Argus 2014

vaalkol

After taking 1:40 to do the first 6 km's due to some technical issues it was a hard ride after that. My group was long gone and I was left trying to pick up the pieces with the unseeded at the tail end. With the knowledge of a social ride ahead I found myself yo-yo'ing from bunch to bunch all way from Eastern Boulevard to Suikerbossie. It was not that fun doing those gusty windy patches alone! Awesome ride as always though. The brilliant organisation once again highlights the downfalls in so many other events.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Who was the beast of a hubber in B in hubkit on a mtb?

Don't know, but I warned him that if he mentions he did a 3:10 on a 29er with knobblies I'd come and find him and hurt him.

Who were the the fools on the Tandem that took out the guys in front of Cherise Stander!

I don't have DSTV, so missed that.

Is it on YouTube yet? Anyone with a link?

except mine :(

Think it is that double loop - all the guys and girls I know that did 2 loops are missing results. Wonder if someone informed Racetec that their were actually a whole bunch that were allowed to do it?

M3 crash

My 12 year old son doing his first argus in l group. He worked hard for that seeding only to go down in that crash. A very disappointed boy spent the night in Christian Barnard. But he's doing fine and ready for next year. He still doesn't know what happened

We started in PA and just before you come off the Blue Route a few people went down behind us. Apparently some people were doing a selfie on the bike (!!!! HUH), touch of wheels and down you go.

The most interesting bike was a tandem that was single speed, tiny wheels, and seemed to have independent cranks! The co pilot crank was on the right, and the pilot on the left, no gears, and they pedalled independent of one another. They also were advertising them as being sold for R2000, so maybe they made them or something.

The worst, were the falls. One person just after Smits with a drip and neckbrace, and then seeing the helicopter come in at the water point to collect.

And then coming down little chappies, bikes touched from over taking on the left, and the bloke went over the mountain and down the side. I just kept going to find a marshall!

The sour, an A batch rider (have his number and photo) doing a second lap with his VB mate pushing an OB rider to the finish getting people to move out way.

Luckily that guy did not fall all the way down the side of moutain. He was brought back up with not too much effort.

Okay heres my predictions after putting all your previous results and winning times for ARGUS VB from 2012 & 2013 into my winnometer!!!!!

Your finishing time will be in a range from 2:58 to 3:05. Wez-O time was 3:08:27 factoring in the wind, my winnometer was fairly accurate. You will hang with the front bunch of VB Stupid error I made as he raced in B until possibly after Smitswinkel where the older more experienced riders will hand you your ass because you youngsters have no stamina or endurance. The front bunch will not get closer than 1:00 min of the front bunch of VA VA & VB winning time was the same at 2:50:50 and if there was a 1 min starting gap means they never got better than 1 min of each other. The winning time of VB will be approx. 2:55 and you will finish approx. 3:00 to 4:00 min behind them.

Okay so my winnometer was a bit inaccurate but who would have thought VB & VA times would be better than last year when factoring in the wind. In addition I should have used last years VB & B group times and not VA & VB.

Needless to say WEZ-O that was a respectable time so well done.

Erm!!!! at which point of the race did they hand you your ass :devil:

After taking 1:40 to do the first 6 km's due to some technical issues ...

:eek:

That's not some technical issues ... it's a message to turn around and go home. LOL

Who were the the fools on the Tandem that took out the guys in front of Cherise Stander!

After using a little guess work, and seeing as they were rather close to the line as Cherise crossed the line. I would add 4 minutes to Cherise time and then look for the Tandem that finished after that.

The pair came +-300th according to my sherlock holmes deductions. Unless you are racing for a title or money stay out the way in my opinion. I got to the finish straight and sat up as was just happy that got my sub 3.

Edited by skistar15

I don't know who they were, but the guys they took down were rightfully p*ssed.! :cursing:

Think it is that double loop - all the guys and girls I know that did 2 loops are missing results. Wonder if someone informed Racetec that their were actually a whole bunch that were allowed to do it?

My first lap is up :) The guys at racetec are really jacked up and am sure will rectify the results without any nagging :P

Will be skew the stats people pull from racetec now, as the total number of finishers will increase. (Not by alot though)

I don't know who they were, but the guys they took down were rightfully p*ssed.! :cursing:

Ja that was not on. And then one of the top woman in the race, doesnt even get seen between al the riders, they should split the top 3 woman 1km before the end or something like that. Like in marathons!

Okay so my winnometer was a bit inaccurate but who would have thought VB & VA times would be better than last year when factoring in the wind. In addition I should have used last years VB & B group times and not VA & VB.

Needless to say WEZ-O that was a respectable time so well done.

Erm!!!! at which point of the race did they hand you your ass :devil:

I must say when I crested suikerbossie and looked down at my Garmin and it said 2:29 I could not believe it!

If you check on strava the stretch from Smits to top of suikerbosie was fast, beat my last years 3:01 time by 11 minutes

Started in T, bunch was split from the word go but managed to stick with until Jubilee Square then a guy dropped his half frozen water bottle on his top tube it jumped my way and booof I ended up wiping out doing got some bruises and road rash both on myself and my bike but i'll be fine.

After that it took me some time to get going again my calf pulled stiff as I got up to get out of the way, nevertheless completed in 3:51 riding mostly alone.

I must say the small bunches worked well off the start, HOWEVER the bunch riding skills of many can do with great improvement as guys overtook on the left, slow riders were cycling to the extreme right of the road not giving a dam about faster riders passing.

Smits got so chaotic and jammed pack everyone just decided to cruise and occupy the entire road leaving no space for the faster bunches to come through.

Edited by Malpiet