Vo2 Max testing- where & how much?

so did you find one & what was the outcome i.e. did you get what you wanted/needed? #justcurious :whistling:

Did a test with Gary Beneke that time. He runs a small fitness studio in the south of Joburg. Most useful info there was actually my threshold numbers but highlighted the state of all my energy systems at that time. I think it helps with the extra awareness of your body and training.

Was meant to do a re-test at the High Performance centre this year but didn't get to it. Apparently it's much better with them.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Did a test with Gary Beneke that time. He runs a small fitness studio in the south of Joburg. Most useful info there was actually my threshold numbers but highlighted the state of all my energy systems at that time. I think it helps with the extra awareness of your body and training.

Was meant to do a re-test at the High Performance centre this year but didn't get to it. Apparently it's much better with them.

why not just do a self test, just to compare the numbers, basically an all out effort of 5mins balls-to-the-wall, the average is your VO2Max zone.

• 3 years later...

Where can I go for it and how much does it cost? Johannesburg area.

Thanks

Good Day. 

Please see the article that I have written below, in response the comments posted to your question. I hope this helps.. 

VO2max testing/CPET for endurance athletes

After reading a discussion about “VO2max” testing on a forum called Bike Hub, I was disappointed by the slew of misinformation and pseudo-science which followed.

In the discussion, the question was asked, “Where can I do a VO2max test?”

Why would you want to do a “VO2max test”? How will it help your performance?

What followed were some sadly misinformed responses from unqualified indviduals who only understand part of the picture and are propagating misinformation and confusion and asked questions such as “Why would you want to do a VO2max test?”, “ How is that going to help your performance?”

First of all, VO2max testing is a misnomer. Cardiopulmonary exercise testing is the actual test being discussed and in fact in most test subjects the true VO2max is not actually attained. For this reason the ventilatory thresholds which are attained during the test are of more relevance to the exercise scientist and athlete for the purposes of planning training and assessing cardiopulmonary endurance capacity. These thresholds namely; Ventilatory threshold 1 (VT1) and Ventilatory threshold 2 (VT2) commonly referred to as the aerobic and anaerobic thresholds respectively, are important markers upon which training can be scientifically planned/assessed and reflect the intensities at which marked changes occur in the predominating energy systems and the ratios of contributions of the different energy substrates to the total power output. This information is great importance to an endurance athlete because of the link between exercise intensity and energy production and how this affects all aspects of endurance performance including but not limited to, maximal endurance capacity, pacing, nutrition and training strategies.

Once the different ventilatory thresholds and possibly the VO2max have been attained at different workloads during the test and correlated to heart rate data at each point, we now have a basis for planning training according to specific HR zones with the aim of training at or around the different thresholds to improve the specific physiological attributes that contribute to optimal endurance performance. These attributes include maximal aerobic capacity, aerobic endurance and anaerobic capacity.

In the forum a comment was also made that “Sky says VO2max is not a good predictor of performance” This is an example of a piece of information taken out of context. This statement is partly true but also completely misinformed. The basis of this statement is research that has shown that amongst homogeneous groups of elite athletes (athletes of the same sport and same level) that differences in their VO2max did not directly predict performance outcomes. This is because all the athletes in the elite group had adequate VO2max scores but at the very high intensities that they competed, a multitude of other factors influenced performance outcomes, factors such as anaerobic capacity, pacing, nutrition strategies and psychology for example.

However, VO2max was a very good predictor of performance outcomes amongst heterogeneous groups of athletes (Athletes from the same sport but at different level of competition). For example, novice/beginner athletes typically had significantly lower VO2max scores than the elite athletes in the same sport. That being said, improving your VO2max can help improve endurance performance up to a certain point however there are a multitude of other factors that also influence endurance performance and outcomes.

Therefore to conclude, a cardiopulmonary exercise test would provide valuable information to an endurance athlete/coach provided that the test is performed correctly, using a valid test modality in a controlled environment and using accurate CPET testing equipment. Of utmost importance is that correct analysis and feedback of the results of a test is provided to the coach/athlete so that the appropriate training decisions can be made and specific training sessions can be planned and implemented.

Good Day. 

Please see the article that I have written below, in response the comments posted to your question. I hope this helps.. 

After reading a discussion about “VO2max” testing on a forum called Bike Hub, I was disappointed by the slew of misinformation and pseudo-science which followed.

What followed were some sadly misinformed responses from unqualified indviduals who only understand part of the picture and are propagating misinformation and confusion and asked questions such as “Why would you want to do a VO2max test?”, “ How is that going to help your performance?”

