So Giant may dump their 29ers!

nigelhicks

Never seen a thread, albeit repetitive, draw out so much aggro and insults. Is the Hub becoming a snob gathering meeting place or have some people just gone nose out of joint because they have invested in 29er's which were hailed as the second coming?

I own all three. 26", 650b, 29er. At the end of the day if I have to make a choice it would be 29er by far. But that is imo.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I own all three. 26", 650b, 29er. At the end of the day if I have to make a choice it would be 29er by far. But that is imo.

So do I but I would keep my 650b

Duplicate threads merged.

Talk Giant and wheel sizes, but ease up on the name calling!

If you have a look at the Giant range, this might very well be an elaborate exercise to rationalise their range.

There was always too much overlap between Trance and Reign anyway, with trance being a bit too close to Anthem, and Reign being a bit too close to Reign X.

Giant already dumped the Faith a year ago.

ya man 650b carbon momsen was mad awesome.

my 9er still is a lekker xc bike.

think if you only have to have one bike then 650B is the best.

Ill build one again next year for the collection...

but this time will be full suspension!

27.5" for cross country. 29er for marathon racing. this is how it should be marketed as. downhill and enduro can do 26 still not so much peddling.

Ja, I more or less agree here.

Besides 26 has been around for so long, is it really wise to get rid of it or even 29, some people like the choices and the different ride each one gives.

Any way, out of all of this the wheel went bigger and it was decided later that a smaller wheel is better so instead of going back to 26 a compromise was made and 650B it is.

Im not sure how "true" this is ... but i got word last night from a very informed industry insider that Giant are doing this as they have not been able to get the geometries of their 29ers spot on ...

So again it comes down to what they try and push into the market and make us "believe" that this is THE THING TO HAVE ...

You can make a brilliant 26er, 650B or 29er if your geometry is correct .... if its wrong .... no matter the wheelsize ... a *** bike is a *** bike ....

wish we could get the true inside story as to why they are doing this - they really are gonna loose sales IMO ....

That makes sense. With their suspension design they can't get the chainstays any shorter than they are. And they are longer than everyone else. Their sales must be hurting already.

To be honest - even though i am personally not a huge fan of 29ers ... For SA riding they are probably the best bet

We dont have hills like in Europe etc and the races are all geared to Marathon events, so in this instance the 29er is the way to go ...

From a SA perspective then i think Giant will loose out slightly in the market as we will continue to be 29er focussed.

Personally i like the fact that there are so many options available at the moment, but im sure for product development, it means new molds, new tests and new everything for each bike at each wheelsize dependant on the intended discipline ... this can only but be expensive ... When its just one std size, this limits the amount of R&D required to some extent and therefore reduces initial costs.

Maybe thats what Giant are thinking about ...

What ever works for the rider, did you see nino at last weekend's world cup open a huge gap on a descent with his hardtail 650b over a full suss 29er, on paper that shouldnt happen.

For the 2nd time I've sold my 29er in favour of a 26er. But I'm just looking for an excuse for being slower, with my end9 I had no excuse,

so I say go big or go back to 26", the inbetween size is just a crutch for the bike industry to drum up some sales....

They are hanging on to the anthem 29er for another two years (if i understand the press release) probably to see if the markets wants both sizes in a viable amount.

I am pretty keen on the Advanced 1 29er- assuming it will be a few months before the 2014 models land here, including their 15% (hopefully just) price hike due to our lovely currency.

That makes sense. With their suspension design they can't get the chainstays any shorter than they are. And they are longer than everyone else. Their sales must be hurting already.

Why would they want the chainstays any shorter when the longer wheelbase is the attraction?

What ever works for the rider, did you see nino at last weekend's world cup open a huge gap on a descent with his hardtail 650b over a full suss 29er, on paper that shouldnt happen.

Generally I don't get involved in wheel size threads, but what you said above just about summarise the small effect of wheel size(relative to other factors, such as skills, fitness and endurance). The rider will still have the biggest influence on performance.

Pick your poison, train to get your body and riding style adapted to the bike you have picked and then race the hell out of it.

I'm going to wait until they release the 31er and then we will have the 26/650b/29/31 debate.

Why would they want the chainstays any shorter when the longer wheelbase is the attraction?

Pfffffft...

You just remove your foot out of your mouth to give the other one a chance, don't you?