AM tyres... what you running?

patches

Or as per cpt, the minions ... was looking at them this morning actually and they look rather rather nice with that supertacky feeling like you throw the tyre up against the ceiling and it would stick there!

I worry a bit about rolling resistance as I do tend to pedal up hill from time to time. Did a half marathon XC event this weekend on the moto and it was way more pleasant than I was expecting. I might end up doing more XC races with the Moto so I wouldnt want something to hectic.

Price is also a factor and at R370,00 the reason why the purgatory is on the top of the list. :whistling:

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm running a 2.3 purgatory (not s-works) & side walls is holding up well ( for now i guess).

The side walls are quite thin.

I suppose sharp rocks will cut through these easer than thicker side walls, but then again no tyre is fail-proof.

Isn't the 'armadillo' purgatory having a thicker sde wall?

Are they available in sa?

Yeah at R370 i was also willing to take the gamble.

I worry a bit about rolling resistance as I do tend to pedal up hill from time to time. Did a half marathon XC event this weekend on the moto and it was way more pleasant than I was expecting. I might end up doing more XC races with the Moto so I wouldnt want something to hectic.

Price is also a factor and at R370,00 the reason why the purgatory is on the top of the list. :whistling:

I have the control at the back of the MOTO at the moment and the sidewall is a little squirmy ..... I do think with the Grid sidewall (A thicker UST type) the Spesh Tyres should fair better yet.

With the thinner sidewalls I just feel uncomfortable at lower pressures when they squirm .... with a UST Nevegal or Ardent in LUST I am able to run lower pressures and have a more stable sidewall....so the Spaz in GRID format is high on my list of tyres to try.

The Spaz Control was on the front my Shova before and now as I say it is on the back of the MOTO and to date the sidewalls have worn very well from riding through rocky terrain.

Anyone had experience with these? Dont think I've seen them mentioned on this thread yet:

http://www.chainreac...ar/rp-prod63907

http://www.chainreac...in/rp-prod45451

http://www.chainreac...e/rp-prod109733

Muddy Mary is THE tyre to have. Wider application than Hans Dampf, and used all over teh DH circuit to boot.

Fat Albert is older tech, and precedes the Hans Dampf & Muddy Mary.

I just dunno about the Mavic, tbh.

Of the 3 - Muddy Mary. No doubt.

what are your guys opinions on the conti rubber queen? I am running a 2.4 up front and maxxis ardent 2.2 at the back

Loved the Rubber Queen I had on the front. Insane amounts of grip. More predictable than the Hans Dampf and grips like an overly attached girlfriend with abandonment issues.

Loved the Rubber Queen I had on the front. Insane amounts of grip. More predictable than the Hans Dampf and grips like an overly attached girlfriend with abandonment issues.

Sounds like you know my ex?!

Tried running her on the front once but there was a constant whinning noise!

Guest Omega Man

Sounds like you know my ex?!

Tried running her on the front once but there was a constant whinning noise!

Haha. You owe me a new keyboard.

+1 I have the Trail King 2.2 up front. Plenty of times when I thought this is it, but a little under steer and back you go.

The 2.2 is massive compared to even the MK 2.4.

Running a relatively worn out Nevegal 2.1 at the back and it's fine. Just fine :)

Wheres the best place to look for AM or bigger volume tires. All the bike shops seem to only stock 29er or 26 up to 2.1

Online?

Muddy Mary up front and Nobby Nic on the back in Winter.

Conti Mountain King2 in Summer.

How do you find the NNs in your winters? I find the NNs are seriously sketch in the wet, notably over wet roots and rocks. eeeeeek..

Edited by Capricorn

Wheres the best place to look for AM or bigger volume tires. All the bike shops seem to only stock 29er or 26 up to 2.1

Online?

Online yes , but if it showed in your profile where you are based the answer would have been easier .

Have any of you used the old version of the Conti MK?

post-31228-0-24074800-1380174497_thumb.jpg

I also have a Spesh Purgatory that I had on the front (which was awesome!) with a ghetto tubeless conversion which ended in a side wall cut +/- 10mm long, I would like to try and patch the cut and use the tyre with a tube, is this advisable?

If I can patch the Purg (26x2.2) I am thinking of running it on the front and the MK (26x2.4) on the back. Yes the purg is marked as a 2.2 but it seems the same width as the MK. Grip and rolling wise should I go Purg front and MK rear or the other way around?

Edited by Nofearnofun