Best winter jackets for SA

T-Bob

So what would be the choice for winter riding in SA be? I'm guessing a nice soft shell style / windstopper with a single layer under?

I know there will be a lot hubbers who will go for Assos with out a doubt but I'm interested in the rest. We know the Assos are top notch but the prices are through the roof.

I've had the Giordana Silverline & Castelli and think it's a great jacket but there are all the rest like Endura, Craft, Lusso, Pearl Izz, Polaris, Biemme and the like.

Just wondering what positive (or not so positive) experiences people have had.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I went the whole winter last year with only arm warmers and a wind jammer. In the past I used to wear a lot more but after 5min on the bike it just gets to hot so I stick with one the arm wamers and the Capestorm wind jammer

A good base layer is important.

Also, get a proper rain jacket and do not substitute this with a wind breaker / jammer. It's not the same.

LIke a shell type... a thin, packable rain jacket?

I usually run with my burton snowboarding 1st layering system as they are super effective and never left me down on (of off) the slopes or on the saddle

I have a couple Pearl Izumi Elite Barrier Convertible jackets and a Louis Garneau one similair to the PI, and so far it's been sufficiently warm. And I get cold very easily.

I have a couple Pearl Izumi Elite Barrier Convertible jackets and a Louis Garneau one similair to the PI, and so far it's been sufficiently warm. And I get cold very easily.

Are the Elite Barriers insulated (aka furry) or is it more of a shell. I found one for about R500 but the description is pretty vague and could really work out the use.

Are the Elite Barriers insulated (aka furry) or is it more of a shell. I found one for about R500 but the description is pretty vague and could really work out the use.

It's a shell, and you can remove the arms. If it's really cold I wear a long sleeve cycling shirt under it. And if you start getting too toasty then you just remove the sleeves.

I would LOVE to get my hands on Assos but alas.....

Riding with a Rudy Project jacket works well. They don't have stock anymore though.

Will be looking at other options this winter....

I HATE the cold! :thumbdown:

• 8 years later...

I'm a little bit of a princess when it comes to winter. I much prefer it to summer riding though but still. I get cold really easy. 

For example on Saturday I was riding with two long sleeve tops and I was just about comfy in 19 degree weather. 

So for this coming winter (I suspect a slightly cold one) I was thinking of adding https://gravelandtour.co.za/product/core-merino-mens-waterproof-soft-shell-jacket/

Has anyone used this before? It will be on and off the bike though. 

Gauteng is a dry cold though so I have no idea what to get.

Endura Xtract roubaix l/s jersey is very good. Cycle lab used to stock.

Base Layer, Endura and perhaps a gilet and the cradle is a happier place in winter.

19°C is short sleeve weather #justsaying

For the days when the temperature starts off at (above) 7-12°C and gets up to mid-teens I prefer to wear thermal sleeves (Anatomic work for me), with a vest, shirt and gilet. Long finger gloves for the start and then I remove them if it gets toasty.

If it’s 7-14°C for most of the morning, I use a combination of thermal sleeves and a long shirt with long finger gloves.

Below 7°C I have a jacket from Bicycleline that is good enough for -5°C and warmer. Then I’ll usually wear thermal leggings too.