AM tyres... what you running?

patches

I don't know about compounds and snakeskin and any of that other stuff so you might get better advice from others.

My mate Nic raves about HD's so much he has them on his AM and DH bike. I'm not so sure myself.

I like them but I think a softer compound would go a long way.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Had 3 rides on the Reign with Nobby Nics - seem pressure sensitive and squirmy. The rear lost some air due to a loose tubeless valve and burped air - pumped yup form flat with a small hand pump tho. Grip is pretty good - leaning them over easier than the ignitors but some of this could b due to wide bars and deeper suspension. So far I'm not convinced but will wear them out before buying anything else...

On the HDs I dropped the pressure to 1.8 bar on the front and around 2.0 on the back. Made a welcome difference to the cornering.

Need to find a good balance still but its a lot better already. Also changed the rebound and compression on the fork a little which helped.

• 1 month later...

So been running 2.2 mountain kings for a couple months and railing corners, epic. Yesterday tore a big gat in my front tyre and popped on a 2.5 nevegal stick-e with tube which I had lying around as you do. Went out for a ride and front end kept washing out. They've still got good tread okay but pumped up to 2.5 whereas I was running mkings at 2. Has anyone else experienced this. 2.5 anything should grip more than 2.2

So been running 2.2 mountain kings for a couple months and railing corners, epic. Yesterday tore a big gat in my front tyre and popped on a 2.5 nevegal stick-e with tube which I had lying around as you do. Went out for a ride and front end kept washing out. They've still got good tread okay but pumped up to 2.5 whereas I was running mkings at 2. Has anyone else experienced this. 2.5 anything should grip more than 2.2

So far I'm happy with the Kenda Nevegal 2.2 , it's almost worn out so have to replace them at some stage or another .

You're running them too hard. Pure and simple. It's counter intuitive to run a bigger tire at a harder pressure when the advantage of a bigger tire is that you can run it at a lower pressure and benefit from the increased grip it offers.

Kenda Excavators 2.35 front and back, have I said that before? Just confirmed again this morning that they really stick in the wet, but they roll slowly, which is OK with me since I'm slow anyway. They're also dirt cheap compared to some of the others.

I've been playing around with tyres for a while and the combo that works best for me is a 2.35 Hans Damf on the front and a Conti Mountain king 2.2 Protektion out back. Rolls good and is predictable in the turns.

You're running them too hard. Pure and simple. It's counter intuitive to run a bigger tire at a harder pressure when the advantage of a bigger tire is that you can run it at a lower pressure and benefit from the increased grip it offers.

Ok so will try 1.8. Just worried about snake bites

I am on Nobby Nics front and back 29 x 2.2 (Snakeskin and Pace Star) and have been pretty impressed.

Yes, my AM bike is a 29er!!! (or maybe I just ride it like one)

Having run a MK 2.4 UST (F) / XK 2.4 UST ® on my Reign, I recon that the Nobby Nics are at least as grippy although I have some worries about robustness.

Tyre pressures 2.0bar (F) and 2.5 ® for rides that I expect to encounter rocks, or 1.9 (F) and 2.2 ® for smooth terrain.