiliser too... they are OLD and STALE - and they taste **** - and taste worse as they get older.

Come spend an hour with me - and we can talk it through - and you can play on my Linea - with free coffee and milk

It's unlikely to be a major defect in your technique - just stick to the basics and be patient, and focus on 1 thing at a time - you can't adjust 5 variables at the same time and not confuse yourself - setting up a new machine is tricky.

See you on Friday. [emoji12]

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk

See you on Friday. [emoji12]

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk

What time we meeting at "The Office"? 

hahahaha

Deal. I am teaching on Thursday and Shooting tomorrow. I can make Friday this week or if thats not good how about next week? So far just Monday and Thursday booked. I have many many questions but mostly I would like you to give me a really good espresso so I know what I am aiming for, if that makes any sense.

I am a creature of routine and agree that too many variables at the moment. I was doing well over the weekend but that was just good fortune. 

Thanks everyone for all the advice. I listen to it all. 

Burrs are sharp. I may be bumping the portafilter on insertion. Never thought of that, clever. I'm very careful not to bump after tamping but I bet I'm clumsy inserting.  Im super careful with the level of tamping. Cant guarantee with the weight though. I have given up on those woolies beans. Ordered from Greenbean Coffee Roasters. A Cameroonian bean I never had before. Looking forward to that. Another variable. "sigh" Oh well. single origin African beans is something I just love. Discovering all there different flavours.  

Is this a golf or coffee making lesson?

Is this a golf or coffee making lesson?

Coffee with friends - I don't do lessons.... :)

Especially not golf lessons normally.. don't want hackers to beat me...