Coffee machine

• Replies 7.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What would you suggest as a decent machine ?

That's a big deep rabbit hole to go down considering that a decent grinder is also required and then there are all the accessories.

A friend wants to buy her husband a 'decent' machine for his 50th and is considering the Rancilo Silvia (5 or 6), but didn't realise that he will still need a tamper (for the V5) and then should probably get a mat and then maybe a knock box and then possibly a frothing jug (or two).

He likes his coffee, so would quite quickly realise that shop ground coffee isn't that great, so a grinder would have to be bought.

I geeked out and did an intro barista course, and then had to get a scale/timer and measuring cup.

Its a bit like buying a bike, and then realising that you still need pedals, shoes, helmet and shorts. And then gloves, glasses and a jersey. And then you want a cycling computer, which becomes a Garmin etc

This sounds cool. Got details for me?

I would honestly look at this, https://www.home.co.za/pdp/breville-barista-express/_/A-334002AAAA1, might have to put my flame suite on now but from what I have experienced with this machine it’s a no brained, really an underrated brand. I even considered “downgrading” to this when I discovered that my new kitchen didn’t have space for my San Marco.

Grinder works well and produces decent results and the espresso result is damned close to a 9 bar machine! You would be killing 2 birds with one stone as it is grinder and coffee maker, sorry 3 birds as it a decent frother! Plus it’s 5k cheaper then that delonghi, check out the the review on google.

It also a very customizable machine as you can easily change the grind and shot timing, even do a pre infusing if you choose. I normally only work with industrial machines ( Wega and San Marco ) but was very impressed with this

Have to agree. I've had my Breville machine for over 5 yrs now. Suits my needs perfectly and makes a great espresso when using a good bean. (Green Bean in Muldersdrift = highly recommended).

Works well for making 1 or two espressos at a time. Is a bit slow or maybe less consistent if trying to churn out more that 2 in a hurry, but can be done fairly comfortably.

Always wanted an industrial machine at home after working with one in a high traffic coffee shop in London nearly 20yrs ago.

The Breville isn't the industrial machine I dreamt of but doesn't consume a lot of space, requires little maintenance, makes a superb cuppa and allows me to tinker a little and taste beans from all over. It's also affordable. Only bugger is I now seldom enjoy the coffee I get from coffee shops.

What would you suggest as a decent machine ?

That's a big deep rabbit hole to go down considering that a decent grinder is also required and then there are all the accessories.

A friend wants to buy her husband a 'decent' machine for his 50th and is considering the Rancilo Silvia (5 or 6), but didn't realise that he will still need a tamper (for the V5) and then should probably get a mat and then maybe a knock box and then possibly a frothing jug (or two).

He likes his coffee, so would quite quickly realise that shop ground coffee isn't that great, so a grinder would have to be bought.

I geeked out and did an intro barista course, and then had to get a scale/timer and measuring cup.

Its a bit like buying a bike, and then realising that you still need pedals, shoes, helmet and shorts. And then gloves, glasses and a jersey. And then you want a cycling computer, which becomes a Garmin etc

And then..... you need WIFE approval too......

Personally I never recommend that people buy full on espresso machines as presents... Bean to cup machines - yes - they are in lots of ways more functional for the "average" person - so my opinion is that she should rather buy him a Jura something or other than a Sylvia - this will never be wasted.

Then he can buy his own machine if he gets into it - as time and budget allow.

Hello

I picked up my parent's old Gaggia Classic Max over the holidays but it seems like it needs a bit of love. Any idea where i could take it for a service/clean? Thanks in advance

contact nexus food service they are the agents 

Jeez that is a stunning machine energiaMTB

Thanks Monark, really is a pleasure to use. Honestly it is the most painful item I have to leave behind. Bikes are fortunately coming along [emoji6]

Reluctantly considering the selling of my espresso machine (La Marzocco Linea Mini) and grinder (old Mazzer Super Jolly with ssp burrs installed), immigrating to 110V country.

DM me if interested (some pretty nice high end stuff):

attachicon.gifLM_1_reducedSize.jpg

attachicon.gifLM_2_reducedSize.jpg

attachicon.gifSSP_reducedSize.jpg

Have you thought about buying a step up transformer?

https://voltage-converter-transformers.com/collections/step-up-down-voltage-transformer-converter

$20 and then you can take it with you