Why We Shouldn't Bike with a Helmet

GaryvdM

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Dont'; agree...if you get hit by a car during a commute youre gonna hit the ground at more speed as a result of the impact, and hit your head harder, you would want a helmet. A buddy of mine and a collegue were commuting, and they had split, the collegue got hit by a car , not wearing a helmet(years ago) and spent 3 weeks in hospital. But, its up to you.

There are arguments both for and against.

In my PERSONAL experience, a helmet has saved me from serious head injury on at least two occasions.

However, having moved to the UK, most people cycle here without helmets! It's really weird after having been in SA where helmet wearing is stressed. I was in Cambridge the other day and the roads are packed with cyclists of all types and ages, men, women and children. Very few (less than 10%?) wear helmets!

Several reasons are given for not enforcing helmet use:

- if people were forced to wear helmets, lots of people would no longer ride. This would (possibly) lead to more deaths (apparently) due to less exercise and more cars on the roads;

- helmets can cause other life-threatening injuries (especially "rotational" injuries), that may lead to death;

- cyclists feel more protected, so take more risks and ride faster.

And the main reason:

- Boris Johnson refuses to wear one.

In my opinion, I think bicycle helmets are a must (I will never ride without one).

Having bounced off a car windscreen and landed head first in the middle of van Buuren road I'll stick to wearing a helmet thanks. Helmet was broken, I was concussed but I'm still riding ...

Cars have a false sense of security... Just like those beehive-like complexes they're building everywhere...

Remember stats have also shown that cars tend to dive closer to a cyclist wearing a helmet than one who doesn't.

Me?

I'll stick with the helmet thanks... My head is important... And if I can have more protection, I'll take it. Even if it's only effective at 4 kms per hour, you can't logically say it's not better than nothing.

Although maybe for you TT and Tri boys, a bald head may be better for training! Hahaha

that whole argument about if must wear helmet wont ride. If personal choice,then go ride/drive on any side of the road you want to... same rubbish counter argument as the if u dont drive with a helmet pls dont argue (ignorance is enormous here considering the airbags and crap in cars...)

anyways, helmet for me. fallen enough times to appreciate their value, helmet hair be damned.

Yeah the thing is, I can see how riding without one in a country that is cyclist friendly and action accountable, sure... If you're only going to commute on a hipster fixie, you won't be riding fast.

Our cycling community is very different.

We ride on the road. Fast.

We ride off rode. Fast.

We ride with drivers who do not consider us vehicles, therefore hey treat us like crap on the road.

I think you're an idiot if you are ok with no helmet on South African roads. But hey... Maybe we don't really need those kinda thinkers in our gene pool?

good point afdelite: you've underscored an important aspect of how different things are here vs 'over there'. ppl just point and say " they dont use bike helmets" and go on to use that as if it's a universal truth. But it's a gross oversimplification and hides the whole truth, adn that is that in those countries with a large proportion of cycling commuters versus public and own-car commuters, there are laws that govern proper use of the road for all types of commuters, there's dedicate infrastructure that makes adherence to those rules a near no brainer, and there are laws that severely punish those that transgress, motorists and cyclists alike.

and definitely agreed on the gene pool aspect. The stupids will rubbish themselves eventually.

Edited by Capricorn

Even a failure to uncleat fall can be serious as I found out when my new helmet cracked as my head slammed on the ground

I was run over by a motorist in 2007. My helmet was smashed. I do not want to know what my head would have looked like without it. I actually think it saved my life. And I almost never wore it for that ride as I was just going for a short +- 8km training ride.

I'll agree with him, we do live in a culture of fear....

But that's about it.. We also NEED to wear helmets...

For thoses that don't great you must not have anything worth protecting. So carry on.

I'll err on the statistics side...

helmuts save more lives than other way round...

ple pass on a copy of these stats...