Coffee machine

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone with some advice on a Rancilio Silvia. My porta filter doesn’t lock all the way to the center. It’s been like this from the start but recently it started bugging me.

Could the baskets that come with it be too thick?

Yeah I saw the Porlex mentioned earlier in this thread but I see it's around R2k which is more than I have to spend

Too lazy to read through 6000+ posts above - anyone here roasting their own beans?

I’ve been using an air popcorn machine and it works great but you need patience as you can only do ~ 2 tablespoons at a time. Easy to control otherwise

Any other tips or ways of roasting other than in a pan?

Anyone with some advice on a Rancilio Silvia. My porta filter doesn’t lock all the way to the center. It’s been like this from the start but recently it started bugging me.

Could the baskets that come with it be too thick?

Mine goes through patches of lining up and other times it stops a bit to the left.

It may depend on how clean the group head and portafilter interface is.

Too lazy to read through 6000+ posts above - anyone here roasting their own beans?

I’ve been using an air popcorn machine and it works great but you need patience as you can only do ~ 2 tablespoons at a time. Easy to control otherwise

Any other tips or ways of roasting other than in a pan?

I used to use a modified popcorn popper - worked great! 

Now have a Gene cafe for Sample roasting, really great little home roaster! 

I was eying one of those a while back. They were about R10k, couldn't at that stage. But apparently they're decent. What did you do to the popcorn machine? We have one that we don't use.

I was eying one of those a while back. They were about R10k, couldn't at that stage. But apparently they're decent. What did you do to the popcorn machine? We have one that we don't use.

On my popper you bridge the fan so it runs all the time and only the heating element is cycled with the switch. With this and a temp probe from my multi meter I was able to produce repeatable roasts!

On my popper you bridge the fan so it runs all the time and only the heating element is cycled with the switch. With this and a temp probe from my multi meter I was able to produce repeatable roasts!

Okay! Thanks, a bit too techie for me I'm afraid!

we use a high end breville at home. The breville oracle. It is amazing.

I have been through plenty coffee machines. This one wins every time.

If I may ask where did you manage to find a Oracle ?

Yeah I saw the Porlex mentioned earlier in this thread but I see it's around R2k which is more than I have to spend

I have a Porlex. Generally pretty happy with it but at R2k it has a problem.... This

https://capecoffeebeans.co.za/collections/coffee-grinders/products/timemore-chestnut-c1-manual-coffee-grinder

Edit: I'd I were buying now, I'd get that Hario grinder or the Timemore (over the Porlex) if I was feeling fancy, and I'd also get the big Chemex instead of the small one.

Edited by madbradd

Mine goes through patches of lining up and other times it stops a bit to the left.

It may depend on how clean the group head and portafilter interface is.

It’s clean. Feels like the rubber seal is too thick.

It’s about time to change it so I’ll order replacement parts for it at the end of the month and see if that fixes it.

Edited by Maxxis