the 1.5m gap is retarded

sadamhussein

The proposal of the 1.5m gap is the most moronic thing i've ever heard of!

How does the suggestion of a gap between vehicles and a bicycle prevent someone from being mowed down from behind by people who think they are outside of the rules that the law abiding road users adhere to?

The idea of a gap is all good and fine, but if you cant get taxi drivers to stop using the emergency lane as their own piece of road to speed past stationary traffic at 80kph+ , or get them to stop jumping red lights the second the light goes amber for cross-traffic, i'm afraid you certainly wont get them to leave a 1.5m gap.

First fix the lawlessness of these hooligans who get aggressive as soon as they are confronted for their wrongdoings, then worry about a "gap".

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just to counter your argument on one front.... someone showed us some stats here recently, there are more cyclists hit by motorcars than taxis. I haven't had any issues with taxis threatening my spot on the road, in all the 10 or 11 years I've cycled.

Just to counter your argument on one front.... someone showed us some stats here recently, there are more cyclists hit by motorcars than taxis. I haven't had any issues with taxis threatening my spot on the road, in all the 10 or 11 years I've cycled.

I once was narrowly missed by a taxi that overtook on the left of the queue of cars. he didn't anticipate me being there as he pulled out from behind the rapidly slowing traffic. i could feel his wing mirror brush past my shoulder. luckily i was riding towards traffic so i could take evasive action, otherwise i would have gone the same way as Burry.

The other day a taxi driver threw a piece of metal at me (after intentionally trying to intimidate me by sitting on my rear wheel) when i refused to let him past in the yellow lane where i was riding.

maybe these c#nts behave differently in pretoria.

I'd say it 's more of an awareness campaign than 'stay 1.5' away. Sorry, 'retarded' or not anything that get people noticing us more is a good thing.

Don't haven't see many other people / organisations doing much in the past.

As for Taxi's vs public, I've had more issues with southern suburbs moms and dads than any taxi. Light jumping, phone talking, bike ignoring, not signalling and then no apologies, just a look of contempt. Not once had hassles with taxis down this way.

Hey Saddam, ranting against the 1.5m proposal because you are p'd of at taxi drivers makes no sense. They are 2 different issues.

You use very strong language against something that is aimed at making cycling safer, is well intended and is likely to raise safety awareness. It may not be the definitive safety cure, but it cannot possibly do any harm. It can only improve the chances of convicting drivers in court for reclessly killing cyclists. I cannot see how it will put cyclists in a worse off position.

I think calling it retarded and moronic is retarded and moronic.wink.png

Oh dear. I love my new mission. So many opportunities.

And dumbasses....

I wonder how many moronic threads arguing the same we are going to have.....

Or threads bitching anonymously about some other cyclist behaving in a way we don't like....angry.png

Come take a ride with me to work and back tomorrow , then lets talk about taxis,

I agree with the OP, the rule is useless without a culture change towards all road rules by all road users, we have a culture of road rules are kinda a guideline, and that we don't have to obey them,

I suppose what you're saying makes sense, just the way you worded it isn't necessarily correct... The principle of the proposed law makes sense - the fact that it would never ever be enforced on our roads makes it pointless. Our roads just aren't designed to allow that sort of space for cyclists. This would basically mean that traffic on the Main road (I'm in CT) would be backed up for ages behind the commuter trundling along on his way to work at 15kph as it would be illegal to pass on the majority of the road (the law would apply to your gardener on his bike as much as it applies to you); Constantia Nek would be completely impossible to drive up from any direction because of one slow cyclist; you'd be lucky if the cyclist sat right on the left hand edge of the road on Ou Kaaps which might give you 1.5m to pass on occasion (if he was in the middle of the yellow line then you'd be stuck).

Basically it just isn't logical as there are situations on the above roads where it may be safe to pass, but this would make it illegal and basically make a lot of our roads useless to all except the most patient motorists...

The only way I can see them making this law enforcable is to ban cyclists from any road that does not have a yellow line area at least 1m wide giving motorists sufficient space to legally pass them. Maybe that is the solution to make the roads safer for cyclists - only allow us to cycle on safe roads or just accept that you are making the choice to take a risk and you need to accept the potential consequences? I know that Constantia Nek is extremely dangerous to cycle yet I choose to cycle it a few times a week - if I come short it will suck, but I understand there is that risk and I could go an alternative safer route if I wanted.

