[Event] NISSAN TRAILSEEKER #3 Van Gaalens

Tim_Fair

I had several multiple personality disorders through the first 18km.. battled with the climbing and blew heart rate into the sky and would have given my mtb to the nearest taker at one stage.. but.... it got better thank heavens and after swearing I will never race again (let alone this venue).. I am ready to work harder and will do it again next year. I may be slow but I FINISHED and that is ultimately what its about. Fighting the quitting demons. Rode a lot more of the downhill technical bits (albeit with a few shrieks in between) so was well chuffed. This race reminds me of childbirth... you forget the pain and trauma of it within hours.

MAN those ICE COLD Savannahs went down well along with those awesome Steers chips!!!

Thanks Nissan & (not so FUN) Gaalen!!! See you next year!

Well done Mons!!

• Replies 856
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Normally, I finish in the last 20% of the field, I am fit but not fast but I have one thing that I do relatively well which is when the going gets technical I am in my element. Will I beat a very good technical rider? No, but yesterday I beat 60% of the field which really shows how tough the course was. What I could observe from my batch which, was C by the way, was that many of the riders encountered this sort of terrain for the first time and they were clueless. Body position on the bike was way too far forward, no momentum, hesitation instead of attack, head position looking where they should not be going They fell, they got up, they complained, they laughed and some even cried but you know what they finished and they learned.

My own race was also not flawless I had a little off when I tried to get onto the single track adjacent to the railway line. Thinking that I had spotted a gap in the disused railway way line I tried to bunny hop to the left but hidden in the grass was a length of railway line which caught my rear wheel and it slid out causing me to take tumble in front of a young rider from Affies fixing a puncture. With a huge grin on his face he asked "is Oom owraait?" Having seen this same youngster as well as some of his school mates eating dirt earlier I responded by saying "wat lag jy, julle Affies manne is manne is meer affie bike as oppie bike". We both had chuckle and got on with the ride.

What impressed me most about yesterday's ride was the shear courage displayed by some of the female riders, the number I saw taking big falls was scary, but I did not see one giving up and that's what makes heroes in my book, well done to all of you! To be fair yesterday's conditions suited my skill set but I know that for the rest of the year I am going to get my butt kicked so if you see me walking around with a grin on face this week be happy for me, because it won't last!

I don't agree Clinton - it's people going beyond their limits that causes them to crash (or swerving for other people) - in my eye the route was good. Yes, some technical places, but you could walk ALL of them and had PLENTY warning to get off beforehand.

MTBers should HTFU :D

I agree .I was a A batch seeding and walked a lot of the climbs,mostly to avoid cramping and parts of the descent .I also did my over the HB on that treacherous descent .I gave way to a rider just to see him crash 10m in front .A lot of riders don,t have the experience when to get of and walk .I have ridden a lot of technical courses and this is up there at number 1 or 2 .When i got to the end of that descent my thought,s were .What carnage is going to happen behind me !And it did!I still managed to be on the 2 page of the results and i can still work tomorrow

My own race was also not flawless I had a little off when I tried to get onto the single track adjacent to the railway line. Thinking that I had spotted a gap in the disused railway way line I tried to bunny hop to the left but hidden in the grass was a length of railway line which caught my rear wheel and it slid out causing me to take tumble in front of a young rider from Affies fixing a puncture. With a huge grin on his face he asked "is Oom owraait?"

Aaaaaaah, the famous rail track. Had the same experience last year with similar conditions and thought processes. Also looked for the gap, tried to take it, bike found rail and kept on going straight. I went totally over the handlebars, started an air run midway through my Superman impersonation and landed on my feet. Kept on running because of the momentum and ended up 15 m from my bike in the tall grass. Luckily no injuries and by the sound of it also not in your case.

Glad it turned out well for you. That rail track did not feature on the marathon this year (or did I miss it in my state of "what the hell did you get yourself into?").

Nice one! The 70 was hard - maybe not as much climbing as some of the others but very challenging. Enjoyed the technical bits, especially the descent. Well organised, good vibe at the venue. Congestion not too bad for the number of people involved. In all a big thumbs up all round.

It's a 'Pacenti Quasi Moto MTB', cost an arm and a leg from CWC, but I have concluded the bead does not seal properly, gauging with the amount of Stans that has solidified along the outside of the bead.

Those are the kakkest tyres. Absolute waste of money.

I have some new Rocket Rons to can take and replace when yours arrive.

Pm me

What an awesome event looking back after getting some proper rest in. Rode all the technical sections, with no dismounts throughout the race. It's fun to get that type of terrain where you really get challenged, where you focus and commit. We don't really get to ride that type of terrain enough in out "normal" rides. All in all fun and tough.

I did the 40k (Age restriction meant I couldn't enter 70)

Which I am very glad I did!

25k's in I managed to snap 2 adjacent links in my chain.

Needless to say as am a weight weenie and didn't have a power link or multitool with a chain breaker on me as that would have added FAR to much weight and NEVER be needed! Well I most certainly needed one.

So I ripped off my chain, stuffed in my pocket, dropped my saddle and made one of these bad boys fit for a 6ft 1' individualpost-36974-0-76374500-1379260448_thumb.jpg

'Rode' or 'Ran' for ten K's like that and then found a nice guy who was more than happy to give me his multitool and power link. Thanks Ben! :clap:

Fun race, pity a few tech sections got a bit congested but overall despite my push bike, Great day out on the bike.

I had a good ride but was rather disappointed at all badly injured and dehydrated participants in the parking lot spectator areas and medical tents . I must have seen at least a dozen people with collar bone fractures . This level or race should be designed for a manageable challenge not to see so many of the competitors off for surgery .

