What is your true motivation for cycling?

The_Break

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Fun, fitness, and personal goals. Nothing like the feeling of finishing a race, legs burning, exhausted from the sprint and with the medal around the neck. great feeling.

and helps to keep the stomach off, lol

stumuck in chest out

For me cycling is like that Orange Monkey in the Chicken Licken Hotwings ad...I will be totally race-babbelaas - then the next day watch a bit of Le Tour and suddenly feel a restless twitch in the legs that says "let's go bike..".

Suppose it's my Opium...

To TRY to beat them pesky housewives and primary school kids and keep ahead of Scotty nothing more nothing less ;)

I really love riding a bike (any bike) but I also love the 'tinkering' and upgrading and trying different/new stuff :thumbup: - have also met some amazing people that have become really good friends, many of them hubbers :clap:

At the end of this month it will be a year ago since I started cycling at age 43.

Started because my daughter aged 11 wanted a bicycle.Then wife also wanted one for fitness.I was also overweight and unfit and joined in .My eldest daughter aged 19 also wanted to join in soon afterwards.

Within a week and 4 mountain bikes later we were regularly braving winter cold morning rides and weekends in the nature reserve outside our city.

The pain and suffering of getting fit from zero fitness was hard.

I enjoyed the adventure of riding difficult trails and seeing antelope at close range.Also my wife and kids did it with me and were loving it.The childlike enjoyment of riding a bicycle never leaves you even when you are way too old to be a child.

What impressed me the most was that mountain bikes are super tough compared to the bikes around when I was a kid.Even entry level mountain bikes can take serious trails rather well.Also these things went anywhere...tar, mud ,sand,gravel,hills mountains....anything.

Also tubeless with Stans sealant...what a pleasure...go anywhere no flat tyres etc...awesome....wish we had this stuff when I was a kid.....hated fixing punctures.

Then came the results....started losing weight rapidly...started eating healthier .

The competitive spirit is another aspect...doing races ...getting fitter...improving your skills and endurance...a constant challenge where the end of one is beginning of another.

I don't do it to socialize as such ,however I enjoy the cycling crowds and cycling friends.Visiting the LBS.....need I say more?

Cycling is very satisfying ....health wise ...general sense of well being....adventure and challenges etc etc etc.

My wife kids an I love it.

Tried my hand last weekend at first road cycling race ....63 km mountain to mountain. Enjoyed the road race.

Its a combination of things that makes me never want to quit cycling;

- the feeling of being completely buggered after a long ride and resigned to the couch for the rest of the day

- all the food tastes sweeter (not to mention I can eat more)

- the air smells fresher

- my mood is better

- the sense of pushing boundaries and breaking through new ones

- surprising yourself

- satisfaction from hanging in when your body was screaming out for you to STOP!

- The occasional satisfaction of having the perfect race, where you the amateur had the pleasure of handing it to some of the elites..... it validates your training, your lifestyle and renews your motivation.

I simply love cycling,probably the main reasons are- pure enjoyment,fitness,sense of achievement,friends.I have also had 2 spinal fusions and cannot do any other sport any more,so cycling becomes even more important to me.

I ride for the smell of pine needles, for the feel-good hormones your body is filled with for as much as a whole day after doing a really tough race like Sabie, for the places you get to see and the luxury of going away almost every weekend, and finally because when you really suffer, you are reminded of how good you have it

- on a more serious note, cycling has relieved me of 12kg's and some serious cholestrol concerns in the past 10months. And it shapes the legs too B) .

Its the 2nd leg of Ironman ... although i know enter more road and mtb races that tri's

After retiring from indoor Volleyball after 18 years, i decided to give MTB a go and now after 3 years in the saddle I'm loving every moment of it.

its a great medium to release stress, forget all your worries for those 2 -3 hrs and a great way to stay fit and in shape.

Gonna introduce my daughter to the sport so we can have hours of bonding time.

I was given my first bike at 6 and a bike was my means of transport from then till matric.If you want to go to the shop or a mate you got on your bike.

After the army it was an ideal way to go to the cricket etc.Take it inside at Newlands and chain it to a pole.Bit of a challenge coming down Keurboom Road after an afternoon in Castle Corner tho

It was only in my 30's that it became a sport and fun which it has been till now.Healthy and fun at the same time.Don't take it too seriously and don't give a **** if someone waves or not

the kind of talk that goes on at races, at parties, at the dinner table, etc; this being that more often than not cycling is more about belonging to something and feeling accepted and perceived in a certain way than it is about pure passion for the sport itself.

fark steaks. You hang out with the wrong people.