The good thing about having a rule like this is that anyone who does clip you from behind has been breaking the law - at the moment there is no obligation to even give you any space - even 2 inchs may be more may be enough to save you life.

And Saddam - WTF is this? "luckily i was riding towards traffic" that means you were on the wrong side of the road... you are a problem - get back where you belong - on the left.

Edited by V12man

@sadamhussein taxis in Baghdad must be hectic!

Haven't had issues in Sea Point

Edited by Beefy

I suppose what you're saying makes sense, just the way you worded it isn't necessarily correct... The principle of the proposed law makes sense - the fact that it would never ever be enforced on our roads makes it pointless. Our roads just aren't designed to allow that sort of space for cyclists. This would basically mean that traffic on the Main road (I'm in CT) would be backed up for ages behind the commuter trundling along on his way to work at 15kph as it would be illegal to pass on the majority of the road (the law would apply to your gardener on his bike as much as it applies to you); Constantia Nek would be completely impossible to drive up from any direction because of one slow cyclist; you'd be lucky if the cyclist sat right on the left hand edge of the road on Ou Kaaps which might give you 1.5m to pass on occasion (if he was in the middle of the yellow line then you'd be stuck).

Basically it just isn't logical as there are situations on the above roads where it may be safe to pass, but this would make it illegal and basically make a lot of our roads useless to all except the most patient motorists...

The only way I can see them making this law enforcable is to ban cyclists from any road that does not have a yellow line area at least 1m wide giving motorists sufficient space to legally pass them. Maybe that is the solution to make the roads safer for cyclists - only allow us to cycle on safe roads or just accept that you are making the choice to take a risk and you need to accept the potential consequences? I know that Constantia Nek is extremely dangerous to cycle yet I choose to cycle it a few times a week - if I come short it will suck, but I understand there is that risk and I could go an alternative safer route if I wanted.

I cant agree more. It is the way you deal with things. Some people just lack the people skills to defuse potential conflict.

The only way I can see them making this law enforcable is to ban cyclists from any road that does not have a yellow line area at least 1m wide

So you want to make it illegal for me to leave my house via bike?

Why don't you just ban cycling while you at it?

Even when I do travel on roads with a wide yellow lines, I still feel in danger with rush hour yellow line taxis.

The solution does not lie with making new rules, but rather changing attitudes

I'd rather have the 1.5m law proposed and accepted, and drivers be made aware of it, than the situation that's existed in the past. Perhaps some drivers who haven't realised that bikes require some measure of space will now be more aware.

V12man is also right. It gives us some measure of legal recourse.

the rule is useless without a culture change towards all road rules by all road users

Culture change has to start somewhere why not with 1.5m rule and go from there.

Just slamming ideas whilst crying for culture change without adding ideas of your own is pointless.

The proposal of the 1.5m gap is the most moronic thing i've ever heard of!

How does the suggestion of a gap between vehicles and a bicycle prevent someone from being mowed down from behind by people who think they are outside of the rules that the law abiding road users adhere to?

The idea of a gap is all good and fine, but if you cant get taxi drivers to stop using the emergency lane as their own piece of road to speed past stationary traffic at 80kph+ , or get them to stop jumping red lights the second the light goes amber for cross-traffic, i'm afraid you certainly wont get them to leave a 1.5m gap.

First fix the lawlessness of these hooligans who get aggressive as soon as they are confronted for their wrongdoings, then worry about a "gap".

Seriously - we just keep on saying "let's not change anything as taxis are the worst anyways"?

Following your logic, we might as well do away with speed limits, alcohol limits and road worthiness rules, because faak it, all taxis break the rules anyways.

Lately I am embarrassed by the logic some of our fellow riders come up with. I have started enjoying rides on my own as I am fed up arguing with other about setting an example, attitude, making the first step, thinking for all of us etc - you seem to be a prime example why many drivers have issues with cyclists. What I never understand - I am a cyclist, I am a pedestrian, I am driving a vehicle. I drive to races, cycle and drive home. I don't think "cyclist vs car vs taxi, as I am all. I think I participate in traffic, no matter what changing method I am currently using. So yes, I try to set an example by following rules to increase safety. As long as we keep on blaming other before actually obeying rules ourselves, nothing will change.