Recommend Me a Protein Shake

P.A.K.

Hi guys,

I have searched the forum but could not find and concrete results.

For the past 2 months I started training more intensely than usual. I found that my body takes long to recover after a decent workout - sometimes more than two days.

From what I understand I could benefit from having some whey protein directly after my workouts to aid in recovery.

I am however a complete noob with these supplements, and don't know what to look for in a protein shake. Any advice will be appreciated.

I should also add that I am a bit overweight at the moment, and currently on the Weigh-Less diet, which includes a surprising amount of carbs, but not much protein.

My idea is to take the protein shake once a day after my morning workout, replacing the recommended protein (yogurt or milk). I would still have 2 slices of toast together with the shake, as per Wheigh-less.

So, who can tell me what I must look for in a protein shake, possibly recommend some brands etc. Hopefully there is something cost-effective.

Thank you very much!

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I go with EnduraShake from Pace and Power: http://www.paceandpower.za.net, their shop is at St Peters Primary school in Joburg. Have a chat to Megan who runs the place she's pretty clued up on nutrition etc....

Good for pre race loading and post race recovery.

Also some L-Glutamine with whatever you have after training and an additional serving before bedtime. Helps a lot

I use Evox Whey Protein (cookies & cream flavor).

I only use mine after high intensity training session though and not as a meal replacement.

I use USN's whey protein. Mixes easy with water, juice or chocolate milk. I use vanilla which means you can mix with anything even in a fruit smoothie. It has some L- glutamine in it. It can be mixed without a blender.

You could go for a Recovery shake, something like 32Gi Recover, Biogen Recover, I think USN also has one.

Personally I prefer the 32Gi.

You could also have a glass of chocolate milk.

But if you just looking for a whey protein shake then I'd suggest EVOX or SSN.

I may be wrong,but I believe that there are only so many bulk producers of protein products. So the same stuff gets delivered to all the manufacturers, they brand and tweak it.

I buy whey or soy in those no name bags at Dischem.

Add a bit of glutamine, milk and cocoa powder.

Edit: If I did buy a brand would be 32 GI

Edited by Blokman

I am used to 32Gi Endure, which makes me somewhat biased to the 32Gi Recover option.

I will do some research thumbup1.gif Please keep the suggestions coming!

As far as whey's go i think muscle science is great value, your buying whey isolate and hydrolysate at the price of the other standard products out there... To purchase the same thing else where you would pay upward of R700 a tub from optimum nutrition. I use this. Dischem.

Glutamine is not bad for you, wont add calories to diet and aids well in recovery. I also recommend!

Supplements probably won't solve the problem completely. Adjust your diet a bit and be sure to consume enough clean carbs (low GI bread, brown rice, potatoes etc) for energy before a training session. The lactic acid in your muscles are normally generated after you burned up all external energy sources, like food, and start burning glycogen(spelling?) in muscles. This takes quite a while to regenerate and break down the lactic acid.

After training eat some meat! Buy the best whey protein you can afford and add some glutamine! AND plenty of sleep!!