Argus 2014

vaalkol

Ek en my vrou was in die ongeluk op die M3. Haar sleutelbeen is af en sy het harsingskudding. Sy was vir ongeveer 3 minute bewusteloos en in daardie tyd het daar bloed by haar mond uitgekom. 'n Ander vrou langs haar in die hospitaal se oog is amper weg in dieselfde ongeluk. Dit sou my 11 de een wees en ek het al 'n 2:58 gery so ek kan bietjie fietsry. Ek is egter klaar met die Argus.

Sorry to hear L2C. Hope she heals up fast. Wrong place + wrong time = bad experience.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ek en my vrou was in die ongeluk op die M3. Haar sleutelbeen is af en sy het harsingskudding. Sy was vir ongeveer 3 minute bewusteloos en in daardie tyd het daar bloed by haar mond uitgekom. 'n Ander vrou langs haar in die hospitaal se oog is amper weg in dieselfde ongeluk. Dit sou my 11 de een wees en ek het al 'n 2:58 gery so ek kan bietjie fietsry. Ek is egter klaar met die Argus.

Ouch, jammer om te verneem. Ek sou ook klaar met Argus wees as dit met my gebeur het. Ek reken daar's te veel deelnemers, en die organiseerders jaag geld. Daar hoort langer pouses tussen groepe te wees, al neem dit langer om weg te spring en klaar te maak. Elke jaar neem sulke onnodige ongelukke toe, maar hulle doen niks daaromtrent nie.

Hoop julle word gou gesond. Laat weet hoe dit gaan.

Ek en my vrou was in die ongeluk op die M3. Haar sleutelbeen is af en sy het harsingskudding. Sy was vir ongeveer 3 minute bewusteld het daar bloed by haaI was also in L and witness that horrific fall but fortunately managed to escape it unscatged. I really hope your wife and tge otgers recover soon. Voorspoed!r mond uitgekoI was also in m. 'n Ander vrou langs haar in die hospitaal se oog is amper weg in dieselfde ongeluk. Dit sou my 11 de een wees en ek het al 'n 2:58 gery so ek kan bietjie fietsry. Ek is egter klaar met die Argus.

I nearly got caught in that L group accident, have never braked so hard before in my life. One moment gunning along to keep the average speed up, the next moment bodies rolling on the floor and bikes flipping in the air.

I was so scared that I was going to ride over the guy on the tandem that crashed infront of me, they were literally sliding and tumbling on the road while I had my back wheel locked out and bike sideways, only just managed to stop in time and unclipped standing on top of the bikes scattered infront of me. Thanks to the riders behind me for stopping in time as well.

To be honest I didn't pay much attention to the casualties, first thing I did was looked at another person's back for the emergency number and called for an ambulance, then started pulling bikes out of the road. This was also the first time I had seen so much blood before in my life, a ladies face had a good amount of skin taken off, the rest was all a blur of bodies in the chaos. Waved frantically to slow down the next group coming along at a speed.

Hope all those involved recover swiftly, and get back on their bikes after recovery without discouragement.

On a lighter note, I managed a 3:31 for my 2nd Argus ever! I have been cycling for 2 months over a year, and intend to break that 3 hour wall next year.

Edited by Yusran

My believe is that the groups are too big when hit the M3. With the speed that the big groups get to on the M3, and can only spell disaster. In the wind of today you only need one gust or someone making a small mistake, and it's a disaster. Edinburgh drive is not enough to thin the groups out.

Edit: I believe the organisers should cut the M3 out after Edinburgh drive and maybe go through a slower course to Muisenberg.

Edited by Moridin

That B/C group was nuts! I feared for my life most of the way. Managed to stick with the front all the way to the end. 2:55 ish.

I agree. The one minute gap between B & C was stupid, no surprise that they caught us at UCT. The first 50km of the Argus is seriously the most sucky and nerve wrecking ride on the calender for me by far. Happy that I was able to work my way to the front of the group after Simonstown and stick with them for most of the way after the split at Smits, only lost them on the Chappies descent but I think I juuuust managed a sub-3, or maybe one of those unlucky buggers with a 03:00:01 time - so waiting for the racetec results with baited breath...

2nd lap - Wind was definitely a bigger factor for the backmarkers, wind felt stronger and there are no groups to hide in, everybody ride their own pace. Struggled until Simonstown as the legs were dead tired after the first lap - didn't exactly pace myself earlier the morning. Felt better after resting at Jubilee square and enjoyed the vibe & wind at the back on the second half. Saw a few instances of shockingly bad bike handling skills and one or 2 a$%eholes aggresively chasing their sub 5 or second lap screaming abuse at people not getting out of their way quickly enough.

Anyone know the winning time?

2:39.01according to bicycling magazine

Ladies: 2:51.00

Edited by Maniax

dang no! Im changing the ss gear ratio, man oh man the straights was a struggle, very frustrating!

Regtig 'n slegte ding om deur te gaan. Ek hoop jou vrou en al die beseerdes herstel gou en volledig. Ek dink daar sal 'n plan gemaak moet word om die groepe kleiner te maak of meer te versprei. Kom probeer dalk die 94.7 - dit voel vir my baie minder chaoties.

I agree. The one minute gap between B & C was stupid, no surprise that they caught us at UCT. The first 50km of the Argus is seriously the most sucky and nerve wrecking ride on the calender for me by far. Happy that I was able to work my way to the front of the group after Simonstown and stick with them for most of the way after the split at Smits, only lost them on the Chappies descent but I think I juuuust managed a sub-3, or maybe one of those unlucky buggers with a 03:00:01 time - so waiting for the racetec results with baited breath...

2nd lap - Wind was definitely a bigger factor for the backmarkers, wind felt stronger and there are no groups to hide in, everybody ride their own pace. Struggled until Simonstown as the legs were dead tired after the first lap - didn't exactly pace myself earlier the morning. Felt better after resting at Jubilee square and enjoyed the vibe & wind at the back on the second half. Saw a few instances of shockingly bad bike handling skills and one or 2 a$%eholes aggresively chasing their sub 5 or second lap screaming abuse at people not getting out of their way quickly enough.

I agree here. I saw quite a few instances where these fast guys coming through for their second lap caused panic amongst the backmarkers. Maybe they just don't realise that most of the backmarkers are not that skilled in riding, or maybe they just don't care.

I saw 3 MTB's around me in the C starting pen. 1 had slicks on. I still gave the guy on the Santa a tow down from Smits (brand loyalty).

I agree here. I saw quite a few instances where these fast guys coming through for their second lap caused panic amongst the backmarkers. Maybe they just don't realise that most of the backmarkers are not that skilled in riding, or maybe they just don't care.

I think most who did their second lap were quite chilled, but yes you always get the odd selfish bastard that have to spoil it for the others. Personally I enjoyed checking out the scenery and stopping at water points without stressing about the clock.