First of all, VO2max testing is a misnomer. Cardiopulmonary exercise testing is the actual test being discussed and in fact in most test subjects the true VO2max is not actually attained. For this reason the ventilatory thresholds which are attained during the test are of more relevance to the exercise scientist and athlete for the purposes of planning training and assessing cardiopulmonary endurance capacity. These thresholds namely; Ventilatory threshold 1 (VT1) and Ventilatory threshold 2 (VT2) commonly referred to as the aerobic and anaerobic thresholds respectively, are important markers upon which training can be scientifically planned/assessed and reflect the intensities at which marked changes occur in the predominating energy systems and the ratios of contributions of the different energy substrates to the total power output. This information is great importance to an endurance athlete because of the link between exercise intensity and energy production and how this affects all aspects of endurance performance including but not limited to, maximal endurance capacity, pacing, nutrition and training strategies.

Once the different ventilatory thresholds and possibly the VO2max have been attained at different workloads during the test and correlated to heart rate data at each point, we now have a basis for planning training according to specific HR zones with the aim of training at or around the different thresholds to improve the specific physiological attributes that contribute to optimal endurance performance. These attributes include maximal aerobic capacity, aerobic endurance and anaerobic capacity.

In the forum a comment was also made that “Sky says VO2max is not a good predictor of performance” This is an example of a piece of information taken out of context. This statement is partly true but also completely misinformed. The basis of this statement is research that has shown that amongst homogeneous groups of elite athletes (athletes of the same sport and same level) that differences in their VO2max did not directly predict performance outcomes. This is because all the athletes in the elite group had adequate VO2max scores but at the very high intensities that they competed, a multitude of other factors influenced performance outcomes, factors such as anaerobic capacity, pacing, nutrition strategies and psychology for example.

However, VO2max was a very good predictor of performance outcomes amongst heterogeneous groups of athletes (Athletes from the same sport but at different level of competition). For example, novice/beginner athletes typically had significantly lower VO2max scores than the elite athletes in the same sport. That being said, improving your VO2max can help improve endurance performance up to a certain point however there are a multitude of other factors that also influence endurance performance and outcomes.

Therefore to conclude, a cardiopulmonary exercise test would provide valuable information to an endurance athlete/coach provided that the test is performed correctly, using a valid test modality in a controlled environment and using accurate CPET testing equipment. Of utmost importance is that correct analysis and feedback of the results of a test is provided to the coach/athlete so that the appropriate training decisions can be made and specific training sessions can be planned and implemented.

Interesting. But did the DeLorean break down?

DeLorean?

Time travel device in Back to the Future? I'm alluding, in a comical manner, to your contribution to a 3 1/2 year old thread.

BTW, welcome to BikeHub!

Everyday is Friday!

Hehehehe

True true

It's also the day my next Vee Oh Doux max test is scheduled ⚠️

Good Day.

In the forum a comment was also made that “Sky says VO2max is not a good predictor of performance” This is an example of a piece of information taken out of context. This statement is partly true but also completely misinformed. The basis of this statement is research that has shown that amongst homogeneous groups of elite athletes (athletes of the same sport and same level) that differences in their VO2max did not directly predict performance outcomes. This is because all the athletes in the elite group had adequate VO2max scores but at the very high intensities that they competed, a multitude of other factors influenced performance outcomes, factors such as anaerobic capacity, pacing, nutrition strategies and psychology for example.

However, VO2max was a very good predictor of performance outcomes amongst heterogeneous groups of athletes (Athletes from the same sport but at different level of competition). For example, novice/beginner athletes typically had significantly lower VO2max scores than the elite athletes in the same sport. That being said, improving your VO2max can help improve endurance performance up to a certain point however there are a multitude of other factors that also influence endurance performance and outcomes.

I think you failed to answer the questions

WHERE can "it" be done and how much

Edited by SwissVan

As a tri-athlete, I spend a lot of money on my sports. I am starting to feel a little milked actually. Why is Vo2 max testing even required/valuable? I can track my cycling gains using power, and running through speed. Why is this even needed for average athletes? 

Edited by EmJayZA

As a tri-athlete, I spend a lot of money on my sports. I am starting to feel a little milked actually. Why is Vo2 max testing even required/valuable? I can track my cycling gains using power, and running through speed. Why is this even needed for average athletes? 

i did mine because it made me feel better to see that i am actually ok-ish on the average scale....So i do not have an excuse for why i am suffering. I just need to train more bottom line :ph34r:  

• 4 weeks later...

Interesting to see how this compared to actual tests:

Calculating VO2 Max

Multiply your average wattage from the field test(20min FTP) by 10.8. Divide that number by your weight in kilograms. Add seven to that number to calculate your VO2 max. For example, if you averaged 300 watts during the field test and weighed 80 kg, your VO2 max would be 47.5 mL/(kg x min).

Comparing Results

On average, untrained athletes have a VO2 max of 36 to 72 mL (kg x min) for men and 26 to 42 for women. Trained men average 50 to 70 and trained women usually fall between 40 and 60. Elite athletes usually have a VO2 max over 60 for men and over 50 for women. For example, former champion cyclist Greg LeMond scored a VO2 max of 92.5 with the current record holder being Norwegian cyclist Oskar Svedsen with a score of 97.5.

Edited by antonj