Trail runners on the , err , trails.

jimmy hardtail

Why are horses at the top of the food chain? Stupid things belong in salami.

It was a horsey aristocrat in England around the year dot that got cycle racing banned in England. Took them a century to recover. Apparently her horse was startled by a bike. They should have banned wind, trees, rabbits, cars and other horses as well. Horses are startled by their own shadows and that is not an exaggeration.

Before you say I am anti horse remember this. I am anti horse!

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

By “our dh trail“ I mean the track that all the dh riders have spent the last 2 years building. It wasn't always there, and if we don't maintain it ,it will dissapear.

I am happy to share the trails with runners as long as they don't run up the dh track please. Not trying to be selfish but there are a couple of places, especially near the bottom, that are fairly blind corners and jumps. At full speed a rider won't be able to stop , especially in mid air, if a runner suddenly appears on the landing of the quarry jump, for example. If it does happen, I reckon a few broken bones for both parties involved would be the minimum that would happen.

So its not a cases of “ we pay , you don't so bugger off!“ Its a safety issue. Thanks Noel.

By “our dh trail“ I mean the track that all the dh riders have spent the last 2 years building. It wasn't always there, and if we don't maintain it ,it will dissapear.

I am happy to share the trails with runners as long as they don't run up the dh track please. Not trying to be selfish but there are a couple of places, especially near the bottom, that are fairly blind corners and jumps. At full speed a rider won't be able to stop , especially in mid air, if a runner suddenly appears on the landing of the quarry jump, for example. If it does happen, I reckon a few broken bones for both parties involved would be the minimum that would happen.

So its not a cases of “ we pay , you don't so bugger off!“ Its a safety issue. Thanks Noel.

Point taken, and will educate the runners. I am in agreement that runners or walkers should stay clear of the DH tracks,as these are potential collision sites.

Sorry you feel that way, because thats exactly the way motorists feel about cyclists on the road, and thats just really sad.

lets add runners in here too, often enough 2 or 3 abreast in a main road!!!!

I have run with the Trail & Tar group a few times and we have always made a point of moving out of the way for cyclists and being courteous to riders on the single track. A bunch of the running group that I was in are also mountain bikers and make sure that we don't get in the way of riders, we don't want a dual crown fork sticking out of our faces any more than the next person.

I stand corrected by I have never seen anyone from the T&T group with an ipod, if someone tried it on, they would be told to go run on a treadmill at the gym.

Simple solution, no need for regulation or bans, lets all just get along. Runners are going to continue to use the singletracks, they are far nicer to run on than the jeep track and stepped hiking trail, and often link areas and routes that would otherwise be miles apart. Runners should yield to bikes on single track. As a biker I expect runners to get out of the way, and this is just the way it should be, it is far easier to step off the track than it is for a bike to stop.

Just rode this evening. Lots of dh riders practicing and didn't seem to be any hassles with the trail runners at all. So we can all get along. Awesome! Thanks runners.

While some places have multi-use trails where right of way applies, I feel from a safety and especially a trail maintenance point one should stick to your designated trails.

For example I always see tyre tracks on the hiking trails in Groenkloof. I don't know much about trails but I don't think that those trails were designed to take the cornering and braking of mtb tyres very well. I never run on the mtb trails there either, as the speed at which you can ride it, it just makes a colission pretty inevitable.

Let everyone enjoy their bit of trail in their own time

Think I'm bringing trail shoes AND bike next time I'm in CT...just wish I had the time. Miss Tokai! Must be nearly 20 years since I rolled there. You guys are making me home sick!!

Think I'm bringing trail shoes AND bike next time I'm in CT...just wish I had the time. Miss Tokai! Must be nearly 20 years since I rolled there. You guys are making me home sick!!

20 Years ... the only thing that you will remember from Tokai then is the tar road leading to the parking area

Guest Omega Man

20 Years ... the only thing that you will remember from Tokai then is the tar road leading to the parking area

And most of that is also gone. Hahaha.

I run and ride, and think the runners should stay OFF the tokai singletrack. Horses should DEFINITELY not be allowed on it. DH track is also not up for debate.

There is so much space in the arboretum to go running, and the rest of the mountain really. That's where I run when I go there. This is just my opinion, but I also think that Tokai mtbers in general don't really have a good leg to stand on as many people blatantly ignore the No MTB signs There is the other issue of not paying, but AFAIK running groups above a certain size all need to have a wildcard...at least that's what happens with CRAG runs(someone can fill us in here).

BUT since Trail & Tar play both fields I am happy for them to decide and keep it fair for all interested parties. Large groups may actually be a better idea than single privateers jumping out of the darkness. If it becomes an issue, then it should up to them to resolve as they seem to have started it.

Know the feeling, Best one was when one person shouted at me I'm using the trail/single track the wrong way on my way down... On a single track me and my friends build/cleared. Not in Tokai but Stellenbosch.

Trail runners must be on the look-out and keep Ipods out of their ears and dogs under control. Dont mind them using it, but they need to be considered.

Trees, I remember trees!!! (and sometimes horses and dogs) and riding on my "green mamba" where I liked ;-) slipping on sand and pine needles and falling in dongas, and never seeing another cyclist. And a goshawk taking its catch right under my nose.