Coffee machine

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My Oscar is nearly 10 years old, before I got it, it worked in a Coffee shop, and I use it multiple times a day.

It needs a service and some attention now, as it struggles to keep pressure when pulling a shot through fine ground beans. I can't wait for it to be 100s again. Just need to make a plan to get it to the service shop in Montague Gardens.

Hello

I picked up my parent's old Gaggia Classic Max over the holidays but it seems like it needs a bit of love. Any idea where i could take it for a service/clean? Thanks in advance

You seem to be right round the corner from Equipment Cafe. They should be able to assist, but leave your credit card at home when you go there......

www,equipmentcafe.co.za

im sick of my Nespresso, i use 3 pods to make 1 cup of coffee, just to get some flavour - and im talking about the 9+ rated pods...

so i heard a little birdie my sister is getting me this for my birthday in 2 weeks time...

https://www.yuppiechef.com/mellerware.htm?id=36073&name=Mellerware-Trento-850W-Espresso-Coffee-Maker&vid=74143&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI5rOHv8OC5wIVC7TtCh1_CgJ5EAQYASABEgK5DfD_BwE

I think that'll do nicely, its only for me really and i dont mind grinding some beans to make a decent cup of give-me-a-personality. The filter machine just isn't predictable enough I feel.

Edited by gemmerbal

Will check them out. Thanks

You seem to be right round the corner from Equipment Cafe. They should be able to assist, but leave your credit card at home when you go there......

www,equipmentcafe.co.za

Hello

I picked up my parent's old Gaggia Classic Max over the holidays but it seems like it needs a bit of love. Any idea where i could take it for a service/clean? Thanks in advance

Probably needs a proper strip down. The agents for Gaggia in CT are in the Foundry Centre in Green Point. Got seals from them when I rebuilt my 80's Gaggia Coffee. Did the work myself though, got it freshly powder coated and all.

Hello

Do it yourself - there is an active Gaggia group on the web and all the information you need is available on how to strip, clean and descale that - will save you a lot of money and time - should take no more than 2 hours for a beginner - about an hour for someone who has done a similar machine before.

im sick of my Nespresso, i use 3 pods to make 1 cup of coffee, just to get some flavour - and im talking about the 9+ rated pods...

so i heard a little birdie my sister is getting me this for my birthday in 2 weeks time...

https://www.yuppiechef.com/mellerware.htm?id=36073&name=Mellerware-Trento-850W-Espresso-Coffee-Maker&vid=74143&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI5rOHv8OC5wIVC7TtCh1_CgJ5EAQYASABEgK5DfD_BwE

I think that'll do nicely, its only for me really and i dont mind grinding some beans to make a decent cup of give-me-a-personality. The filter machine just isn't predictable enough I feel.

You would be better off with one of these imho:

https://www.yuppiechef.com/bialetti-coffee.htm?id=1262&name=Bialetti-Venus-Espresso-Maker

Won't steam milk at all - but will deliver strong - remember the cup sizes are for espresso cups - so don't buy a 2 cup - 6 or 10 at least for 2 strong mugs - perhaps 3.

Also works pretty well with pre-ground coffee.

I have a basically new Aeropress (including the original accessories), a Hario Ceramic Coffee Mill Skerton (original not plus) and an Able Brewing fine stainless steel reusable filter. I am not using them and so I wondered if anyone reading this thread would like to buy them from me. I'm located near Northcliff.

Drop me a PM if you're interested.

post-77769-0-17583900-1579451038_thumb.jpg

post-77769-0-45633700-1579451044_thumb.jpg

post-77769-0-83495600-1579451052_thumb.jpg

Edited by SpruitCommuter

You would be better off with one of these imho:

https://www.yuppiechef.com/bialetti-coffee.htm?id=1262&name=Bialetti-Venus-Espresso-Maker

Won't steam milk at all - but will deliver strong - remember the cup sizes are for espresso cups - so don't buy a 2 cup - 6 or 10 at least for 2 strong mugs - perhaps 3.

Also works pretty well with pre-ground coffee.

Any ideas on something like this

https://www.home.co.za/pdp/delonghi-dedica-pump-espresso/_/A-154001AABE9

Already have an aeropress and a chemex with a porlex mini hand grinder, looking to potentially add espresso to the mix.

Any ideas on something like this

https://www.home.co.za/pdp/delonghi-dedica-pump-espresso/_/A-154001AABE9

Already have an aeropress and a chemex with a porlex mini hand grinder, looking to potentially add espresso to the mix.

How high is your tolerance for frustration? they are so difficult to use because they are not temperature stable - and many of them deliver 15 bar pressure when you want 9 because they are too cheap to have a pressure reducing mechanism.

So you land up chasing your tail trying to deliver consistent.... rather save a lot more and buy a good machine - will save you pain - and much cursing after you discover how much easier it is to use a decent machine

How high is your tolerance for frustration? they are so difficult to use because they are not temperature stable - and many of them deliver 15 bar pressure when you want 9 because they are too cheap to have a pressure reducing mechanism.

So you land up chasing your tail trying to deliver consistent.... rather save a lot more and buy a good machine - will save you pain - and much cursing after you discover how much easier it is to use a decent machine

What would you suggest as a decent machine ?

That's a big deep rabbit hole to go down considering that a decent grinder is also required and then there are all the accessories.

A friend wants to buy her husband a 'decent' machine for his 50th and is considering the Rancilo Silvia (5 or 6), but didn't realise that he will still need a tamper (for the V5) and then should probably get a mat and then maybe a knock box and then possibly a frothing jug (or two).

He likes his coffee, so would quite quickly realise that shop ground coffee isn't that great, so a grinder would have to be bought.

I geeked out and did an intro barista course, and then had to get a scale/timer and measuring cup.

Its a bit like buying a bike, and then realising that you still need pedals, shoes, helmet and shorts. And then gloves, glasses and a jersey. And then you want a cycling computer, which becomes a Garmin etc

I would honestly look at this, https://www.home.co.za/pdp/breville-barista-express/_/A-334002AAAA1, might have to put my flame suite on now but from what I have experienced with this machine it’s a no brained, really an underrated brand. I even considered “downgrading” to this when I discovered that my new kitchen didn’t have space for my San Marco.

Grinder works well and produces decent results and the espresso result is damned close to a 9 bar machine! You would be killing 2 birds with one stone as it is grinder and coffee maker, sorry 3 birds as it a decent frother! Plus it’s 5k cheaper then that delonghi, check out the the review on google.

It also a very customizable machine as you can easily change the grind and shot timing, even do a pre infusing if you choose. I normally only work with industrial machines ( Wega and San Marco ) but was very impressed with this