No more 26" MTB from 2013 - is this true?

gummybear

Hi

Would like to know if this is true? Was at a bike shop during the week, as I am in the market for a new MTB, where the shop owner informed me that none of the bike OEM's have and 26" bike in their catalogues for 2013 and will only be producing 29" - hence his recommendation for rather purchasing the 29".

I must admit there is very good pricing on 26" Dual Suspension bikes with good components at the momement that is equivalent to the same specs in the 29' Hardtail version.

He suggested that a 29" Hardtail is equivalent, if not a little better, than its equivalent 26" Dual Suspension - obviously we are not talking the best in the range - I am looking to spend in the region R15-16K

I am new to the sport of MTB (will be my first bike) so not sure what to purchase now?

For interest sake the bikes in question were:

29": Momsen ALS29 R Type

26": Merida 120 Dual Suspension

Feedback and comments on this will be much appreciated

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi

Would like to know if this is true? Was at a bike shop during the week, as I am in the market for a new MTB, where the shop owner informed me that none of the bike OEM's have and 26" bike in their catalogues for 2013 and will only be producing 29" - hence his recommendation for rather purchasing the 29".

I must admit there is very good pricing on 26" Dual Suspension bikes with good components at the momement that is equivalent to the same specs in the 29' Hardtail version.

He suggested that a 29" Hardtail is equivalent, if not a little better, than its equivalent 26" Dual Suspension - obviously we are not talking the best in the range - I am looking to spend in the region R15-16K

I am new to the sport of MTB (will be my first bike) so not sure what to purchase now?

He is lying :thumbdown:

Sales BS , wants to sell you what HE thinks is cool or has on his shop floor.

Edited by Iron

Hi

Thats the biggest load of bs ever, Id find another bike shop because he has no idea what hes talking about

I have also heard that some manufacturers are only going to manufacture 29er and no longer manufacture 26" bikes.

Edit: And i have heard it from more than one bike shop.

Edited by specializedfan

I was informed at Concept Cyclery at Melrose (yes I know its a not a great shop) that all 26" bikes are marked down 50% and they don't have stock of 29ers due to demand.

damn! if this is true I must hold onto and buy up all the 26ers. They will only increase in value :D

Hi

how tall are you?

if you are victor matfield. go for the 29er.

if you are francois hougaard go for the 26

if it's a tossup inbetween, the 26 will give way more bang for buck than 29er. they come with hype, which is pricey