Coffee machine

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow guys, your coffees are works of art!  :drool:

I reckon I am doing well, if I don't spill something along the way.

My ACME cups and saucers do help my flat whites look good though (thanks cadenceblur :thumbup: )

Someone please help. I can't get my coffee to take less than an hour and fifteen to make. 

How can I get this down to one hour?

Hi guys, I have been directed to this forum. I am new here and need some assistance.

I'm in the market for an expresso machine. I'm looking at the Rancillio Silvia. Any reviews on this machine? Also is the PID necessary? Currently I'm using a mokka pot. Would I manage an expresso machine? I dont want to spend so much money and then struggle to use it. Thanks in advance for the assistance.

I moved from a Bialetti with Nespresso frother to the Rancilio Silvia and matching Rocky grinder - I got them 2nd hand (both hardly used) and really enjoy the set-up.

I also did a 1 day barista course @ Truth: https://guildofcoffee.com/product/barista-introductory/

And then spent hours on Youtube watching, but there is no substitute for practice.

But you have to want to make coffee and enjoy the process/ritual each time. The results are rewarding.

As someone mentioned, there is 1 minute or two gap between pulling a shot and being able to froth milk - I imagine that's the same for most single boiler machines.

There are quite big price jumps when you start looking at heat exchange and the dual boiler machines. Most of those have PID's built in.

That minute or two can be used to clean around the machine, fill the milk jug, fill the water tank, empty the water tray etc, but put the coffee cups on the machine to stay warm. It's also useful to fill the cups with hot water before you start grinding etc.

As far as PID is concerned - I reckon it depends on how many coffees you make at a time. I do 2 for my wife and I, and I think its OK.

If I was pulling several shots in a row each time, then a PID would be very useful. But at about R5k, it's not exactly pocket change...

post-615-0-72987500-1595327507_thumb.jpg

MTB more

Exactly. Life's to short to spend it wasting time making a coffee that tastes marginally better if at all. Had some horrible tasting barista grade coffee way to many times (MY OPINION)

Well while your brandishing that wide brush that you are using to generalize the coffee drinking crowd, please allow me the opportunity to paint you with it :

If you really believe that monologue you posted, then you are slap bang in the middle of the bean-to-cup target market. Because your prejudice and pallet will not be able to get you away from average but acceptable coffee.

I'm yet to taste a BTC that I will describe as anything better than "nice." And I'm definitely not in the 0.00000001 of the population as described by you. But I also don't rate my coffee equipment on Price vs Value vs Time like you do. And I'm not jobless either.

You are like the guy that says "koop met 'n specialized epic" every time someone asks for advice on buying a mountain bike. Even if they want a trail Bike, or enduro bike.

Spez is soos Scott... Elke avg Joe het een en nie een van hulle groet jou op die pad nie. I'll ride a Makro special 24" as long as I get to ride. Does the 180k bike make you better than the 15k bike. Maybe in your own head to justify the spend but it Depends on your fitness, endurance and leg strength and no fancy or expensive bike gives you that for free. The bike is but a tool to get you from A to B and YES certain bikes are better suite to do specific things.

You're right, it's all opinions, but then be open to new or different ones as well. This thread is not exactly 386 pages dedicated to plebs discussing whether Nescafe gold is good coffee now is it?

It is. As per the tread title though its about Coffee machines and not who is the best barista though even though it can qualify as a sub class i presume and still relevant to the topic. MY OPINION is that I have had many coffees across vast parts of the country and have had horrible experiences as well as good ones. FOR ME my machine with my coffee bean of choice is consistently giving me the same enjoyment with minimal effort, time spent and cost efficiency very very VERY consistently.

Can I get a coffee that tastes better. Sure. Can it taste great for some and not others. Sure. Am I open to sit down and pay R30 odd for a proper coffee. Sure

Edited by MTB-More

We buy Deluxe Coffee beans at R200 for a kg bag ... :eek:

572 cups .... Our little machine will push that out (Just the wife and I) in 3 months max ... :ph34r:

I support a local (Hubber) and another coffee shop. Both can get me close to what I want: the freshest beans with every order. I order every two weeks, so will only buy according to my usage at home. The price I pay is acceptable, to me.

