Race entry fees

big.mamma

What makes me laugh with some of these race fees is the amount of work that gets done on the trail...

ie just about none.

We have several races in this area...year after year....same organisers...same boring routes...The trails/routes never get any attention (great trail up at a local hotel that is now pretty much going to ruin, hotel not bothered either after paying around R5k a kilometre! Lol) and it seems the race organiusers do as little as possible for the best possible return...

MTB is big business now - and the SA version is still more about a long slog than fun trails. Happily there are more and more events that are changing that. Like the Bo-Piketberg U event, but that's pricey.  For around 1k you can do the Eselfontein 3 day race in October. Free camping, race village and awesome trails. I'm doing a privately organized event in the Tankwa Trek area and that's costing me R2.5k including accommodation and some food and booze.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll have to try it, Wheelerdealer - I might have some among the 20 or so sachets still hanging about from last year's race season! (Now I feel like a coffee-flavoured Steri-Stumpie, or have they withdrawn those from the market already? Who in hell calls a product steri-Stumpie anyway? It should have failed dismally by every marketers calculations.)

HAHA, liked reading that you enjoy the Coffee Steri-Stumpi... I was involved in the flavour development a few years ago, and was one of the most challenging flavour developments we ever did. Definitely a great flavour! lol ;) 

I entered for the Amohela Classic in Clarens on 24-25 April. Two day event. Went for the smaller event as I have never been in Clarens so my girlfriend and I thought we'd make a getaway weekend of it and it's overdue to have a break, hence I entered the smaller event cause if I entered the 60/50 I would be too tired and sore to enjoy the little town. Feel the fees were reasonable. R790... Day 1 43km and day 2 40km, plus you receive a medal and goodie bag worth R400. Looking forward. The larger event is just over R1k, still reasonable for a two day event.

Seems like it's the exception and agree with the OP, some races charge excessive amounts. Wonder why...

Edited by Wimmas

Just a general thought in terms of the cost of entries...

Medical tent at start/finish

Ambulance/s on the route

Petrol for the sweep vehicles

Water tables

Printing of race numbers

Food and compensation (if applicable) to foot marshals

Motorbike marshals

Fees to CSA

Fees to traffic department/s

Medal at finish

Venue hire

Fencing

Online entry office

Seeding

Timing

Toilet hire

Tar to fill potholes

Paint to mark said holes

Radio comms hire

Race officials day fee and travel

Signage (long term investment, but does require replenishment over time)

And I too may have missed some

There are one or two others that I know I've forgotten to mention, but the above does add up. Now to put on an event, cover all the above costs and have something left for the chosen charity does, unfortunately, add up to the fees we pay. This does does mean that we can't all afford to race every weekend (some of us are down to max 4 events a year). Such is life.

I added to the list in bold.

That’s if you want to organize an event with the minimum requirements. Pity the events that cut the corners are allowed to renew their calendar application.

Fencing is compulsory before and after the finish line. This it to ensure safety to both participants as well as spectators.

Medical is also spec’d

Midvaal 100 miler? That's not the entry fee I saw ... was a lot less (600 early bird)

Is R600 a lot? Asking for a friend.

R1100 for RTTS 2021. R900 for Midvaal 100. Now that is pricey.

RTTS is r1100 and you need to pay r550 to get your bike dropped off?

I entered for the Amohela Classic in Clarens on 24-25 April. Two day event. Went for the smaller event as I have never been in Clarens so my girlfriend and I thought we'd make a getaway weekend of it and it's overdue to have a break, hence I entered the smaller event cause if I entered the 60/50 I would be too tired and sore to enjoy the little town. Feel the fees were reasonable. R790... Day 1 43km and day 2 40km, plus you receive a medal and goodie bag worth R400. Looking forward. The larger event is just over R1k, still reasonable for a two day event.

Seems like it's the exception and agree with the OP, some races charge excessive amounts. Wonder why...

I think I might have just been shafted...

I entered the Savanna Origin of Trails in Stellenbosch over the same weekend (24-25 April), and that was a whopping R1400, although I did receive a goodie bag and a cycling top... (Guess it is too late to cancel and change, lol)

Weirdly, there are several stage races over the same weekend of the 24-25 April, and it is interesting to see the wide range of entry fees for similar races/distances, ranging from R500 to R1500+ for a 2 day race... So as others have said in the thread, some of the organisers are making serious $$$ - normal I guess, as the organisers are running a "for-profit" business... 

Races are also a great way to gage your fitness levels in a competitive environment (other than Strava). 

In my case, I have recently started riding again (1 month ago), so entered the ride as a fitness target to work towards. Having entered the race and paid for the entry, it now kind of kind of forces me to do some time in the saddle, and am excited to be doing my first bike race in over 25 years ;) 

I think I might have just been shafted...

I entered the Savanna Origin of Trails in Stellenbosch over the same weekend (24-25 April), and that was a whopping R1400, althoughI did receive a goodie bag and a cycling top... (Guess it is too late to cancel and change, lol)

Weirdly, there are several stage races over the same weekend of the 24-25 April, and it is interesting to see the wide range of entry fees for similar races/distances, ranging from R500 to R1500+ for a 2 day race... So as others have said in the thread, some of the organisers are making serious $$$ - normal I guess, as the organisers are running a "for-profit" business...

Races are also a great way to gage your fitness levels in a competitive environment (other than Strava).

In my case, I have recently started riding again (1 month ago), so entered the ride as a fitness target to work towards. Having entered the race and paid for the entry, it now kind of kind of forces me to do some time in the saddle, and am excited to be doing my first bike race in over 25 years ;)

The Origin of Trails is also one of the main fund raisers for the Stellenbosch Trail Fund.

So there is a definite profit motif, and it's not a bad thing.

Enjoy it, it is a fantastic event.