Coffee machine

Sooooo, its not Friday yet but what the take on this?

https://www.bikehub.co.za/classifieds/267490-true-start-performance-coffee/

:ph34r:

a - I don't believe coffee is that inconsistent in it's caffeine levels as they claim

b - what exact chemical process are they applying to make the caffeine level consistent???

c - they don't seem to know that changing brew methods can have considerable impact on caffeine levels - mostly because of it's solubility level (longer you brew it the more you get pretty much)

So - drink it if you like the taste - otherwise drink something that you do like the taste of.... the rest is pretty much smoke and mirrors in my opinion.

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

@AlanD, by no means is the Nespresso a great cup of coffee, however it beats instant coffee by miles IMO. I own a Nespresso machine, and probably have one every other day. I mix it up with the use of a french press. Taste and consistency the French takes the cake every time!! However convenience wise the Nespresso takes the prize everytime!! So for me it depends on my schedule which one I'll have.

Are you still located in the UK or back in SA?

UK, have a look at this post: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/food-and-drink/features/britains-30-best-coffee-shops/

SA: Loads of suppliers here so we'll need a bit more info regarding where in SA.

The UK....permanently.

This is what i have decided to do: i have one those french press things and my wife says we have a milk frother (will need to check when our container arrives) and a coffee grinder although intead the one we have is more of a spice grider, the one with blades so might get a proper coffee only one.

Then try my hand at the french press thing and practice a bit to get a superb cuppa and judge how much work it is and if i am happy to do that for a great cuppa. If i loather it then a manual machine may not be the answer and perhaps the Nespresso is back in the picture although i really dont think is a great cup of coffee.

Can you make an expresso with the french press?

The UK....permanently.

This is what i have decided to do: i have one those french press things and my wife says we have a milk frother (will need to check when our container arrives) and a coffee grinder although intead the one we have is more of a spice grider, the one with blades so might get a proper coffee only one.

Then try my hand at the french press thing and practice a bit to get a superb cuppa and judge how much work it is and if i am happy to do that for a great cuppa. If i loather it then a manual machine may not be the answer and perhaps the Nespresso is back in the picture although i really dont think is a great cup of coffee.

Can you make an expresso with the french press?

No espresso from a French press... not ever... French press has the worst mouthfeel if any brewing method imo - no normal filter stops the fine coffee grinds landing up in the cup.

An aeropress will give a reasonable approximation of espresso - but it's not the same thing.

Various sources. Perhaps other can chip in here. Stay away from Woolies, never tried checkers, be surprised if its fresh. I order from Green Bean Roastery and they courier to me. African single origin is sort of my thing and it's what they do.

I need to confess, I use Woolies beans all the time, so when I read this I assumed it was a coffee snob comment  :ph34r: . So I emailed Lee from The Green Bean Roastery and asked for a suggestion. I ordered Ethiopian beans.

I don't have the fanciest machine, but from the first shot, I realized there is a big difference in taste. The espresso looks more like chocolate and caramel than coffee!

Have to agree with Happy Martin. The Green Bean Roastery offers a great product.

Thanks for showing me way to better coffee!

post-47220-0-69492400-1505469114_thumb.jpg

a - I don't believe coffee is that inconsistent in it's caffeine levels as they claim

b - what exact chemical process are they applying to make the caffeine level consistent???

c - they don't seem to know that changing brew methods can have considerable impact on caffeine levels - mostly because of it's solubility level (longer you brew it the more you get pretty much)

So - drink it if you like the taste - otherwise drink something that you do like the taste of.... the rest is pretty much smoke and mirrors in my opinion.

I posted it and then forgot about it! 

You pretty much summed up what I was thinking. Also the price had me giggling a bit, Im sure someone will go for it though.

I need to confess, I use Woolies beans all the time, so when I read this I assumed it was a coffee snob comment  :ph34r: . So I emailed Lee from The Green Bean Roastery and asked for a suggestion. I ordered Ethiopian beans.

I don't have the fanciest machine, but from the first shot, I realized there is a big difference in taste. The espresso looks more like chocolate and caramel than coffee!

Have to agree with Happy Martin. The Green Bean Roastery offers a great product.

Thanks for showing me way to better coffee!

Where did you get it from?

EDIT: Looking on their site now. Did you get it delivered?

Edited by Long Wheel Base

What are the most common tamper diameters? From what I can see they are 58mm, 55mm, 53mm, and 51mm. What material would be preferable? Stainless steel or aluminium?

Thinking about making a few flat bottom tampers. Got my hands on some Tamboti that I could use for the handles.

Would anybody be interested in something like that?

What are the most common tamper diameters? From what I can see they are 58mm, 55mm, 53mm, and 51mm. What material would be preferable? Stainless steel or aluminium?

Thinking about making a few flat bottom tampers. Got my hands on some Tamboti that I could use for the handles.

Not sure why I never made one myself, now that I think of it. 

Those Tamboti handles could make it a really nice looking tamper.

58.2 odd.... the precision baskets  I use are slightly bigger than 58 - would have to mike it to be sure

I might be interested in a tight fitting one.

Ok cool. Will do a drawing to get some sizes and get some material and make one you can test.

Just waiting for a gear for my lathe. Broke a tooth and getting a replacement made. I'll let you knoww when it's done.

I have a 58.4 tamper which I use with my triple VST baskets - fits pretty nice and snug - could even be a tiny bit wider.

58.2 odd.... the precision baskets  I use are slightly bigger than 58 - would have to mike it to be sure

I might be interested in a tight fitting one.

I have a 58.4 tamper which I use with my triple VST baskets - fits pretty nice and snug - could even be a tiny bit wider.

I will try and get a proper measurement set done later this weekend on my lm strada baskets (made by vst) the height of the flat edge is also important

I will try and get a proper measurement set done later this weekend on my lm strada baskets (made by vst) the height of the flat edge is also important

If you could give me the critical measurements that would work best I would be happy to machine one up for you to test. Most of the online stuff talks about 1mm clearance between tamper and basket with a 1mm radius on the edge.