Early on in level 5 lockdown, I ran out of fresh beans. I bought a 250g pack at the local Spar (roast date in January). I could immediately taste the difference (stale beans that were 2.5 months old).

(1. At that rate the only reason for not buying by the kilo is because you need to lug it around the mountain in your backpack.)

(2. It's terrible, my wife has become a coffee slut, she'll put any coffee in her mouth. Lately she prefers those cappuccino sachets), so I'm the only one drinking at home, so it's about 250g a week. (3. Fortunately Somerset West has a plethora of roasters around, so I'm on freshly roasted beans every week.)

1. Meezo does not have the power to ride over the mountain with a kg bag of beans. Word on the street has it that he splits the bag in two and has to take it home over two days. His only chance of getting a whole kg bag home is to ask @babse very nicely to put it in his back pack for the ride over the mountain.
  2. A good many years ago we were on the way to do the Trans Baviaans. We stopped at Ronnies Sex Shop for a coffee. There was a lady walking around with a "cappuccino" calling to try and find the person who ordered it. I offered to take it off her hands. She in turn, and with the utmost dignity said "come with me and I will make you a fresh one". I think to myself this is a win. She proceeds to open a sachet of this stuff, pour it into the cup with some boiling hot water and stir vigorously .... it was horrid and it burnt my mouth, but she really did try.
  3. If memory serves there is a Deluxe in Dorp Straat in Stellies.  

I support a local (Hubber) and another coffee shop. Both can get me close to what I want: the freshest beans with every order. I order every two weeks, so will only buy according to my usage at home. The price I pay is acceptable, to me.

Early on in level 5 lockdown, I ran out of fresh beans. I bought a 250g pack at the local Spar (roast date in January). I could immediately taste the difference (stale beans that were 2.5 months old).

a kg does not last us long :)

Spez is soos Scott... Elke avg Joe het een en nie een van hulle groet jou op die pad nie. I'll ride a Makro special 24" as long as I get to ride. Does the 180k bike make you better than the 15k bike. Maybe in you own head to justify the spend but it Depends on your fitness, endurance and leg strength and no fancy or expensive bike gives you that for free. The bike is but a tool to get you from A to B and YES certain bikes are better suite to do specific things

I would rather buy a old rusty 26'er second hand than buy a new makro bike .. my opinion.

I would rather buy a old rusty 26'er second hand than buy a new makro bike .. my opinion.

Ja i'll ride anything as long as its not a Scott or Spez. I'm not cool enough for that crowd :P

I am a BTC kinda guy, I prefer better than instant or pod coffee but I am too lazy for a proper machine.

There is also bean to cup coffee, and bean to cup coffee. With the wrong settings you may as well be drinking Ricoffee...

At least now working from home has meant that there is a reason to really strengthen up the coffee game. 

As far as PID is concerned - I reckon it depends on how many coffees you make at a time. I do 2 for my wife and I, and I think its OK.

If I was pulling several shots in a row each time, then a PID would be very useful. But at about R5k, it's not exactly pocket change...

A PID won't speed up the process at all (not sure if that is what you are saying), it will just help with consistency. My 2c, if you want an awesome cup of coffee every time - get the PID, if you want an awesome cup of coffee and you want to pump out a few in a row - get a double boiler. 

But I agree, PIDs have become super pricey. So much so that I don't think I will invest in one for my Silvia, I am going to put the money away for a double boiler machine that tackles the speed and consistency issue in one go. 

A PID won't speed up the process at all (not sure if that is what you are saying), it will just help with consistency. My 2c, if you want an awesome cup of coffee every time - get the PID, if you want an awesome cup of coffee and you want to pump out a few in a row - get a double boiler. 

Ja, I was saying that consistency (or lack therof) isn't a problem for me for 2 flat whites at a time three times a day.

If I was doing 3 or more shots, then the PID would be useful.

I would assume that the double boiler you are looking at would have a PID built in - without one, wouldn't you would still have the same temperature inconsistency problem?

You would of course be able to steam your milk immediately after pulling your shot though.

Sad day. Reduced to using the Chemex for the next few days while I wait for service parts to arrive for the Silvia. 

Descaled and cleaned the group head last night. Ordered a new filter screen and rubber seal. The existing one crumbled like cork. 

Hope fully the new seal sorts out my problem with the portafilter not locking 100% into position.