Coffee machine

Ja, I was saying that consistency (or lack therof) isn't a problem for me for 2 flat whites at a time three times a day.

If I was doing 3 or more shots, then the PID would be useful.

I would assume that the double boiler you are looking at would have a PID built in - without one, wouldn't you would still have the same temperature inconsistency problem?

You would of course be able to steam your milk immediately after pulling your shot though.

Don't have a particular one in mind because I don't have the cash for it now (or a real need tbh), but when I do replace, yes it will be one with a built in PID.

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sad day. Reduced to using the Chemex for the next few days while I wait for service parts to arrive for the Silvia. 

Descaled and cleaned the group head last night. Ordered a new filter screen and rubber seal. The existing one crumbled like cork. 

Hope fully the new seal sorts out my problem with the portafilter not locking 100% into position.

I will be there soon, my machine needs to go in for a service so it will have to be chemex or Turkish.

Sad day. Reduced to using the Chemex for the next few days while I wait for service parts to arrive for the Silvia. 

Descaled and cleaned the group head last night. Ordered a new filter screen and rubber seal. The existing one crumbled like cork. 

Hope fully the new seal sorts out my problem with the portafilter not locking 100% into position.

You you getting the filter screen with the recessed bolt?

The OCD side of my doesn't like the big hole in the puck

You you getting the filter screen with the recessed bolt?

The OCD side of my doesn't like the big hole in the puck

I'm not 100% sure if it is recessed. Looks like the standard one according to Cape Coffee Beans

Speaking of which anyone tried the delta press yet?

I have an aeropress. As I understand the inverted method will give you the same result?

I also use a metal filter as the paper filters would sometimes tear and let through granuals.

Looking to move up from my moka pot and hand grinder. I don't want bean to cup but also don't want something too technical. I just want a really good cup of coffee.

Anyone had any experience with onlinecoffeeshop.co.za? They have this combo deal

post-19421-0-82675000-1595394657_thumb.jpg

Is this worth spending money on?

The Rocket Appartmento looks very nice but is going to be way out of budget when I pair a grinder with it.

I've bought some stuff from them before with no issue, don't know much about that brand though. Think they popped up about +- 2 years ago

Have one of those lelit grinders... which i picked up second hand off scumtree.

Flawless so far. Does the job very swiftly.

Can't comment on the machine.

Looking to move up from my moka pot and hand grinder. I don't want bean to cup but also don't want something too technical. I just want a really good cup of coffee.

Anyone had any experience with onlinecoffeeshop.co.za? They have this combo deal

attachicon.gifScreenshot_20200722-065949_Chrome.jpg

The Rocket Appartmento looks very nice but is going to be way out of budget when I pair a grinder with it.

Can't comment on the brand, but two things to consider....

The portafilter is 57mm, not 58mm. Small difference, but that means you won't be able to buy aftermarket baskets, and portafilters should you want to. Well, your choices will be much more limited than if you had a 58mm size.

The boiler is very small, only 250ml.... which means that steamer may run out of steam (pun intended) quite quickly if you are making 2 lattes in a row. 

On the upside, this is a good price for a machine with a built in PID, which is very nice.

My money however would be spent at Cape Coffee Beans on a Rancillio Silvia with PID paired with a Rocky grinder. Don't know the exact price, but it will be slightly more - shouldn't be by much.

Edited by Grease_Monkey

attachicon.gifScreenshot_20200722-065949_Chrome.jpg

That combo looks like it ticks several boxes and seems good value for money, but as Grease Monkey points out, it also falls short on a few important criteria (that 57mm porta filter will also limit your choice of tamper).

If they are waiting for stock from overseas, that end of July date may not be met.

I also suggest the Rancilio Silvia (mainly because I have one....), but it is slightly more expensive.

Cape Coffee Beans are great to deal with and they have stock. Except for the PID.

If you only make one or two coffees at a time, no PID isn't a deal breaker. It becomes useful when you do several coffees in a row.

https://capecoffeebeans.co.za/collections/rancilio

Of course, shooting for the stars and getting a Rocket is  :wub:

Edited by splat

If any of you perverts need a beast, I have this

My house is offgrid and this was a stupid idea  - my friend has a coffee shop and upgraded her machine.  I wanted to restore and paint this but instead it's been lying in my workshop for over a year.

It was serviced before retirement and apparently the auto portion of the one side isn't working

I am prepared to let someone take it and pay me a predetermined amount once you are 100 percent happy.  I don't want money until we know its working properly.  It's worked hard but is in decent nick.

If you are on an offshore rig and want to set up a coffee shop for your cousin, please don't bother

It weighs several tons and you'd need to get it from George

I have no idea on value so feel free to chime in 

post-81229-0-37079400-1595404249_thumb.jpg

If any of you perverts need a beast, I have this

My house is offgrid and this was a stupid idea  - my friend has a coffee shop and upgraded her machine.  I wanted to restore and paint this but instead it's been lying in my workshop for over a year.

It was serviced before retirement and apparently the auto portion of the one side isn't working

I am prepared to let someone take it and pay me a predetermined amount once you are 100 percent happy.  I don't want money until we know its working properly.  It's worked hard but is in decent nick.

If you are on an offshore rig and want to set up a coffee shop for your cousin, please don't bother

It weighs several tons and you'd need to get it from George

I have no idea on value so feel free to chime in 

It's not Bean to Cup so it's worth nothing.............

Thanks for the advice, onlinecoffeeshop.co.za has been good with their communication. After some discussions about what I want vs need. They recommend this Lelit MaraX and are willing to put together a nice bundle with a grinder and few extras.

post-19421-0-80779700-1595417118_thumb.jpg

A fair bit more expensive but still comes in cheaper than the Rocket Appartmento (wow this is a good looking machine though).