PPA Summer League

fandacious

Hi,

So Vets (40-49) in PPA C group can enter Cat 2 or Cat 3. Which category will fellow vets be choosing?

Cat 2 with the Sub vets are gonna be a killer

Cat 3 with the ladies is always motivating, but may also attract some 'open' D-G (overly risky males)

Must one be a member of a club to join? no, you can race as an individual BUT if you want to ride cat 4 inter club then you must be a member of a club affiliated to one of the WCape regions ie WP,Boland,West Coast

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

summer league starts on 11 Jan with tour of Philadelphia

Yes. Correction.

7 weekends : 7 events

Excluding 99er and Aurgust.

What a simmer.... Uhm, summer!

I'm looking forward to this...unfortunately missing the 1st event though with Totalsports Challenge on the same day...

SAD, Spring league was great, longer distances, racing on a Saturday afternoon, format worked well, racing was hard and the standard was lifted, Now PPA gets involved and again its not a league, its basically a few funrides, some of them so badly planned as they happen on the weekend before and during SA CHAMPS, so again it looks like a PPA funride is more important than SA Champs, you wanna tell you kids one day you won a PPA funride or that you where SA Champ, personally the Lights by Linea League orginised without the sanction or involvement of PPA did more to raise the level of road racing and was harder and therefore of more value than this, We are again going backwards with this summer league, racing 80 - 110 km is a waist of time, no wonder the Gautengers smoke the Capies when they race them

agree, Spring League was great and hats off to Wayne Roberts of Light by Linea and Alex Heward but remember this events just don't run themselves. event organisers are very thin on the ground because there is no money in cycle events (unless you have a very generous sponsor) hence our approach to ppa.

we need to get a sustainable model for cycle racing off the ground that will still be here in years to come.

once summer league is finished. Autumn & Winter road races will kick in and culminate in a 'big event' in June.

just to correct a few perceptions - ppa don't have the mandate to sanction races.

SA's are in Durban and will attract a minority of West Cape cyclists - business as usual for the majority.

your criticism has been noted but i appeal to you to work with us.

SAD, Spring league was great, longer distances, racing on a Saturday afternoon, format worked well, racing was hard and the standard was lifted, Now PPA gets involved and again its not a league, its basically a few funrides, some of them so badly planned as they happen on the weekend before and during SA CHAMPS, so again it looks like a PPA funride is more important than SA Champs, you wanna tell you kids one day you won a PPA funride or that you where SA Champ, personally the Lights by Linea League orginised without the sanction or involvement of PPA did more to raise the level of road racing and was harder and therefore of more value than this, We are again going backwards with this summer league, racing 80 - 110 km is a waist of time, no wonder the Gautengers smoke the Capies when they race them

Not disagreeing but I need to add my 5c because you do not get a 2c anymore: :ph34r:

• I do not want to race on a Sat afternoon...whole day gone esp 170km
  • PPA cater for guys like me who is fit enough to race but do not have the ability/time to race 160km
  • PPA cater for the masses...to move a ride/race for 20-30 guys going to SA's not worth it.
  • Gauteng does not have a league like us never mind 160km races.
  • SA's age-group racing....think Western Cape is up there. :thumbup:

The Light's by Linea is great for Elite racing in Cape Town but I like my 80 - 110km morning races.

Edited by AuctionLamb

You actually have a choice if you want to do this. If PPA is a thorn in your side don't do their funrides. I thought Lights of Linea will also be having events during this period?

Edited by Jaco-fiets

You actually have a choice if you want to do this. If PPA is a thorn in your side don't do their funrides. I thought Lights of Linea will also be having events during this period?

Thought so too with regard to LBL.

Or was it a one season wonder.

It must be hard to sustain that in this economic environment without additional partnership. I did see CWC, etc in the mix too...

I like auctionlamb's views.

Best of both worlds, I say.

As a father, husband and working professional, the Vets League within PPA has been a solid test and challenge. I remain interested in that format.

Of course. PPA has its warts.

I do smile inside when I see the roads filled with nervous beginners to wannabe PROs with Dogmas and Oakleys at the funrides.

Edited by ' Dale

the lights by Linea imho was a race for the dedicated racing semi pro. to race each weekend over 160 k's in all types of weather is not suited to the working cyclist.

i believe a lot of guys pitched for one event and then decided to can it.

No One that can answer my question?

What happens if you not a PPA member?

Prob depends in which CAT you wanting to race. I would assume NO for Cat 1 & 2. maybe they'll allow you in the "Open Cat".