Bikes for Enduro... The restart

braailegend

I also noticed the porky trend in new bikes. Put it in perspective, my 2014 SC5010 carbon, sram x1, pike & dropper weighs in at 12.2 kg with flat pedals and 2.3 tyres. Similar new 5010 almost 1kg heavier.

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Almost like the commencal meta series, where that linkage was on the downtube.

Like the Propain Hugene set up. 

Hugene_NEU.png

Yeah, almost. Both VPP sorta designs, as there's a bottom linkage, but the Propain has the shock attached to the lower linkage in a floating arrangement, and the chainstay attaches to the link in front of the ST instead of behind it. 

END-Propain-Hugene-Trailbike-Mountainbik

p5pb16503523.jpg

yes but, red bikes are faster!

Yeah, almost. Both VPP sorta designs, as there's a bottom linkage, but the Propain has the shock attached to the lower linkage in a floating arrangement, and the chainstay attaches to the link in front of the ST instead of behind it. 

END-Propain-Hugene-Trailbike-Mountainbik

p5pb16503523.jpg

I also noticed the porky trend in new bikes.

Put it in perspective, my 2014 SC5010 carbon, sram x1, pike & dropper weighs in at 12.2 kg with flat pedals and 2.3 tyres. Similar new 5010 almost 1kg heavier.

When proper tyres are comfortably over a kg each...

Your frame might make up 20% of the weight of the bike and probably weighs only marginally more than your fork or wheels alone - the material it's made from will have a relatively minor impact on the overall weight of the bike... People get so worried about what brand of frame it is vs overall bike weight for some strange reason.

I promise that the Santa Cruz stickers didn't make your bike 2kg lighter than another enduro bike. Tyres are probably one of the biggest differences as you can make 0.5kg+ difference in weight for the same cost just due to personal preference.

Your frame might make up 20% of the weight of the bike and probably weighs only marginally more than your fork or wheels alone - the material it's made from will have a relatively minor impact on the overall weight of the bike... People get so worried about what brand of frame it is vs overall bike weight for some strange reason.

I promise that the Santa Cruz stickers didn't make your bike 2kg lighter than another enduro bike. Tyres are probably one of the biggest differences as you can make 0.5kg+ difference in weight for the same cost just due to personal preference.

A very interesting view point from the guy who runs Starling cycles on the weight increase in the industry. From 28m in he chats why manufactures are bulking bikes a bit, the Ebike effect, rollover differences on 29rs etc. 

http://www.downtimepodcast.com/starling-cycles/

Okay, so my 16kg Enduro is actually okay then :-) 

Such a good podcast. Really interesting to hear his views on things like tyres and how good would it be to be able to tune them as you have these expensive forks all tuned up and then an inch of suspension in the tyre that is pretty out of control. Cool guy.