What someone is willing to pay

Butterbean

Ok so we've had had a couple of classified related threads in the past few days, which have been moaning sessions for a couple of reasons...

Well, here's mine.

WHAT THE F*** IS UP WITH THE PRICES OF SECOND HAND GOODS IN THE CLASSIFIEDS?

If I buy a golf gti, and drive it from the dealership to my home, lets say it's 35km at a push. That car is now second hand, and it's lost a good couple of grand off its value. Just by leaving the showroom floor.

Now let's say I've bought a brand new frame... Paid 20k for it. I don't like it after three weeks, so I sell it on the hub. But I want 19500. Really? Come on... The tag line of "only done 500kms" means nothing. We all know that 500kms could be up to 10 or more rides on that frame. Who knows what abuse it takes in those 10 rides! And you want what you paid for it? Come on...

Seriously, why the hell are we paying the ridiculous asking prices? All its doing is allowing the LBS to push their prices up even more because they know the second hand goods market.

I'm sorry. It's getting out of hand now.

One hubber had a line of "I thought the classified section was to help fellow hubbers". It's helping no one this crap happens. I don't mind paying what something is worth, but seriously, why do you guys who do this think you ad stays here for 4 months? Because you're being ridiculous, that's why.

Anyway... That's my Friday morning rant off. I can't be the only one who's noticed this...

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Seen a bike posted over and over for the last 3-4 weeks.Everytime about R500 less.At that rate he should sell it by December.

Most sellers don't get what they want but settle for best offers.

We seriously need some filters on adds, and a 100 post before you advertise policy.

Sometes opening the classifieds is like opening wantitall

If someone is prepared to pay the money for the goods, let them....all good. When I buy or sell I normally go with the following rule. 60% of the new prices if goods weren't used. If they were....the price drops from there.

The problem is, the fill price from a shop includes things like the warrantee.. Like the fact that if anything doesn't work you can return and exchange.

That's gonna be a big chunk of new price because it's part of the risk a shop carries.

But you carry none of that risk when you sell second hand...

So stop with the ridiculous pricing!

Ag that's nothing. I just saw at least 4 ads with no specs. No price. Nothing.

One just says. Garmin 810 bundle.

No price nothing

The problem is, the fill price from a shop includes things like the warrantee.. Like the fact that if anything doesn't work you can return and exchange.

That's gonna be a big chunk of new price because it's part of the risk a shop carries.

But you carry none of that risk when you sell second hand...

So stop with the ridiculous pricing!

And most hubbers have the savy to not even entertain people that want to sell their items at retail prices for the reasons you mentioned. Brand new secondhand, is still secondhand.

If someone is prepared to pay the money for the goods, let them....all good. When I buy or sell I normally go with the following rule. 60% of the new prices if goods weren't used. If they were....the price drops from there.

True, but just like those "stop to opt out sms", it's bloody irritating.

I have the opposite problem - I tend to advertise at what I think is a market related price.

I always get clowns offering me 50-70% of the asking price CASH. Apparently capitalising the CASH makes me want to drop my pants and hand over the goods whilst getting bum raped with no lube.

Edit: After typing that I just realised I did a similar thing to a hubber earlier in the week. Double face plant for me....

Edited by Eldron

True, but just like those "stop to opt out sms", it's bloody irritating.

I hear you, I find it rather amusing when they get offers and realize the position they are in, they quickly disappear...I like to move things fast on the hub, sometimes taking a hit in the process. I managed to strip and sell all the components off my gary fisher in 3 hours....

Generally if I see an item I am interested in I will have a price in mind I am willing to pay. If it is somewhat below I will make a PM offer stating why .......... sometimes I'm succesfull sometimes not.

Generally if I see an item I am interested in I will have a price in mind I am willing to pay. If it is somewhat below I will make a PM offer stating why .......... sometimes I'm succesfull sometimes not.

Same here...I know what I am prepared to offer or take ito a sale....

I have the opposite problem - I tend to advertise at what I think is a market related price.

I always get clowns offering me 50-70% of the asking price CASH. Apparently capitalising the CASH makes me want to drop my pants and hand over the goods whilst getting bum raped with no lube.

Edit: After typing that I just realised I did a similar thing to a hubber earlier in the week. Double face plant for me....

Whenever I get this kind of offer I shake my head thinking: how should this deal be concluded otherwise?

By cheque perhaps- pfft