I agree, this series is advertised as a fun loving family event. I get that there are super capable mtb'ers out there and that you may love this kind of thing. I also get that you can get off and walk. But then it is no longer a ride but more a hike right.

If you want to be ultra technical, ride a trail, or cross country, but races for the masses should not be that harsh. I am certain that only 10% of those that rode yesterday could ride the whole marathon. Not what I would call catering for your demographic.

Will I be there next year? Hell yeah. But for now ill just sit back and watch the backlash.

I had several multiple personality disorders through the first 18km.. battled with the climbing and blew heart rate into the sky and would have given my mtb to the nearest taker at one stage.. but.... it got better thank heavens and after swearing I will never race again (let alone this venue).. I am ready to work harder and will do it again next year. I may be slow but I FINISHED and that is ultimately what its about. Fighting the quitting demons. Rode a lot more of the downhill technical bits (albeit with a few shrieks in between) so was well chuffed. This race reminds me of childbirth... you forget the pain and trauma of it within hours.

MAN those ICE COLD Savannahs went down well along with those awesome Steers chips!!!

Thanks Nissan & (not so FUN) Gaalen!!! See you next year!

Spotted you in the D batch, waved from the front but you were chatting up the guys next to you :D

Big ups for finishing the race, it was a proper tough one.

was my first vg and I must admit I hated it. Was in batch c with the fuji bike and the ski kit. came down in the first 4 km, when I wasn't paying attention and hit a rock over one of those bumps. Nothing to serious, but those rock in the ascents and descents killed me I rather walk satellite down.

I was gonna do the chicken run, but when i saw the route you had to walk I turned around and another rider told me you only live once, I decided to try the bridge at least I made it.

Then I ran out of drinks, rode without water for about 10 km, got to a water point to be served luke warm water and watered down powerade. Then as I got to 62 km i started pushing cause they said 66 km, only when I reached 65 it said 5 to go. Ran out of water again.

I was dead after the race, took 2 botlles of 32gi , recovery shake and a shower to get me feeling better again.

Not even the jock touched me half as much as this race finishing time of 5:15 with a ride time of 4:51. That is 24 minutes of walking!!!

Im afraid i might have lost my passion for mtbing, I have done all 3 marathons now, but I am thinking of scaling down to the 40 for the next one. whats the point if you dont enjoy it

was my first vg and I must admit I hated it. Was in batch c with the fuji bike and the ski kit. came down in the first 4 km, when I wasn't paying attention and hit a rock over one of those bumps. Nothing to serious, but those rock in the ascents and descents killed me I rather walk satellite down.

I was gonna do the chicken run, but when i saw the route you had to walk I turned around and another rider told me you only live once, I decided to try the bridge at least I made it.

Then I ran out of drinks, rode without water for about 10 km, got to a water point to be served luke warm water and watered down powerade. Then as I got to 62 km i started pushing cause they said 66 km, only when I reached 65 it said 5 to go. Ran out of water again.

I was dead after the race, took 2 botlles of 32gi , recovery shake and a shower to get me feeling better again.

Not even the jock touched me half as much as this race finishing time of 5:15 with a ride time of 4:51. That is 24 minutes of walking!!!

Im afraid i might have lost my passion for mtbing, I have done all 3 marathons now, but I am thinking of scaling down to the 40 for the next one. whats the point if you dont enjoy it

We only live once !.I feel your sentiments .I cursed every meter of jo biliksem and vowed never to do this event again,.but that happend with my first magalies monster too.I noticed there are 3 masters riders that broke 4h .Well done !and to dubber that had no dismounts and rode all of it

I agree, this series is advertised as a fun loving family event. I get that there are super capable mtb'ers out there and that you may love this kind of thing. I also get that you can get off and walk. But then it is no longer a ride but more a hike right.

If you want to be ultra technical, ride a trail, or cross country, but races for the masses should not be that harsh. I am certain that only 10% of those that rode yesterday could ride the whole marathon. Not what I would call catering for your demographic.

Will I be there next year? Hell yeah. But for now ill just sit back and watch the backlash.

From the race description on

http://advendurance....es/trailseeker3

"This is an extreme challenge, especially when the area is blessed with rain. We offer 8.54 km, 17.3km, 35.6km and 66.1km routes of extreme mountain bike exhilaration that is not to be underestimated by even the most extreme mountain bikers."

Sounds pretty clear to me. The word "extreme" is only used 3 times in once sentence. It's no secret that Van Gaalen is technical. I don't think there's any misrepresentation.

I hope they don't dumb it down. Then it becomes just another "dirt-roadie" race. There's plenty of these on offer. If people want real mountain biking races, which they do, they must expect to be challenged technically. I for one relish the challenge. And if one's skills are found wanting that's an incentive to brush up on them in the mean time and come back better prepared next time round. Or go do easier events that are known to be less technical.

Edited by beanz

High season for LBS tomorrow!?

I for one need to take in a out-of-true front rim for some special attention. Got knocked hard on the descent's embryo mountain structures.

Rode past one guy with two broken spokes making a nice clickaty-clackity sound.

Any other hubbers with some notable hardware damage?

Edited by BarHugger

Just a comment on the waterpoints - have a dedicated one for the marathon riders at the Greek church, just before you know what! Arrived at the last waterpoint with no water avaiable. Was told there was a tap at the church. The water smelled however like it came from an overflowing septic tank (yukk). A big thumbs up to all the riders that started sharing water and drinks. Saw one lady giving away her last fluid to a rider from the 40km that got the route wrong, did not get water at the last waterpoint and completed the final section with the marathoners. There were some broken bodies and souls on the last stretch of the course.

Did she have a 3 towers shirt on and a blue intense spider bike. My GF handed out water near the end. I think she knew i had a cold beer waiting for her at the end :-)