Gear for Enduro 2.0

DR ◣◢

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting that he says the fox 36 is the only fork with high and low rebound speed settings.

Edited by Eddy Gordo

Only issue I have with wtb is it is a MISSION to get onto the rim. Honestly takes me hours. Or I’m doing something wrong.

I have zero issues with mounting WTB's. No more than any other tubeless tyre :/

Their Tough High Grip tyres are ridiculous at the moment. Got a 2.6 Vigilante on the front and I'm so damn impressed with that tyre.

Eddy Gordo and other Michelin Wild enduro rear GumX 3d users: how much sealant and time was needed before the sidewalls stopped being porous? 

Rhetorical question really, as just more sealant and time will resolve the issue. Might be useful info to recall for those who will purchase the tyre, and then wonder why it's automagically deflating without an obvious cause.

Been a very long time ago now that i had to deal with porous sidewalls. Can't see any sealeant bleeding out the pores, but some soapy water revealed the culprit causing my tyre to deflate within 48 hrs. 

And it's on a very specific section of the sidewall, the  portion textured with lines highlighted below.

attachicon.gifmichelin.jpeg

These tyres are Tubeless Ready, so by definition, one can expect the sidewalls to be porous, as TLR refers only to the bead,not the rest of the carcass. Schwalbe has been spoiling me all these years, as their TLR SuperGravity tyres typically have zero sidewall bleeding.

Where did you get those from?

Where did you get those from?

ze germanz (bike-components).

so mounted the michelin wild enduro front. Same story with porous sidewalls which is of course a non-issue. First ride was short, but i think it was enough time to feel if there's any major difference between that and the magic mary. A couple of things I have to note:

the magic mary is on a Mavic Deemax XL rim with a 27mm inner width, and the michelin on an e-thirteen rim with 30mm inside width.  The ONLY notable difference in riding characteristic between the two sets of wheel+tire combos, was in sidewall squish. That michelin sidewall roll was very noticable. I haven't felt it on the rear, but that's because the pressure is abit higher.

In checking the front pressure after the ride, it was a bit lower than I would normally ride with the magic mary, so not a good basis for comparison.

I did however expect some sidewall slop from the Michelin under hard cornering because of the single ply sidewalls. Frankly, the SG carcass in that regard is the benchmark, but logical given it's double thickness sidewalls.

Despite the sidewall slop, so far, the grip and rolling resistance is comparable to that of the Hans Dampf and Magic Mary combo i've been riding for months now.  That's high praise in my view.

I think i'm going to like Michelins. :thumbup:

A lot.

wrt the Michelin's porous sidewalls: it doesn't bleed sealant, just air. So no whiteheads anywhere like one normally sees with very porous sidewalls on TRL tyres.

I've mentioned this before, but worth repeating: I've been so spoilt with SG carcasses because even though they are TLR, the double layer sidwall effectively makes them non-porous.

But i was spoilt to the extent that i've forgotten how to deal with porous sidewalls  :blush: and it's so simple.

Mount tyre, inject sealant, inflate to a nice high pressure,hold wheel horizontal so you can swirl the sealant around the sidewalls under pressure. Flip over to ensure you get both sidewalls lathered in sealant. Mount tyre to bike et voila, porosity resolved.