Arrested today after buying Stolen Goods off The HUB

Stuart Queripel

I have always maintained that LOTS of stolen goods are sold on the Hub

It has nothing to do with with being a first time seller etc blah blah blah.

There are okes here who have been selling stolen goods for ages and are prob regarded as fine upstanding hubbers

I agree, its something I've been saying for ages as well.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes i have the bank transfer receipt, so i will use that to prove that i bought it from this chap in Pretoria. No naming and shaming yet as he recons he still has the box at home and still knows the customer that he bought it from... so lets see what this evening and tomorrow brings... Could be quiet embarrassing when the cops walk into his work tomorrow and arrest him....

Maybe the original seller is trying an insurance scam!

That's a bummer - nice to in good faith here, and for the most part its all good, but up to the buyer to make judgement call.

Just check: where / when did they get the goods, why are they selling?

Yeah it is a bummer this happened, but that is a chance one takes when buying somthing second hand. We have no idea wether it is stolen or not

Yes i have the bank transfer receipt, so i will use that to prove that i bought it from this chap in Pretoria. No naming and shaming yet as he recons he still has the box at home and still knows the customer that he bought it from... so lets see what this evening and tomorrow brings... Could be quiet embarrassing when the cops walk into his work tomorrow and arrest him....

Strange that he sold you a Garmin but not the box that it came in??.... as has been stated, seems like an insurance scam where he was going to use the box as proof to insurance .... am sure the story will unfold and as you said, you have the EFT transfer as proof

Edited by shaper

I am a moderator/administrator on the local Garmin forums, and you would be suprised how many people don't know that you can register your device online.

You also need to send a mail to Garmin reporting the theft of the unit, which will then be flagged as stolen.

Registering the device online won't necessarily stop it being being stolen, or even recovered.

Where it does help, is when the unit is taken in for a software upgrade, or mapset upgrade.

The techies at Garmin can then immediately see that the unit was registered to someone else, that it is stolen, and can set the ball rolling to get the SAPS involved.

Many (most) people that buy a GPS use it as a plug-and-play device, where they purchase the unit, install it in their vehicles, and drive around like that for years without once bothering to upgrade the Road Safety Data (camera warnings etc.) mapsets or software/firmware.

It happens occassionally that someone will register on the forum, and their first post will be something along the lines of "help my GPS was stolen. What now...."