Coffee machine

Im selling my Jura z7 with the hope of buying a manual espresso machine.

Your wife will shoot you - just add an espresso machine to the mix.... and grinder....

Trust me on this.... :)

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just let me know, you are welcome to take it.

In return for some coffee :)

Pity the room does not provide a in-room kettle.... but 24x7 fresh coffee on demand in the lobby.

Went for a walk through the mall last night, seriously is the coffee capital of the world here, anything and everything you can think of for making, grinding, brewing, preparing, cleaning.....you get the idea.

But, not cheap at all, Moca pot, simple no frills 2 cup version for Rs169 (x 4.4 to get to our rubbish ZAR), small Breville I saw was Rs1990, one manual burr grinder I saw was Rs270.

Arrived homed to find this waiting

So! Jealous!

Nice one. Enjoy it!

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk

Arrived homed to find this waiting

and the grinder...??????

looks nice in black - very nice.

and the grinder...??????

looks nice in black - very nice.

I am still using the Simonelli MDX. I don't have the 20K to upgrade it and thats what it will take more or less. The Simonelli is around 15k at the moment so thats the budget for now. I know you recommend changing it and I will get to it. Im not sure how good or bad my current grinder is. It takes about 9s to grind 18g of beans. 

I am still going to hold you to your kind offer and will see you when its suitable for you to do so.

Got hung up on the start up because I didn't have a plug of all things. Eventually took one off an old drill. 

Don't think I will sleep tonight. Too much excitement and I suspect too much caffeine to come. Oh well. I am in there middle of a huge PS skills upgrade so that will keep me busy.

Happy days

I am still using the Simonelli MDX. I don't have the 20K to upgrade it and thats what it will take more or less. The Simonelli is around 15k at the moment so thats the budget for now. I know you recommend changing it and I will get to it. Im not sure how good or bad my current grinder is. It takes about 9s to grind 18g of beans. 

I am still going to hold you to your kind offer and will see you when its suitable for you to do so.

Got hung up on the start up because I didn't have a plug of all things. Eventually took one off an old drill. 

Don't think I will sleep tonight. Too much excitement and I suspect too much caffeine to come. Oh well. I am in there middle of a huge PS skills upgrade so that will keep me busy.

Happy days

Be warned - over caffeination turns ugly quickly.... sip spit sip spit....

This is the voice of hard experience speaking...... very hard....

Be warned - over caffeination turns ugly quickly.... sip spit sip spit....

This is the voice of hard experience speaking...... very hard....

+1 on that. Also learned the hard way when I got grinder and machine together and was trying out what seemed like 100's of combinations...

Yep. Thats what I am doing. Making single shots and taking a few sips then dumping it. I have set my grinder way finer. I am keen to try the steamer at some point. 

Yep. Thats what I am doing. Making single shots and taking a few sips then dumping it. I have set my grinder way finer. I am keen to try the steamer at some point. 

Try clearing your palette with soda/sparkling water between shots - minimises taste confusion/contamination between shots

I can never seem to get singles right - much easier with double shots.

What baskets did that machine come with? VST/Strada or standard ones?

Try clearing your palette with soda/sparkling water between shots - minimises taste confusion/contamination between shots

I can never seem to get singles right - much easier with double shots.

What baskets did that machine come with? VST/Strada or standard ones?

I think they are VST. As far as I can tell. Very fine precision holes. Look quite different to the ones I am used to. Very smooth basket inside. Does that make sense? Came wit 21g, 17g, 14g and 7g.

Oy so much to learn.

I think they are VST. As far as I can tell. Very fine precision holes. Look quite different to the ones I am used to. Very smooth basket inside. Does that make sense? Came wit 21g, 17g, 14g and 7g.

Oy so much to learn.

Mine have strada laser etched on the side as well as the weights - they are really specific for best results - I am dosing 17g baskets at 18g give or take a fraction. Once you get the weight in the correct range they work well - but a small amount off and they are a bit finnicky

Art is another thing. Managed to stuff up my first attempt at steaming. I could nail it with Photoshop and a wacom no problem.

Need to be able to get it right before the GF comes home from the Northern Cape. She likes the hearts. I tend to be a bit traditional and will drink a cappuccino at breakfast then go for espressos the rest of the day. 

The machine is lovely. Quiet and solid. I think we will be friends.

Mine have strada laser etched on the side as well as the weights - they are really specific for best results - I am dosing 17g baskets at 18g give or take a fraction. Once you get the weight in the correct range they work well - but a small amount off and they are a bit finnicky

I bought a waterproof Barista scale and I'm very specific with weights. I weigh the extraction and time it. Weigh the beans as well. A left over from my days of chemical based photography or just a personality trait.

Edited by HappyMartin

Done a bit of research on the basket thing. I have read that LM baskets are the same as the VST. I didn't know about this issue but I noticed how different the baskets are that came with this machine. I will start dosing as per the weight etched on the basket from now on. I was using 18g so now just a gram down. I can now say that with the 1g saving the machine will pay for itself in about a levinty million and thirty eight years.